#27 Pick - Arron Afflalo

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jammertime, Jun 28, 2007.

1. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This is exactly why I wanted AA at #27. The guy rains in shots. Yeah, he doesn't necesarily have the first step, but a shot he does. Oh yeah, hes a great perimeter defender, maybe the most glaring weakness on the squad. No more Boobie droppping 27 on us or ben gordon 30 something. If he turns out to be lindsey with a consistent jumper....well I like that in my late late first round pick..all things considered.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Isn't he taller and bigger than Lindsey? That should be a big plus.
  3. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

A guy like Afflalo isn't going to burn up the league right away. He has to be nurtured. This will allow him to make the leap to NBA quality player. The question is..........do rookies on the Pistons roster get nurtured ?????????
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So we might have two AA's on the team with Aff and Ack Attack.
  5. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Could get Alan Anderson on the cheap from Charlotte also. :)
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I saw more than a few UCLA games over the past year including the tourney games. AA was the heart and soul of those Bruin teams that made it both the finals in 2006 and this years final four team.

I know he was better than Jordan Farmar who opted to comeout last year. I think he will make the squad and get some PT more so than what Acker or Blalock did the past couple of seasons.
  7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre,

Right. And UCLA hung its hat on defense. He should be able to step in defensively and help guard a le Bron or a Wade. Those 29 points by James left Joe sick and he is not going to let that happen again per his interview.
  8. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

nope. he won't be able to do that. delfino plays lebron and wade tough but because he's relatively unknown to the league he gets no calls. afflalo would foul out within minutes. i do however like it that he plays defense at all. wade and lebron is a stretch right now.
  9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Both Afflalo and Prince are from Compton. They have played together during the summer for many years.
    :hoops:
  10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think Taysun has been impressed enough. (see my prior post).

:hoops:
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Afflalo will be better than Delfino. Just a hunch I have.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This should make you guys like the pick more:

PLEASE DRAFT ME: Aaron Afflalo and Jared Dudley
    Posted Jun 21st 2007 5:35PM by Nate Jones
    Filed under: Eastern, Western, NBA Draft

Some prospects aren't getting enough respect on draft boards. PLEASE DRAFT ME aims to change that.

The problem I have with the NBA draft is that too many teams try to hit home runs instead of taking players that can come in and help their team right away. Listen, not all of these kids are going to turn into 20 point per game scorers. However, having players that can come in and knock down an open shot and play excellent defense is probably just as important to building a winning team as having a 20 point scorer is.

I mean, look at Raja Bell, Shane Battier, and Bruce Bowen. All three of them have carved niches for themselves within the league as charge taking defensive stoppers. They've also all honed their offensive games so that they can be successful on that side of the floor without actually having the ball (in other words: all of them have become solid spot up shooters). They also all have been winners throughout their careers.

When I look at this year's list of draft prospects, there are two players in particular that I feel can come in and fill the Bell/Battier/Bowen role for a team. Those two players are none other than Aaron Afflalo and Jared Dudley.

Just like the current pros mentioned above, when I think of these guys, one word comes to mind: Professional.

Without possessing freak athletic ability Afflalo and Dudley were both players of the year in top conferences last season. That just tells me that these guys are both as heady as they come. As well, both are known as hardworking guys that are willing to do anything to help their team win.

With their shooting touch and their willingness to focus on the defensive side of the floor, teams like the Spurs and Suns (whose systems require heady, committed, role players) shouldn't hesitate to draft one of these two guys.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007...d-jared-dudley/

But UCLA's latest phenomenal clampdown started and ended with sophomore swingman Afflalo getting in Carney's grille and never letting go. Memphis' explosive senior leader, who very likely will be an NBA lottery pick in the coming months, scored just five points, and three came on a 3-pointer with less than a second left in the game.

Prior to that, Carney converted just 1 of 11 shots and could never shake his UCLA shadow, hard as he tried. Other than being shut out earlier this year in a game against Cincinnati in which he barely played, this was by far his worst outing in an otherwise standout season.

Afflalo said stopping Carney was UCLA's key to stopping Memphis as a whole. And that meant sacrificing a little offense to concentrate on the defensive end. It showed. Calipari predicted Friday the quick, high-flying Carney would win the NBA Slam-Dunk Contest next season, but he never got a sniff of a slam Saturday.

"I knew I couldn't relax for a second against him," Afflalo said. "I couldn't let him get open for a 3 or drive for a dunk, because I knew that would ignite their whole team."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/...26/ai_n16175087
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree, but he will need more PT in his first couple of seasons than Delfino did to see this come to fruition. Lets just hope that both Stuckey and AA make the "dressed" squad and Joe has an understanding that if these are CB and Rips backups, they get 10 minutes a game IN EVERY GAME!!
  14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I say at least 15 mpg.
  15. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Gotta start at 10mpg.......then let talent, heart, and the whim of Flip dictate the minutes............
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The third thing that dictates their minutes worries me.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Acright is ahead of the new guys. I bet he sees P/T before Stuck & Aff.
    Both of these guys see Dleague...it's the Piston way.
  18. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

In the end how come talent & heart always yield to Flips whim.
  19. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

hopefully he is better than delfino while he's still in a piston uniform.
  20. max

max All-Star

Delfino did not leave the bar very high with his production last season.