Lions 2013---Detroit Lion

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TheeTFD, Jan 8, 2013.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

SOL...same old Lions Two dropped passes by Mega...Over thrown and .Under thrown passes by Stafford, three INT, by Stafford........Seems like two interceptions were thrown on third and short .....

Not sure if the pass to megatron for the two pt conversion was catcheable or not??

The question is who is the better QB....Romo or Stafford??
    How about refs?? Two pass penalties got the Ravens into FG territory and we know what happen there.

Then the non call end the endzone that was obviously should have been a flag called on the ravens defense.

To get beaten by six FG's and one over 60 yards is an omen. The Football gods obviously don't want the Lions to win as long as they are owned by the Ford Family...anybody remember when the Lions were 6-2????
    linwood likes this.
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Plenty of blame to go around on this one.

The refs were horrible, but 2 of those penalties wouldn't have happened if the Lions could tackle. They had Flacco for a sack on both of those plays and whiffed on it. On one of them, TWO Lions had him in the backfield and missed.

Stafford was just horrible. Johnson had 2 HUGE drops. The first one would have likely been 6 points had he held on. That 2pt conversion attempt was all on Johnson. It was actually a perfect pass by Stafford (his only one of the game). Back shoulder against 1-on-1 coverage. Johnson made a horrible play on the ball.

Going empty backfield was an epic fail in this game. We were making HUGE gains in the run game. Why the heck would you want to take that element out of the equation on 3rd and short of all times? Every time we went empty back, the Ravens blitzed right up the gut and disrupted the timing. A back keeps them honest. Not to mention the fact that we were averaging over 5 yards a carry. I like their chances of gaining a yard.

Why the heck did Schwartz not call a timeout on 4th down? Given the field position, the clock was not a factor for the Ravens, but it certainly was for the Lions if the Ravens were to score (which they did). That extra 30 seconds might have made the difference between Stafford feeling that he had to force the issue and feeling he had plenty of time to operate the offence.

And finally, I HATE it when the offensive linemen just stand up and point at the guy when the D jumps offside. TAKE THE FREE PLAY! They finally did once and it worked. Do that EVERY TIME.

I actually haven't minded Schwartz as coach of the Lions. He has definitely been their best coach in 20 years. He took them from 0-16 to the playoffs. But I don't see this team taking the next step under him. It's time to move on. Linehan & Gunther have to go too. I'd give Mayhew another season. This past draft has been outstanding so far and the FAs he brought in have made big contributions.

This team has a few holes, but a lot of talent. They're really not that far away from being a legitimate contender. They're just not there yet. Unfortunately, they're still pretenders.
    Nemo likes this.
  3. LA Dre

The problem is they maybe pretenders for the next 10 years..... There were just too many negative factors in this game that led to a 2 point loss. Eliminating just one of them and the Lions probably had the win..

Any of the first two Megatron drops could have led to 6 or 3 pts..., either of the empty backfield-third-and-short-interceptions could have been converted to a possible FG, and as Jammer indicated the missed opportunity to sack Flacco that led to two FG on the other end.

It's a game of inches and mistakes and the lions are always an inch short and one + mistake more than their opponent.

You have to wonder if the call out by the ravens young corner back on Megatron actually got to him in that first half.

For the Lions to be top 3 in the league in offense and sit at 7-7, something is wrong....one of the coaches has to be held accountable for calling plays that the Lions can't seem to execute. An average of three turns a game in the last 6 games has yielded a record of 1-5

Second time in two nights that a Detroit team gets beaten on a game winning shot or kick and it is the # 1 play of the night..............:cheeky-smiley-012:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  4. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I've seen many bad Lions teams over the last 50 years. Teams that simply have no talent and don't belong in the playoffs.
    This team is NOT one of them. They simply play bad. That's what makes this season so hard to bear is that we have playoff talent.
    It was interesting to watch the two contrasting franchises last night. One has won 4 straight to position themselves for the playoffs.
    They have done whatever it takes to win. Another loses 4 out of 5 games. 4 losses accomplished when we had 4th quarter leads.
    What is sad is that none of us here can surely say that the coaching staff will be deservedly relieved of their duties.
    This is because ownership moves at a snails pace to make decisions. Now I know why Barry Sanders left when he did...........
  5. LA Dre

