Lions 2013---Detroit Lion

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TheeTFD, Jan 8, 2013.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Owner is not hands off. Mayhew and Lewand both said new coach must coddle Stafford ! Most coaches demand competition at all positions.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

What indication have the Fords ever given to show that they actually really care about the team? I'm not being facetious here. Seriously, I'm sitting here and I can only think of two very small things from many many years ago. Maybe 25-30.

1. Once Ford went into the locker room and gave a little win one for the hipper speech and I know the Lions responded by winning at least the next game ( and I think they even went on a small winning streak.

2. And I'm stretching it here... There was some commercial with Red Wings coach Jacques Demers( remember him?) and I think Sparky Anderson of the Tigers and they won some contest in the commercial and were handed Lions tickets as a prize and made funny sad disappointed faces. Well, anyhow the Fords took exception to it and the commercial was pulled.

That's it folks. Help me here. Watching the Eagles owner, he is involved and you hear from him quite a bit but he isn't overly involved like Jerry Jones of the Cowboys who is owner, general Manager, behind the scenes coach and back up field goal kicker of his team.

My point is that U never realized how involved an owner should be. I think Lions fans are so used to the dysfunctions that they don't even see them all. Sooner or later the odds will catch up to them and they will win a Super Bowl. But just one. That's what you can look forward to IMO. Is it worth it? Jump ship while you still can. Hopefully one day everyone will just band together and boycott.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

2014 is the year. I can feel it. Restore the Roar!
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You have a short memory TB.
    They fought to keep the SilverDome in Detroit. They lost it went to Pontiac. They bought out the last 5? years of the SilverDomes lease and built Ford Field. Now the Lions have almost as much revenue as Dallas to sign FA. For years they had no box seat money. They got with help to get a SB in Pontiac. They are aligned to get another one with Ford Field. Ford Senior still sticks his nose in major decisions, like who'll play QB.
  5. Darth Tater

What you're "feeling" is probably gas.

Bill, are you using your $2.35 " forum donor" clout to c-block my gold "6 X Fantasy Champion" logo/banner/ whatever. Come to think of it, I think I should have about a dozen of them. I better check my archives. I need to start paying attention to these things from now on.
  6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

None of those have anything to do with the football team. Those are all business decisions. The Fords are about as hands-off as it gets when it comes to football operations. They're well known for their long leashes before stepping in.

That's what Dungy is talking about. A coach doesn't want ownership constantly second guessing and adding their 2 cents in on football decisions. Most coaches couldn't care less where the stadium is located, how many box seats are sold or where the next Super Bowl is played.
    Darth Tater likes this.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yes for the most part they are hands off but Jr. and Fontes worked well together. When Senior let Millen over stay he stepped in and spoke against his dad. Probably the first time in his life. And without box revenue [at least back then] you couldn't over spend on FA. So you're talking about a stupid coach that would be willing to work handcuffed.
  8. Darth Tater

A noble effort, Jammer. But when Einstein formulated his definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results), he was referring to his attempts to explain something to one of TFD's ancestors. I've finally learned to make my point once but then walk away whistling cheerfully pretending the entire incident never happened.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Do you really want the ford guys dabbling in football?
  10. Darth Tater

My brain goes on overload thinking about the millions of galaxies and infinite possibilities within those... But Matt Millen. How did that happen even within this context? And why did it continue for so long.?

I think..therefore I am... unable to figure out the Lions.

Not my problem any longer.i don't know if I'm more surprised that the Eagles Thread has existed for so long or that there aren't 30 other threads just like it.

Lions fans are like those Catholic Penitentes who engage in Flaggelation.
    linwood likes this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Millen just needed another few years for his genius plan to come together.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dungy got crawled on the carpet because he dared to say SOL same ole Lions. Now he's blowing a little smoke at the Lions trying to even things out.
    Maybe if Dungy spent as much time with his children as he did with the Colts his son wouldn't have took the deep 6.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

we could be so deep in WR we could sell them for picks like QBs.
  14. Darth Tater

Wtf? That comment on his son is by far the most crass thing I've ever heard you say. It wasn't cute nor was it clever. Sheesh.
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You just earned 2 weeks away from the forum.

You've said a lot of inappropriate things over the years, but mocking his son's suicide death was one time too many.
  16. Darth Tater

I guess they're strongly considering Wisenhunt per that Detroiy News article but they're also indeed interested in Jay Gruden the Bengals offensive Coordinator. If you recall the Bengals took an early exit from the playoffs yesterday after scoring a whopping 10 points. Yeah, sounds like the Lions type of guy. :)
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Fontes' son is supposedly being considered.
  18. Darth Tater

Stafford reportedly sat in on an interview for the head coaching vacancy? Huh? I read that as, the head coach better pamper Stafford or stand in the unemployment line with Schwartzkopf! Isn't the head coach supposed to be deciding who the teams quarterback is and not the other way around? What kind of message does that send to the team??? Nobody better confront Stafford the Prima Donna of the Lions.

Is it just ME misinterpreting this strategy?

Look, to me, MAYBE if we are talking Aaron Rogers, Peyton Manning or Drew Bree's ( or Nick Foles... Just kidding) then MAYBE this would be acceptable, but Matt Stafford can't even get his team into the playoffs let alone have a Super Bowl under his belt. Mr. "No team meeting is necessary...I want things to continue as they are".
    I don't know, I haven't heard any complaints about this so I guess it's just me. Oh well, none of my business. I'm not a fan of these guys, but I still like to see them prosper.

They need a coach to take over that locker room while also earning the respect of the team, IMHO. Would Stafford even approve of a guy like that. He needs to mind his own business at least until he solves his own issues which apparently he can't do on his own... But everything is peachy keen, right? No reason to WASTE two entire hours airing things out even though it might have prevented the team from losing 6 of the last 7 games and starting their hard earned vacations ASAP.

And Schwartz benches Reggie Bush. Probably not because of fumbleitis but because he had the audacity to suggest a team meeting without Staffords approval.

That team is a talent gold mine but the window for success is only open so long. They have so many early first round choices it's ridiculous but now they are too good to go 2-14. Going 7-9 is just good enough to pick closer to the middle.

I hope girlfriend Darquez Denards sake the Lions pass on him.

Good luck guys...
    ]
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, that's bad having the qb in the interview.
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He can't even lead his team to a December victory let alone getting into January to play an actual playoff game....(except that 2011 team that lost the Saints in Jan 2012). Dating back to 1/1/2012, the Lions have lost 11 straight December and January games......( 9 Decembers and 2 January's including the playoff loss to the the Saints.

December and January are winning money time and those losses were mostly on Stafford's inept passing and Schwartz's inept leadership.

I don't he needs to be in the interview. Next we will hear that Stuckey gave the final approval on Mo after sitting in on his interview.