6 Season with 50 wins or more

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

The other guy who has been here all six years and deserves credit?

Bill Davidson
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It definitely means that my wife picked the right time to take the job at UMich, moving us to Ann Arbor and turning me into a Pistons fan.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah. And Teflon Tom.
  4. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Oh you made me eyes wet . . .
    In Joe We Trust, everyway priod.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Ahb needs to stop and smell the roses.
    What was 2001 like. Just for fun.
    Ben and Jerry !
  6. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Dosen't this bring back college memories.

In these six years the organization has also spawned an equally sucessful WNBA franchise with similar hometown leadership.
  7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wonder if Bill D's reluctance to part with the green has actually made Joe a better GM. Think about it. It may have forced Joe into looking harder for those diamonds in the rough, those guys with the chip on their shoulders, the guys who were passed over and allowed him to focus more on the skills of the players, not just the rep and price tag.

Imagine if Bill gave Joe an open cheque book. Would we look something more like the Knicks with someone like Francis running our team?

I'm not a big fan of Bill D, but it was an interesting thought that occurred to me whilst reading this thread.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Ah, if we looked like the Knicks JD would've lasted maybe 3 years.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I'll give Joe the credit. He epitomizes the diamond in the rough..........
    I think Joe can spot these special kind of players...........
  10. keepinitreal

keepinitreal Second Round Draft Pick

I like the comment Billup made recently, about the Pistons "are exactically where they want to be". We look at that as, maybe, foolishness, because thier record is not as it was last year. Last year they burned themselve out for homecourt thoughout and look what that got them. NOTHING!!!!!! They were finished after the Cleveland series. Ripe for the picking by Miami. The Heat record was repectable last season. They fought through injuries and controversy, and with favor from the NBA, they won the title, but that another issues, all together. What I saying is, its not mandatory to have a MONSTER regular season record to take it all. The Pistons didn't in '04. I think they won 56 games in '05 and got to the Finals. But, now we look at thier record today and we question thier determination with our desires of what we want them to be. Look it up, 5 out of the last 6 teams with the best regular season records DID NOT WIN THE TITLE. A couple of them didn't make it to the Finals. I believe the Pistons learn something from last year, and it has forged their resolve in a way that has nothing to do with the "bandwagon fan". If we as fans don't want to believe, fine. The Pistons have basically the same for years and always have been plagued with that "flip the switch" mentality. But, there no team in the league with more resolve as the Pistons, and you can't measure that with a "MONSTER" record. In closing, I am glad for thier "WEAK EAST CONFERENCE TITLE". I am glad they didn't have to kill themselves getting it. They won just enough to get it, and when they forsaw a threat coming, they did what was necessary to fight it back. Everyone, including our local media, thouight they were in trouble back in March. But, they got thought it pretty good. I feel that they are going to give us a good ride come playoff. They look at any tough team as a challenge. Whoever comes out of the West, do not want to see the Pistons. NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah Jerry West use to have that talent too, and delivered multiple rings before leaving for what he thought was greener pastures in Tennesse.

Lets hope Joe can deliver a couple of more before he gets offered something better or Mr. D decides to relieve him of his duties (which I don't think we have anything to worry about)
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The biggest concern regarding JD going forward is his own passion and desire to keep doing the job. He's a Detroiter for life, I don't see that changing unless something unforseen happens. And Mr. D will keep Joe for as long as he wants the job because Joe does things his way, he's been successful, and he is an enormous asset with 7+ seasons of front office self-taught success.

You can find up and coming assistant GMs and bean counters with a passion for sports, but Joe has experience on his side now, and a resume that includes building, maintaining and fostering a highly competitive franchise atmosphere.

And I'm not even that a big a fan of all his moves, but it is certainly hard to argue with the results.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

A lot of coaches come to Detroit and never leave or can't or won't work anywhere else. Fontes and others.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wayne Fontes actually filed a lawsuit against the Lions claiming that injuries incurred while working as head coach prevented him from working thereafter. I believe he said that he tripped on some cables on the sideline and hurt his back. The case was thrown out of court.

Can you imagine a real "tough guy" NFL coach bringing that weak sauce?
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

He didn't he complain about it til about 5 years after he was fired.
    LOL !
    I remember him wearing the open boot though.
  16. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

6 straight 50 win seasons. Were there many of us during the Teal years that thought this would evere happen?

And one of the guys we had during the Teal years was on the floor just the other night. What a turn-around.

Congrats, guys :cheerleader: :cheerleader: !!!
  17. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

JOE D FOR PRESIDENT!!!
  18. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

With 6 seasons of 50 or more wins means that we have misssed the mark a couple of times on winning the gold.

I like all the accolades of being a 50+ win team 6 times, however, it would have been a heck of a lot better if we were able to win the championship at least 3 times out of the 6.

We also won these 50+ games with 4 different coaches, I think this was accomplished because of the players and the cohesiveness/consistency that they established over the years.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I guess it's hard to complain with this level of success. I wonder though if we went in the direction of Melo and Okur, instead of ...................
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Think of it this way.

There are only 3 teams in NBA history with more titles than the Pistons.

Celtics, Lakers, Bulls.

So, it ain't easy towing those ships in.