Lions 2013---Detroit Lion

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TheeTFD, Jan 8, 2013.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I disagree. We don't need to rebuild the team, we need to blow-up the coaching staff. We need a new Head Coach, Defensive & Offensive Coordinator.

RT - I've been very impressed with Waddle and we also have Cory Hilliard, who has been solid when called upon. Fox can't stay healthy, but I wouldn't waste a 1-4th round draft pick on the position.

DB - ABSOLUTELY! We have quantity at the position, but we're severely lacking in quality. I don't know how much of that is lack of talent/awareness on the players' part and how much of it is Gunny's ridiculous Don't turn to look for the ball, don't press at the line of scrimmage instead give a 10 yard cushion scheme.

QB - Not a chance. Stafford is our QB for a long time. He's an above average QB with the potential to become Elite with the right coaching. Linehan isn't that coach. He has to go.

DE - Definitely not a priority IMO. We can add a vet or 2 in FA for depth, but we have a young core locked up and Jones should be back 100% as well.

3-4 LB - I wouldn't mind an upgrade to Palmer so that he can move back to a reserve role, but Tulloch & Levy have been great this year. The Lions have played a lot of nickel defence this year, so Palmer has played far less than either of the other two. If they plan on doing the same in the future, that really lowers the value of adding another top draft pick at the position. I definitely wouldn't focus on a 3-4 LB though. Our D-line isn't built for a 3-4 defence. We're built for speed, not for lane clogging.

I think we're only a few players away from being a Super Bowl contender. We have a very good, young core.

As far as I'm concerned, our biggest needs are: CB, WR, K & C (Raiola has played great this year, but he's going to be 35 in a few days)

We could use depth/upgrade at: S, OLB & TE (this will become a priority if Pettigrew doesn't re-sign)

We're set at: P, RB, DT, DE (assuming Young re-signs) & QB (we'll need a backup in a year or 2 when Hill retires, but that needs to be a vet not a rookie)

TheeTFD likes this.
  2. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The coach needs to be fired. The Lions are the most health team in the league. They only have one or two players missing and those players are backups or special team players. The Lions have given games away with their poor clock management, penalties, and turnovers. There is no discipline. This team has peaked and won't get to the next level until a new coach takes control.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

improvements this year: special teams, much improved
    fewer penalties
    better run game

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Penalty yards per game have gone from 28th in the league to 21st in the league.

Rushing improved from 23rd to 18th this year.

Kick return improved from 29th to 6th. Punt return improved from 22nd to 14th.

Giveaway/Takeaway has been 30th two years in a row. This statistic is the killer for the Lions.

roscoe36 likes this.
  5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Agreed and after this abysmal loss at home to NYG, there is no reason to wait until the last game. Do it now. I think Stafford can still be the QB of the future, but he needs a little healthy competition next season.

How about Tom Coughlin as coach? :biggrin:

6. BillLaimbeer

7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

BillLaimbeer likes this.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think our run Dee is a lot better

9. BillLaimbeer

Definitely. The Lions improved from 16th (118.1 ypg) to 4th (98.6 ypg) this year.

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

all that improvement for 3-5 more wins. I don't count the Bucs game, they gave that away. Which could've gotten them a PO berth but NOT.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Bush has fumbled too much. And Bell for that matter.
    WOW accidently closed this page but it was all here when it came back !!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    Darth Tater and coynejeremy like this.
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

In all seriousness that function has saved my butt probably 30-50 times. Sometimes it irritates me when I purposely erase the entire thing and it comes back, but that being said, the benefits/ positives FAR outweigh the negatives. I hate composing a long post and losing it.

13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

18 hours later and I still a little upset about the loss. I haven't ready any commentary or hears any post game comments from the local media or even the national, but the few Lions fans that are left must be feeling more upset than I am. I was even more upset when I found out that both the Bears and Packers lost too. Told Ms. Dre yesterday that I only needed 4 events yesterday to have a great day. A Lions win, a Bears and Packers loss and a Clipper win. We went to the Clipper game and they survived an OT win, but it was bittersweet knowing that the Lions loss had already ruined a perfect day.

This morning all have seen is coverage on Tony Romo keeping the Cowboys alive and will beat up QB's Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler lead their teams to the division title. You all remember that division title thingy....it was in grasp of the Lions who at one point were 5-3 at the bye week and fallen to 1-5 since where they lead in 4 of the five losses only to blow it with multiple turnovers that either stopped a red zone drive or led to the opposition's winning score.

Fumbles by Bush, side arm short interceptions by Stafford, 3rd and short pass plays called by the offensive coordinators, inopertune holding plays by offensive lineman, drop passes by receivers not named Megatron and poor play by the dbacks with braids were the downfall of the Lions in November and December. The Lions have the best record @4-1 in the division but won't mean a thing since they will have January off to relax. The Lions 2 wins since the bye week were within their division and they weren't able beat anyone outside the division since the one point win over the Cowboys on 10/27.

14. Darth Tater

I think Shwarzkopf is a hothead and had no business yelling at the fans. But Detroit fans need to realize that the negativity they spew is just exacerbating the futility. The players are human. They hear it. If they were losing 54-11 then so be it. Boo away. But the game was razor close. The booing was unwarranted,IMO. I know that I have no room to talk. 50 years of futility finally got to me and I gave up. But if people are sticking with them and going to the games they need to cut them some slack. I'm not blaming those fans for the loss but the booing just makes the losing a self fulfilling prophecy. It's almost as if the fans enjoy the martyrdom.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

At the end of reg, the fans thought going for it was the proper decision. They were booing the cautious call by the coach.

Fans can take an aggressive loss.

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep.....but with the Lions fans some aggressiveness would be second guessed especially if Stafford had thrown another pick six to end the game in regulation.

But if you think about it, two aggressive moves on the last series of downs by the opposition in the last two games did the Lions in.

Last week Harbaugh first opted to go for it, maybe for a second thought about a punt, and then went for the long kick and beat the Lions. Yesterday Coughlin thought about punting with 4th and 7, decided to go for it and got the first down into FG territory and won it. You can call it out coaching out playing or just luck. (bad luck for the Lions that is)

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If stafford throws another pick, then the fans boo Stafford and not the coach... Which very well may have happened.

The lions need to hire a boo interpreter if they bring back schwartz.

18. Darth Tater

The fans had/ have every RIGHT to boo. I'm just pointing out that if they PREFER to win they shouldn't turn the home field advantage topsy turvy. They aren't helping matters.

linwood likes this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Fans are going for long term improvement. Also, many are drunk.

brofmfa, coynejeremy and ggazoo69 like this.
  20. Darth Tater

I feel bad for the Lions team and their fans. I really do. It still bugs me when they lose.

But I don't feel sorry for the Fords. I don't like or respect them as people and I think they are about the worst owners in history.