2013/2014 Pistons news and Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 24, 2013.

1. tnt1960

tnt1960 Bench Warmer

2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

@ lee - If you're still going to that open practice on Saturday, I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say that we'd love to here a "leecap" of that thing.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A bit ill at the moment. I dearly want to go. But I don't have the energy to make the drive. So I hope someone else makes it and gives us a good account.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Get well soon amigo!
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

the entire roster from our slow paced teams has been churned, including the coaches. if it continues, it's institutional.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Stuckey is becoming the Lupe Velez of the PF.........
  11. tnt1960

tnt1960 Bench Warmer

12. BillLaimbeer

13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My wife and I wouldn't mind sending our 22 year old son to Fort Wayne so that he could earned $490K a year and hang out with a few BB scrubs. The scrubs he hangs out with these days barely make $490 a month.:cheeky-smiley-012:
    Walter, linwood and Nemo like this.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I watched the game from the Pistons.com site. Here is a summary of what I saw.

Nobody but the 15 signed players were there. No camp invitees were seen, and I have not read of any. Siva is the only guy that did not play. I see it is from a slight calf tear from overuse, and nothing serious, from the article posted above by Bill.

Blue played White. White won, 44-41. A Jennings triple missed at the end that would have tied it. Squads: Blue started Jennings at point, Stuckey at shooting guard, Pope at small forward, JJ at power forward, and Drummond at center. Now, of course, it did not matter who won, but this Blue unit has some major flaws. One, not for a moment, not ever for the slightest fraction of a second, did Stuckey function as a shooting guard in this scrimmage. (He did have one pullup jumper though off a drive in from a pass. His highlight of the game was getting an alley oop to Drummond for a dunk. Otherwise he had a couple of misses.)

Then you got JJ out of position at power forward, while Pope is then out of position at small forward, though its not nearly as bad as JJ playing power forward. Pope did not do well, hitting a 3, with 6 shot attempts. I saw a steal and rebound from him also. JJ had a decent game, nailed a pair of triples and one other make against just 2 misses. So Blue team had just a center, and a decent point, but kept in the game anyway.

Jennings scored a lot. Two three pointers, a conventional 3 point play, 7-8 from the line. I saw a steal and a rebound. Kind of funny on the steal though. Bynum surprises him and steals the ball from him. Bynum takes off with the ball, but Jennings catches him and steals the ball back with ease.

Drummond took lots of shots. Maybe trying to stretch out his repertoire? He scored 11 on 10 shots so not too bad. I really did not count his rebounds to closely but I do not remember many. And on free throws, he initially went from either swishing them or missing badly. Then he settled down a bit and at least kept them close. In all, he was 3 for 9, so no improvement seen yet as far as his stats go. But some hope anyway.

The reserves for Blue were Harrellson and Mitchell. Harrellson did virtually nothing, did not play all that much - though he did get one decent stretch of playing time. One missed shot is all I saw from him. Mitchell got a rebound, got fouled on a shot and swished both free throws. He played along side Harrellson.

Now for the White team. They started Billups, Bynum, Singler, Smith, Monroe. This game started out looking like a slaughter by White, as Bynum, with Billups in there with him, was doing fine. Bynum often brought the ball up, while Billups too handled the ball , and often was the guy making the plays. It was working well. Smith is a scorer, and Monroe is a scorer big time. As Singler can actually knock down an outside shot, they at least had to watch him. Billups did not do much offensively himself, just making a pair of free throws while missing two shots.

Bynum scored 10 on 5 shots (no misses, no trips to the line, no triple tries). A couple of turns though for Bynum. For a while, Billups sat. And the offense for White just sputtered to an absolute halt. Bynum had no clue out there without Billups - and Datome played backup shooting guard at that time.

Smith scored 8 on 8 shots, per my count. (only looked at this once, so hey, I might be off here and there on some of this.) Smith looks like quite a threat around the basket, and does take and make some outside shots.

Singler scored 2 points, and was pretty much invisible out there otherwise.

Monroe scored 16. Man, are we going to love seeing Monroe and Jennings on the same side soon. Monroe missed no shots, but did have a few turns.

Villanueva had a make and a miss off the bench. Datome, the other reserve for White, also connected on a triple, and I noticed he had a couple of boards. Neither player played but one stretch, together, not that short but not that long either.

Oh, if you go to the Pistons official site and look at the clip of the scrimmage, I can tell you to go to 1:37:30 fro the tipoff for the scrimmage. Player intros start at 44:30, and the best look at the cheerleaders is at 2:00
    Walter, BallDon'tLie, kolay and 6 others like this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

Some useful information in that last paragraph. :cheerleader:
    linwood likes this.
  16. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

I liked what I saw in the video of the open practice. Mo was on Jennings about going right and making a right-handed pass in the PnR. At the same time, Sheed was D-ing up Mitchell, Drummond and Harrellson in the post.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, Jennings got to the foul line plenty, and it was from going both right and left pretty much equally. You could see a vast difference in the ability of Jennings to score going left though, and its possible that the Pistons have simply not figured out to let him go right without fouling him, and forcing him to actually make the bucket. So yes, it looked better, but it might be an illusion. Time will tell.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star