2013/2014 Pistons news and Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Daly and McCloskey were a great team. They built something special. It took a lot of guts and a certain amount of luck to achieve what they did. How many banners would be hanging in the Palace now had the Pacers picked Rodman in 86 and we got Greg Dreiling or Larry Krystkowiak instead? Or if Dumars didn't fall to us in 1985 and we picked Alfredrick Hughes or Steve Harris? An NBA championship is always a very precious, amazing thing. It's never a done deal, or a foregone conclusion who will win the title and there certainly is no inevitability to anything - the fact that this year's finals MVP is a quiet kid and not the King of basketball is a testament to that. There is no reason to belittle anybody's achievements. SVG's record included.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

MAKING THE CASE FOR GREG MONROE
    Since Rasheed checked out after the 2004 title and resorted to bombing away from the 3pt line, we have not had a reliable low-post scorer on the roster. For years, that has been our primary weakness as we lived and died by the jump shot. Then in 2010, somehow Greg "the Moose" Monroe slipped to us. From his rookie campaign on, he has been a reliable scorer in the post. Both with his back to the basket and facing the basket. There are definitely holes in his game - he is not the intimidating shot blocker for instance. However, he does bring other qualities to the table. He has quick hands on defense and gets above average steals for a big man. He's also a talented passer. Once he was in place, we all wished for an athletic, defensive rim protector to complement Moose. That's right, we all were wishing for someone to play second fiddle to Moose. In 2012, our prayers were answered when inexplicably Drummond fell to us. We ended up getting more than we wanted. The basketball gods were finally smiling on the weary Pistons. We had what promised to be the very foundation of a contender, two talented young bigs that had the potential to dominate the league for years to come.

2 years later, we can't wait to dump Greg Monroe. We have a very talented, smart young player whose skills are still on the rise and we are ok with getting rid of him for peanuts. I don't like this, and I'm tired of all the negativity around this nice kid. It seems like everyday a contract is not signed, another Moose flaw surfaces in the form of a renewed emphasis on the lack of vertical leap, or some imaginary character flaw manufactured in the darkest abyss of the bored-over-the-summer NBA blogosphere.

I WANT US TO KEEP MONROE!

I hope he gets a good contract from us and I hope he stays a Piston for a very long time. Let's try to focus on the positives of Moose for a change. Enjoy the following:

Greg Monroe Triple Double vs. Kings: 21 points, 12 rebounds, 11 assists, 1 steal - YouTube
    Greg Monroe to Andre Drummond assist highlights - YouTube (funny comment on this video)
    Greg Monroe Career High 35 Points Full Highlights (12/19/2012) - YouTube

and of course, who can forget this:
    Monroe Steals Wall's Thunder - YouTube
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If I remember correctly, Carlisle was a Daly guy. RC did a nice job in Indy, Detroit and now Dallas. Definitely a top 5 coach in the NBA.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    Woody likes this.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not if you want to win in the long run. In the short run, if you already have an assembled team, Carlisle can find winning strategies based on what roster he has. But growing that roster - do not look for Carlisle to be of any help. I'd pass on Carlisle for the same reason I would pass on Karl, they think player developement is someone else's job.
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So who would you go for these days?
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He has won everywhere he has been. Everywhere. Same thing with SVG.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

That argument doesn't hold water. Good coaches make good players look great. Bad coaches make good players look bad. How about the Lakers with Nash/Kobe/Howard/Gasol etc. Supposed to be contenders - 8th seed and a first round exit. Brooklyn - most expensive team ever assembled. 1st round exit followed by a second round exit.
  8. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Classic man classic.
    Walter likes this.
  9. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Players development was all but GM's dream which never exist in reality.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm down with the 3 big rotation at pf and c. But can't pay moose max and succeed.
    del and The Panda like this.
  11. The Panda

I'm guilty of this, but...

More to the point, we can't spend so much of the available cap on just two positions. If we give Monroe the rookie max (15m/yr), then all of a sudden we have that + 13m/yr for Smith and $4m/yr for Drummond wrapped up. That's half the salary cap. The sad reality is that superstar FA's are not going to come to Detroit, at least until we have built a strong team. We need to build a balanced team.

Let me just say, that if we got Moose at 11-12 million a year, I would be ecstatic. He still has plenty of room to grow. But the point is that it is possible we can extract more value in terms of fit and wins by trading him for a position of need
    max and Walter like this.
  12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm confused. Who wants to get rid of Monroe?
    brofmfa likes this.
  13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

So far there is no trade partner at the horizon, Moose has approximately one month to sign a contract.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A good coach for a situation does not make a good coach for a different situation. The Pistons are not ready to win it all this season. So a guy like Carlisle is not the right choice. We need to develop a team yet. We need a coach who can do that.
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Yo lee, regarding coaching -- I have the same question for you as the one that CJ asked...

16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I know George Irvine would be on the list.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I pay no attention to who said or asked what. So ask me your question and I will be glad to reply.
  18. The Panda

SVG is just a good coach. End discussion.

I think we will see a marked improvement in the play of this team next year.
  19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...seriously lee? ...Who would you HIRE to coach your Pistons?
    (Try viewing the forum frame by frame or something.)
    Walter, junior, coynejeremy and 4 others like this.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I would have kept Cheeks. Dumars is the guy who should have left. Not Cheeks.