A boy can wish....

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

...why do that when you can fail up in the NBA...

Crap. :tsk:

Source: Pistons: Notebook - 12/01/06 - The Detroit News Online

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Low, as much as it pains you, you're gonna have to live with Flip S. all season long.

3. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

i wouldnt count those chickens just yet.

4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I find it very interesting how Stoney and Wojo can separate media and school enthusiasts rumours from Flip's actual interest, but had never heard of that concept two seasons ago...

5. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Right!

With LB the Piston brass wanted us to think LB quit. HE WAS FIRED.

Evidently, Flip ain't getting fired.

6. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I've gotta think Joe isn't gonna trust Flip with another contending team unless he knows something we don't about how Flip's gonna change his playoff approach. If he can pull a trade that makes us a REAL contender, we see Porter or Cowens, IMO. the speed at which this gophers vacancy is filled could be an indication.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think that the people who want to still ride Flip out of town are either

1) out of touch with the goings on with the Pistons

2) suffering from mild concussions

My issues with Flip weren't as juvenile and petty as playing Evans over Delfino, or his bizarre twitches. Evans flat outplayed Delfino most of last year, and that is why he got the minutes. Twitches? Sorry, can't help you there.

My issues with Flip were his lack of gamesmanship and the helpless way he stalked the sidelines. I have a thing called instinct (which many of the Flip bashers seem to lack) and I can sense another tiger in the jungle.

Flip has been super aggressive, his offense does in fact work a heck of a lot better without Ben, and the zone they are introducing is really taking advantage of the generally low level of bball IQ in the NBA.

I'm really happy with how Flip has coached thus far. He's done a masterful job. He'll never be LB, but then there are only 3 or 4 coaches in and around the league with that kind of ability. It doesn't freaking grow on trees.

And if you're still holding out for LB coming back, you better sign up for a Bobcats forum or something. The Pistons right or wrong, will never take Larry Brown back, not even if he was dead. I loved the man, but that's reality. If you can't deal with it, perhaps its time to check yourself into a care facility because it is blatantly obvious that you won't be able to function effectively in society.

I mean c'mon people, at least come up with something intelligent or original. It's like a broken record of complaining whether we win or lose. Whether we defend or not. Whether we function like an offensive juggernaut, uhm, or not.

Give Flip a freakin' break. He's one of the 10 best coaches in the game. And he's coaching this team excellently right now. From Tay to Sheed, Davis to Delfino, Flip has us headed in the right direction.

8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

IMHO there is nothing wrong with Flip's playoff approach. After Flip joined the Pistons organization I posted on this site Flip's playoff record with the T-Wolves including a analysis of it. Just as a reminder. When you look at his playoff record with the T-Wolves you will see that in about half of those years the T-Wolves with the inferior seed were eliminated by a team that went on to the NBA Finals.

The only time that the T-Wolves had the homecourt advantage in the the Western finals was the year that Cassell tired to play on 1 leg against the Lakers and Flip still took them to 7.

Last year the Pistons lost to the eventually NBA champions, the Heat. There is no shame is coming out second best. In spite of their record during the year it was obvious after starting 37 - 5 and finishing 27 - 13 that they had no bench giving the starters a rest.

I will admit that Flip should have found a way to work DM and CA into the scheme of things, but I believe that DM never would have gotten serious minutes as long as Ben was here. Ben wouldn't allow it. And certainly the thinking among everyone was you would never play DM ahead of Dyess. So where was DM to get his minutes from?

DM's attitude toward the Piston organization was destroyed by Brown as was Memo's. Brown constantly publicly berated these guys like they were just pieces of meat.

I think the problem with CA as a Piston is that the organization never liked his defensive game as well as parts of his offense. I think that Flip fell victim to Brown's assessment of Arroyo. Clearly a new coach coming in will read the reports of the departing coach. And there is no doubt that Brown never liiked CA's game. Brown loved Hunter.

So where does that leave us now?

Flip will take the Pistons to the finals this year, if there is no major injury. Will they win in the finals? I think that they have as good as chance as any.

