2nd Unit Defensive Rebounding

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Oct 12, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

With Dyess now on the first unit and AJ not available the 2nd unit is definitely below NBA rebounding standards.

There are only 3 Pistons that are NBA capable on the defensive boards, Sheed, Dyess and AJ. Everyone else is a washout on the defensive boards.

This was very evident last night as the Cavs killed us on the boards.

Without at least one strong defensive rebounder on the unit that JMax is playing on he is a liability. Right now he is playing the 4. He is totally out of position. He should be at the 3. The problem is is that his outside shooting is weak. So he is really not a strong 4 because his defensive rebounding is weak and not a strong 3 because his outside shooting is weak. For example, Prince and Hayes who play the 3 are our best 3 point shooters whereas JMax range is about 10 - 15 at the most. He also does not make his free throws, so going to the rack and getting fouled is not an advantage with him. His game is put backs. He is great at put backs.

I believe that once AJ starts to play if Flipper plays AJ with JMax that will help significantly because AJ can clean the defensive boards. Until then the second unit as now constituted is a defensive rebounding liability.

Replacing Nazr with Varejo would be a big step in making the second unit a strong defensive rebounding unit, though I doubt very much that we will obtain him.

:hoops:
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I hope AJ can board, but I don't think he's proven it yet. It's too bad that we are not getting a good look at him in these games. He needs to be tested against NBA starters who use position when rebounding to see if he is strong enough to be an effective rebounder.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I agree.

I am only going off of the handful of games that I have seen him play plus his stats.

He has been a top rebounder at every level (high school and the D league) that he has played and also did well rebounding last year with the Pistons in his limited appearances.

He is now at least 6'11".

Rebounding is mostly about position, timing, instinct and desire. Generally if you are a top of the line rebounder at one level it carries over to the next higher level.

We will just have be patient and wait a little while longer.

:hoops:
  4. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

We had to wait last year til this year. Now we have to wait some more. I can't take it...:boom:
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    What's worrysome is Flip said that he's not bringing AJ in until he gets two weeks of practice in. So, how much playing time can we expect AJ to get once he is healthy?
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I know that he has the ability. I'm just going to reserve judgment on the position, and desire parts of it. A player his age needs a coach who will stress the importance of rebounding and hold him accountable for that aspect of his performance.
  7. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

Mohammed was 3rd on the team in defensive rebounding per minutes played, behind McDyess and Sheed.

In fact, defensive rebouding is one of the few things Nazr does well.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He gets offensive rebounds pretty well too, doesn't he? I don't have the stats in front of me, but it seems like that is a strength of his. Probably because he stays near the bucket.
  9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It is a fact that JMax struggles with defensive rebounds. It is also a fact that we haven't seen AJ playing against the NBA players to have any assumptions on how good of a rebounder he will be. He has everything he may need for it - height, quickness, and hops. How will it translate into the rebounding numbers - we'll have to wait and see. At this juncture we can't count on any Pistons regularly pulling double-digit rebounds. I keep hoping that Tay's rebounding numbers will rise, but at this point I'll reserve my expectations until I actually see it happening. Tay will get you 5-6 boards. Rip will get 3-4. Chauncey will probably be in that range as well. Sheed is 6-8 and Dyess should be in that range as well. They are going to give up offensive boards and it will hurt them against teams like Cavs who shoot low percentage and crash the boards.
  10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

keep in mind we were playing a lineup of maxiell, dupree, and hayes in our frontcourt for much of the 2nd half and overtime ... no one over 6'8" ... makes it harder to grab boards.