2014 Draft (...I'm pretty sure that they're still having one.)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BallDon'tLie, Jun 24, 2014.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I hear ya Winless, but remember he was the 38th pick......if he heals enough to play more minutes than Mitchell did last year (in non garbage time) then it is a win.

The Panda likes this.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think being cynical is a coping mechanism for some fans. I get it, and maybe I am a sucker but I am drinking the koolaid. Detroit has never been a club for front runners , we make all kinds of mistakes and somehow manage to survive our own incompetence. I remember in the early 80s we gave away pick after pick after pick.

kpaav and The Panda like this.
  3. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I want to drink the Kool aid, serve the Kool aid, heck make the Kool aid.... that is what being a fan is about, you have a chance till you don't... I remember talking with my cousins at a family picnic the year we drafted Darko and thinking about the young players we had ready to take over as our core aged... it was fun, did it happen.. NOPE, but it was fun to dream.... if I want to be depressed I'll turn on the evening news and see how the middle east is imploding.

Remember as we got one step closer to the Ring in the 80's how we started the next season with hopes on going farther the next year. We won't win the title this coming season I'm pretty sure (see not totally drunk on the Kool Aid) but we have some very cool things to look forward to in our budding young players... A winning coach now in control... and other things that have me excited. Just wish more folks would talk bout the hope then the gloom.

sorry for the rant, just been building for a couple years lol.... back to the games.....

P.S. glad to see you here day to day as a member even if your not running the show, the place would be greatly diminished without you here.

S.J., coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I agree. I know Ros didn't post sometimes as a fan because he was an admin but he had some of my favourite posts and ideas.

roscoe36 likes this.
  5. Slippy

I like how SVG said they liked the guy because he had an identifiable skill and wasn't some uber athlete the thought they could teach. Like tony Mitchell? The dude shows flashes all the time but the whole package? Man that guy looks lost.

One of the legacies of Dumars' tenure was a complete and utter lack of coaching consistency. Talent was acquired by the left hand and utilized by the right. And that right hand was largely prosthetic and exchanged for a different model every other year.

SVG can come at this holistically. He doesn't just get to pile sand in a room and tell someone else to build a castle. He has to figure out what he is going to construct and what he needs to acquire next.
    I really only had PG's on my wish list despite the desire for an athletic wing. I don't think Jennings is an SVG type player. neither is Bynum. Stuckey is being cut loose. So there. Your biggest need.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I have always liked your posts. Yea... I do complain about the team a lot,
    but like I posted earlier in this thread, I think we drafted an all-star here.
    I'm now preparing for a future with a stud PG as soon as he's ready to roll.

roscoe36 likes this.
  7. Slippy

at least we're not Toronto this time.

roscoe36 likes this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Dinwiddie isn't an explosive athlete.

The ACL is a freak tear. Those ligaments tend not to degrade over time, but will just snap on a bad movement. It is definitely possible to completely recover from an ACL tear given the right treatment and recovery nowadays.

Derrick Rose had an ACL tear he completely recovered from, and then a meniscus tear on the other leg which he opted to let heal rather than remove. He certainly won't be the same player, but he will be close enough when he returns.

coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  9. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

Do you think Peyton will get a fair shake under SVG? Love your avatar by the way.

roscoe36 likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

DOUBLE POST ALERT!!!!!

I'm drowning in the kool-aid here, but one of the reasons I like the SVG hire, isn't just that I like him as a coach, but that there can be continuity between the FO and the coaching staff.

I watched a few interviews of this kid, and he seems smart and collected, but also very competitive. I like him. I have no idea what he can do, but right now, I like him and will give him a chance.

I can't imagine Peyton being given another year. I don't know why you would allocate a roster spot to him...

roscoe36 likes this.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Who would you have taken instead at #38?

12. BillLaimbeer

You are paying less than a million dollars to a guy that just led his team to a national championship a year ago. That is called using your money wisely.

13. max

max All-Star

Kool Aid lol - The Kool aid is getting excited about pick #38 in the ist place.

I feel fairly confident in predicting that picks 39 and 40 will not exactly be heavy impact players this year.

14. BillLaimbeer

I don't think anyone said that Dinwiddie will even start this year, let alone be the Pistons' savior. Most people have simply said that it was a smart choice with good potential.

Getting excited isn't a bad thing, by the way.

15. detteam

detteam All-Star

I will never again dismiss your CO scouting team.

Case of Night Train Express is on the rails heading out to you and Rufus

BallDon'tLie and The Panda like this.
  16. max

max All-Star

I agree it was a good pick given the circumstances

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Vince Ellis had a bunch of tweets saying Dinwiddie was #1 for "draft eligible guards" in points per poss, points per P&R, points per spot up and true shooting %.

It does make you wonder though that if this kid is such a talent then how did he last so long? Embid got hurt last week and went 3rd.

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It stinks that SD can't play in the SL.

Save for 10 seconds after he was picked last night I have never seen this guy play, but I'm picturing Brian Shaw here.

Does this pick mean that the Pistons don't administer the wall test anymore?

19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

From what I can determine Bowser was a big proponent of the wall test at Marist. So one of two things probably happened....either SVG decided to get rid if the wall test...Or Dinwiddie was too good to pass up and the wall test was bypassed.

BillLaimbeer and roscoe36 like this.
  20. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Looking at the results of the draft, Dinwiddie at #38 seems more and more like the right pick to me. I'm not really impressed with anyone picked after really. Tavres may got impressive size, but it would be stupid to pick a center, when we already have two of the best young centers in the league. Glenn Robinson III would probably be my 2nd choice. Still, there's a lot easier to find athletic 6'7" forwards with a questionable jumpshot than it is to find a 6'6" PG who shoots 40% from deep in college.

LA Dre, Slippy, Nemo and 1 other person like this.