70 Wins This Year? Its Possible

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Dec 14, 2005.

1. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i really don't know (and actually don't care too much) whether the Pistons will win 70.

but i have to vent my frustration at announcers (like Steve Kerr last night, but not only him) who discount the Pistons' chances of winning 72 by using the following pseudo-logic: the Pistons are 24-3. The bulls were 24-3. The Bulls then went on to win 18 straight. To match the resulting 41-3 record, the Pistons will have to win through the middle of February (a 27 game winning streak). Ergo, the Pistons are very unlikely to match the Bulls final reg season record of 72-10.

What this overlooks is that the Bulls *finished* 31-7. The point is that the Pistons don't have to match the 72-10 Bulls' record game for game all season long... they just have to wind up getting 72 wins somewhere along the line. Right now, in terms purely of won loss records (and without regard to difficulty of remaining schedule, etc.), the Pistons are on pace to win 72.88 games. <-- period

as i said, i really don't care much whether they do or not and there's lots of room for divergent opinion on the matter. but the *stupidity* of that pseudo-logic (coupled with the smug conviction with which it is expressed) really drives me crazy...

i don't need people to agree with me...i just want them to be smart
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Charles Barkley was pissing me off during the post game show. He was saying there was no way the Pistons would win 70 games and that there was no way Billups should even be considered an MVP candidate. And just like you said Scolas, its the smug way the opinion is expressed - as if it were fact- that pisses me off the most.

Of course Reggie Miller was on the panel as well, and he was giving the Pistons - and CB and Rip especially- props.

Barkley should stick to what he does best - eating.