#27 Pick - Arron Afflalo

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jammertime, Jun 28, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I have seen him play for three years and his biggest strength is that he plays well within the system and is very good at coming off screens to hit his mid-range jumper. He is also an excellent foul shooter.

In thinking about it. Affalo's game is very similar to Rips.

What Affalo is not the best at is creating one on one, but he is a smart player who works well within a system (Flip loves these guys) and can be a definite scoring threat especially off of screens. His range is better than Rips is.

He had two terrible games in the final four the last two years against Florida. Brewer did a very good job on him both years. This year Affalo got in very early foul trouble on some very questionable calls. After that he was out of it.

Bottom line is that if you like Rip you will like Affalo. If you don't like Rip's game you probably won't like Affalo's.

:hoops:
  2. buddahfan

I am not sure if it matters that much whether who are at the 3 and 4. Bottom line is that I think we will see both JMax and AJ on the floor together.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm impressed with Afflalo's ability to shoot. The guy is a very good shooter.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I second that. Amir can certainly play small forward. In those last four games, we played Amir and JMAX together a lot as a pair of forwards. One of them was playing small forward for sure.
  5. max

max All-Star

Thanks for the update. I am lost on draft night because I rarely watch college games.

I know we do not need another undersized PF so I am find with selecting guards as long as they can play.

Supposed to be an extremely deep draft and we did get 2 guards that had very successfull college careers so we will see.
  6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    These are two solid picks. Low risk, just like Joe likes it. We'll se what else develops. I think Joe's hoping to sign G.Hill to backup Tay, but we'll have to wait and see.
  7. buddahfan

Good point. I forgot about that. I think using Grant off the bench would be a really good move.

8. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Didn't expect 2 guards in the first...........I thought Joe would go big with the 27th............Bye...Bye...Billups...
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This is what they said about Affalo on ESPN. 'Affalo is not going to go get his own shot.' 'Affalo struggles against real athletic defenders.'

Well it sounds like he is going to fit right in with Rip and CB. One more guy to get off a forced shot against the shot clock in the playoffs. One more guard who's more likely to fall down rather than hit a lay up. Horrible pick. So much for enthusiasm.

Let me get this straight, the bench hasn't played at all since 2004 and now 2 rookies are going to play? Darko is going to get minutes this year too.
  10. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Well, after reading everyone's thoughts here. It looks like it's the future vs. now thinking. I really don't expect any of these players to get much PT next year at all. JMax took 2 years to finally get some regular rotation on the bench.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

ESPN.com: SPORTSNATION - Chat-16283
  12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

If CB was staying, I thought the main course would be a slasher and a paint defender. Definite S/T coming up.

Stuckey is a good-solid pick. Great athlete at that position and that is the whole point at #15. Should get some decent playing time ala Carlos Delfino.

Afflalo is trade fodder. You have a huge back-log of players at 1-2 and leading toward a heavy 2.

Some big trades coming up for the pistons. The bench time has not increased and looks like only JMax is the sole survivor to start.

JD is true to form. His comfort level (and Flip's) is with more mature players (meaning at least 2-3 years in league). I am leaning toward seeing two starters gone.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It seems I made my last post in haste. I thought they drafted a slow un-athletic point guard. My fault, they drafted a slow un-athletic 2 guard. I feel stupid now.
  14. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS PICK. It would be ok if you didn't take 2 similar players in the SAME DRAFT.

Apparently we are fighting the Knicks for the "team with most combo guards" title
  15. mikhail1973

I wonder what does Joe have to say about the picks.
  16. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Check out the below link for Joe's press conference about his picks.
    Underneath the picture of the 2 picks on the left of the page, click on "Dumars press conference".

MLive.com: Everything Michigan
  17. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

ASB on MLIVE agrees.

I want to vomit, we could have had Krylo or Krylon or whatever his name is, or Splitter or pretty much anything else, or trade the effing thing.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I thought Brewer was supposed to be a gifted defender with a long wing-span. He could have been the best defender at his position in all of college bball last year. So, let's ignore those games for now and look at the rest of Afflalo's career.
  19. V!et

V!et First Round Draft Pick

You guys are all acting like it's the end of the world. Splitter would have never played for us and Byar's stock seemed to drop really far. From what i've heard, Afflalo is a great perimeter defender and is some what clutch with his jumpshot. Kind of reminds me of Rip.
  20. mikhail1973

I have to agree. Joe has drafted 3 solid college players and he seems to be a good judge of that - Maxiell and Prince. We were wondering then - why those two guys. I think that question was answered pretty clearly. I would trust Joe to make the proper selection.