70 Wins This Year? Its Possible

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Dec 14, 2005.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

They are currently on a pace for 69. 70 wins would be a monumental achievement especially if they went on to win the NBA title.

They could only win 70 if non of the starters is out for more than a few games and no two starters at a time out of action.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

They can only win 70 if Flip flat out sits his starters occasionally. Otherwise, as the season wears on, we will lose games just for the starters being dead legged. Actually, if Flip can't control his urge to play his starters so much, an injury or two to get these starters off their feet would do nothing but help. It would help get our bench ready for the playoffs too.

3. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Greedy

I want to be 79-3.

Hehe, but that would mean playing starters a whole lot.

I'm not willing to take that risk.

SO I'd be content with making the 8th seed in the east, developing our young guys JMax ,Darko, Delfino, Acker, Johnson, but we should win the CHAMPIONSHIP AGAIN.

GO DETROIT! :eyebrows:

4. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

More than 15 losses is unacceptable for this team, IMO. I was hoping they would make a run at the Bulls' record, but that's obviously not going to happen with the bench unable to step up. Maybe next year.

They need to keep winning now though. Everyone loses more at the end of the season, especially a team that knows they are going to the finals and rests its starters. No more than 3 losses a month. I don't expect this team to ever lose 2 in a row either.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'll be happy with the first seed overall. Win/loss records are no consolation if players are burnt out or don't progress deep into the playoffs.

This team has an "eye of the tiger" problem. Every 6 or so games, they lose focus. I'm not sure that peaking this early is wise. In 2004, we roared into the playoffs. I hope there is enough gas in the tank to do the same this year.

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agreed.

I see a mid season slump followed by a strong finish and a 1st overall seed in our future.

I don't see 70 wins though.

7. max

max All-Star

No

You have to play the early season games anyway - may as well try to win them. Starters would be playing the same mins either way. I think losing takes more out of you than winning.

70? No. Not going to happen.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

That's an awfully tall order. Possible, but improbable. I don't think they are that good.

They have won several close ones and only lost one that was close. I think 65 would be great, but that's probably a bit high too.

Whatever it takes to get another ship works for me.

9. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

70 would be great, but I would really like to see us take it all, leading wire 2 wire, then sweep the playoffs.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

How many wins does it take?

The number of wins for the last 5 World Champions:

05: Spurs - 59 wins
    04: Pistons - 54 wins
    03: Spurs - 60 wins
    02: Lakers - 58 wins
    01: Lakers - 56 wins

The Pistons are off to a great start, but there is no way they will maintain this pace all year. They will go through some slumps. I think 60 wins would be a great season.

In order to win another championship, Flip will need to experiment with the rotations and keep the players rested. Perhaps that will cost a couple of wins. If the team is better prepared for the playoffs, it certainly is worth it.

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Exactly. 54 was great in 2004 but not quite enough in 2005. It's all relative to where it takes us and how we finish.:rapture:

12. Z-man

Z-man Second Round Draft Pick

I would gladly trade 10 wins (reduction from 70- to 60) to shave 5-7 minutes a game off of the fab five.

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm not sure why the starters legs would be any more tired than any other teams legs this year... They are on the low scale for starter minutes this year so far.
    Rip & Tayshaun are #45 & 46 in minutes per game.

14. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

I just hope that for once, we are the favorites come playoff time.:)

but about 60-65 wins would make us that for sure, which is very possible for this team.

15. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have no problem with being the underdog. This team plays better with a chip on their shoulders.

Even if we win the East, the "experts" will still be talking about SA out of the West. And if we finish with the best overall record, they'll say that we play in a weaker conference.

16. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Right now we are on pace to win 71 games. What's insane is I feel it is going to only get easier for two reasons. #1 we have played 14 away games and only 8 home games. #2 even though our bench has been poor, I do feel they will be getting better as the year progresses. Defino and Evans are starting to come along.

I still wouldn't be shocked if Dumars goes for the jugular and trades Darko for someone that could be great off the bench. I think Davis still has something in the tank but right now Flip feels he doesn't need his fuel at the moment.

I don't see us having much of a slump this year. I think our boys really want to have home court over the Spurs and that will be driving them. I'll be surprised at anything less than 67 wins. Of course, I think I predicted the Lion's to be 10 -6 this year so sometimes my heart overrules my head. :) I do think that 67 is very realistic though. These Pistons cannot be compared with the Lions. Ben's not going to let them get complacent.

17. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

At some point in time we are going to have to go to the bench a lot. Call it charity games or what ever. There is a dire need to develop the bench. We don't have proven players, but we do have players that would start on other teams.

18. UxKa

UxKa Second Round Draft Pick

Pistons Home Page Poll: Wins

Ok so on the Pistons home page they changed the poll from which bench player has been most impressive to... how many games will the Pistons win? Personally I chose 65-69 just to be reasonable but anyone who said 70-74 is cool in my book. I would like over 70 but thats a tall order as history tells us. My question is: What 27% of 4000 people picked 75+? I mean really, that means 54-4 if not better!! I'm not complaining or calling anybody stupid.. but is this just a dream or is there a way to justify 54-4?

19. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

March 18, 2005

That's the first date, during the 2004-2005 season, that the Pistons were 18 games over .500 (41-23)...

I just thought that was cool

(January 14 is when they won their 21st game last year)

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i say we'll finish with 66 wins. the pistons have ha more road games, and for us to reach 66 wins we'd have to go 35-13, that seems possible for thois team actually it seems the pistons should do better.