Although two of the three drops by Megatron are squarely on him, you could see that I-gotta-get-otta-here look on his face when that winning FG went through the uprights....it was as if we can't win when it counts to save our lives. I reviewed the two point conversion attempt about a half a dozen times and contrary to what the announcers were saying, I think even if he had held on to it, he would have been out of bounds.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

happy to see the Dee hold them to FGs. Now that passrush got to Staff and we didn't get to Flacco. All in all we got out defensed. The penalties weren't crazy bad.
    i didn't see a fumble and not all of Staff's picks were his fault. We got beat at home. So we can stay home for the POs.
    it aint over but it's over.
  7. LA Dre

Stafford just doesn't play well in December and January,....and it appears he will never play in February..
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If each game is 50/50 going forward, here are our playoff odds:

.25 x .50 = .125 (1 in 8)

We need to win both and we need gb and chi to not win both. Since they play eachother, that prob is .5. The best way to concive that is to imagine they play eachother first. Whichever team won would have to lose the next game for us to advance. That is a .5 chance.
  9. Nemo

Official odds......

Detroit at 22%
    Green Bay at 27%
    Bears at 51%
  10. LA Dre

Basically in the most simple terms...The Lions beat the Giants and Vikings, the Eagles beat the Bears and the Bears beat the Packers and the Lions win the division....

Lions 9-7 tie breaker
    Bears 9-7
    Packers 8-7-1 or 7-8-1
  11. Nemo

I hate it when the Lions enter the wishing and hoping part of the schedule...
    linwood likes this.
  12. Nemo

I guess I should be happy. We coulda had these results with Titus Young on the roster............
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

when you sleaze into the POs like that it's so sleazy.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Ok I lied about the Ravens being doable. Though it was a close game.
    Giants throw more INTs than anyone and this Manning has 2 SB rings.
    Gmen 24
    Pussies 20
  15. jammertime

The Giants may throw the most INTs, but our secondary is horrible at picking them off.

The story of this season comes down to 1 word: TURNOVERS

Our CBs have a grand total of TWO INTs this year. Both by Houston. Our Safeties have 4 - 2 each by Delmas & Quin. So our entire secondary only has 6 INTs in 14 games, while Levy alone has 6. Add in Tulloch's 1 INT and our LBs have more than all of our CBs & S combined. A total of only 13 INTs on the year, while Stafford has been picked off 17 times.

We've only forced 12 fumbles all year, recovering a paltry 5 of them. Meanwhile our offense is fumbling at an alarming rate.

We're at a -13 turnovers on the season, with many of them coming in the red zone or while our offense was driving down the field.
    BillLaimbeer and linwood like this.
  16. LA Dre

I will change that to two words....LIONS TURNOVERS.......the Lions opposition tends to never have fumbles and as you indicated we haven't had that many INT either.

Even when the Lions are on the move, you tend to hope that any play into the red zone continues into the end zone because the longer they hold on to the ball, the more likely they will fumble it or one of those Stafford side arm passes will bounce off a Lions slippery hands into the defenders sticky hands.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wow, only 5 recovered fumbles? We pay indoors, but that is terrible.
  18. jammertime

Yeah, scary. Especially when you consider that the Lions have lost something like 17 fumbles. Their opponents play on the same field as we do every game. Why such a discrepancy?
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If I buy my tickets online, I'll pay indoors. Sometimes, though, I'll walk up to purchase tickets and pay outdoors.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

rebuild time. Best available RT, DB, QB, DE or 3-4 LB. [just so we can change it up sometime.]