5 Ways To Fix The NBA For Next Season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by indiefan23, May 5, 2009.

1. indiefan23

indiefan23 First Round Draft Pick

What up pistons nation... if anyone cares to check out my latest blog post on the NBA here it is.

The NBA's talent level finally seems to be back on track but what can the league do to improve? Read on for 5 major problems that can be easily fixed to dramatically improve the NBA by next season.

5. Bench Rule/Suspensions
    4. Call Flops... NOW! Make Them Competitive
    3. Change The Salary Cap, Add Profit Sharing
    2. Follow The D-Lead
    1. Add A Few Ref Challenges

You can read the deets here:

http://www.fullcourtpest.com/2009/04...xt-season.html

Comments anyone? I have no idea why these have not been implemented for years or even decades already.

Cheers

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The easiest way to fix it is through the refs.

3. indiefan23

You mean by improving them? Yea that would go a long way. I only add two points.

1. even good refs blow calls that disproportionally affect outcomes based on circumstances

2. Much as the refs suck, it is a crazy hard game to call. That block/charge call is one of the hardest in sports. Replay and challenges don't fix the whole problem but raise the competency of even the worse ref to get it right and make what the players do count more then the mistakes officials make.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It kills me how much better NBC's broadcasts were than the wince-fest that ABC puts out there. Bill Walton sounds like a genius.

5. indiefan23

Seriosuly, from the kick ass nba on nbc intro music that just pumped you up to the lack of Craig Sager and his brutal suits.

Just check last year's finals intro and see how much better it is...

YouTube - NBA on ABC Finals Intro With Roundball Rock

Compare it to the crappy voice over

YouTube - ESPN/ABC NBA Finals Intro Video

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sad but true.

7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I thought that the NBA WAS fixed.

8. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

I think flopping should be a category for All Star weekend.
    I also think horse shoes should be an Olympic category.

9. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

Agreed 100%. The two most glaring problems I see with the officiating:

1. Superstar calls

2. Calls aren't consistent depending on the situation. How many times, on the last play of a tight game, have you heard the announcer say something like "you're not going to get that call at the end of the game." Why not? Could you get it in the 2nd quarter?

I think these two things make it so that officiating is completely inconsistent from player-to-player, game-to-game, or even quarter-to-quarter. If this is the case, why even have a rule-book if you're going to basically make it up as you go along.

I'm waiting for them to go the WWE route and have bench coaches distracting the refs during the game while the players are out on the court fouling merciliessly behind their backs or something.

To fix it, go with Phil Jackson's idea and make officials accountable to a source outside the NBA, and make the accountability transparent.

They played the old NBA on NBC music during the coverage of team USA basketball for the summer olympics. It brought back such fond memories.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, people get thrown off when people say that the refs could call a foul on every play so they have to pick & choose what to call.

The refs leeway should come into play when they decide that they're not going to call a travel unless you take 6 steps or they will allow you to hand check if you only use one hand. That is a fair game.

They don't do this though. They randomly rule on the same play. That's why the FIBA refs in the Olympics were way better than these NBA clowns. Yeah, they had some funny interpretations of the rules, but they were consistent across the board in how they applied them.

11. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Keyword is CONSISTENCY. Allowing the crab hop or the hand check is fine as long as you allow ALL players regardless of the name on the front/back of their jersey or their years of service be the deciding factor. What I can't stand is how a foul on one person is not a foul on another. Call it the same for everyone and the game becomes better immediately.

12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Right on Blue. #2 pisses me off more than #1 sometimes. I cannot understand why players are forgiven for illegal plays when such plays can affect the outcome of the game. That's just insane.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't like the false positives.

If a ref calls a foul and the replay shows that it didn't happen, that means that the ref guessed based on the situation or the reaction of the other player. I would much rather see 5 fouls happen and not get a whistle than see 1 innocent defender falsely accused.

Just call what you see.

14. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

This exact situation came up during the Dallas vs. Denver game tonight. The refs called a ton of fouls all game long, and on the last play Dallas tried to foul Melo because they had a foul to give. No call, and Melo hits a 3 to take the lead and win the game.

The no-call was the difference between a win and a loss for Dallas, and Mavs fans have a right to be upset about that one. They weren't letting that foul go the whole game except for the last play.

15. indiefan23

Agreed totally. The dirty dark secret all MJ fans don't like to admit is that we know he got preferential treatment from the refs. I'm not sure how intentional it was when it started. I mean, guys like MJ's personalities worked otehr players and the refs... but sometimes it just gets out of hand. You see stars angry not becasue they did/did not commit the foul but because they didn't get the call which they feel entitled to. Thats when I get annoyed.

16. indiefan23

U know, I think at least a part of it is just human. Refs don't want to be hated any less then you or me. Making a bad call at the end of a game has got to be their biggest fear. Then its Joey Crawford who ruined that game and its going to go down in infamy. I think they get tentative at the end of games. Whereas if you don't make a call maybe you didn't see it. Theres got to be a lot of pressure on the refs. Not that I condone it but I think that trepidation has a part to play in the acceptance that calls are just not going to be made at the end of games.

17. indiefan23

You know another factor I have to say to all this. I think its ESPN. I'm not sure why but every time the reffing issues come up guys like Mark Stein start to wax poetic about how its the hardest game to call in the world, the NBA's 100% opaque rating system says they get 99.9999% (or some such number) of calls right, all dissenting towards the league are just conspiracy theories and then when Donnehey happened they just parroted David Stern's 'one bad apple' line over and over. I remember watching Jeff Van Gundy who got screwed by Donnahey in a series actually say we should not give this guy credit when Donnahey actually said the gave JVG was screwed over in, and had previously stated was a fix, was fixed.

Like, does the league just pay off the media? Something is up. Cuz I watch college, international ball and you know what, I don't see anywhere near the same level of incompetence. Few blown calls, few non-calls and games under much more control with players who know whats going to happen when they behave a particular way.

Is this what everyone else sees or am do I really just love/hate the NBA this much???