Some guys are not liked because people take things on face value. Flip's failure to take the T-Wolves to a NBA finals is taken on face value by most people as a criticism of Flip, without them taking the time to analyse the situation.

Even Zeke is doing a better job coaching the Knicks than Brown did. Not that Zeke is that bad of a coach but certainly he doesn't have the HOF coaching status that Brown does!!

:stirthepot:

9. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

first rate post roscoe!

10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Top 10 coach, Flip aint.

How many NBA coaches with a lineup of Rip, CB, Tay, and Wallace couldn't do as well as him?

The problem with Flip isn't his coaching philosophy, it's his player killing and win now-with no foresight attitude. Orlando has the best record in the east, and is developing Darko. They are only going to get better. Once again, we will peak at the all-star break, while other teams will peak during the playoffs.

Flip can coach O, but until he can coach players and manage an entire season, he will never be a complete coach.

BTW, imagine what Isaiah would be doing with this team. You think Jmax, Blaylock, and Amir would be rotting the pine? He's already got Balkman outplaying JMax. You think Murray would still be getting burn after doing zip? Keep Isaiah away from making personell decisions, and we'd be celebrating another 'ship this year.

11. roscoe36

Rank the NBA Coaches.

12. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

It's great to see Flip get some credit for his good coaching. And can we please stop blaming Flip for Ben's failure to resign? It's obvious that Ben wouldn't give up any minutes, which I feel contributed to the failure to develop the bench. DD and DM never got to play because Ben wanted to be on the floor all the time. And I think LB's style of coaching (abusive) is no longer going to be accepted by most teams. The Pistons dealt with it for two years and learned a lot, but the Knicks did not perform well with the verbal abuse. Perhaps LB has gotten too nasty in his last few years. It will be interesting to see if the drama queen gets another coaching job! He seems to be a real success at making himself rich! How can a greedhead like him teach teamwork when all he cares about is himself? He insists on being the center of attention even when it is detrimental to his team.

13. roscoe36

Way to think positive Easybuckets!

14. max

max All-Star

It was an interesting bit of news to start this thread. Also interesting how someone wrote an article actually wondering if Flip would take a massive paycut to downgrade and coach his home team.

I want Flip to succeed because if Flip succeeds the Pistons suceed. If Flip fails and gets fired then the Pistons would not be doing so well.

Don't even want to go in the LB discussion. If you have missed what went on then you either were not paying attention or do not want to hear the truth.

How much do we put into the coach? Is Flip singlehanded going out there and winning/losing games for us? With a veteran team I have to wonder how much difference it really makes. I like the offense now and I like the way they get stops when we need them.

15. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

My top 10:
    1. Phil J-I hate 'em, but how can he not be #1
    2. Mike D'Antoni-Flip's idol
    3. Avery Johnson-Everything you want in a coach
    4. Gregg Popovich-Doesn't mess up a good thing
    5. Jerry Sloan-Old school hard---
    6. Georg Karl-Still bringin it, and look what he's doing for Carmello
    7. Eric Musselman-Will only get better with experience
    8. Pat Riley-If only he could get rid of Fatoine (no wonder the East sucks, top 7 coaches all from the West)
    9. Isaih-Yeah, Isaiah, gd awful GM, but he can coach
    10. Brian Hill-Used to think that he sucked, but he's really growing as a coach (having D Ho can do that)

Also, Flip is not horrible as a coach, but this team has the potential to be so much better, and Flip's refusal to risk a few early games in order to improve players like JMax, Darko, Delfino, Amir, and Blaylock could be a slow moving disaster in the making.

Forget CB and Sheed, a core of just Rip and Tay is enough to compete for championships for the next 5 years. And when you add CB and Sheed, and then throw in the youth, this team can and should be dominant over the next 5 years.

16. roscoe36

You put Eric Musselman above Pat Riley, the current Championship team coach and a HOFer.

17. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Only because Riley insists on playing Fatoine.

18. roscoe36

Has Musselman ever done anything in this league?

19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

i say flip is top 10. low on that list but in there.

20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i wasn't down on flip last year and still think we woulda won the championship if sheed didn't hurt his ankle so badly. we were CRUISING through the playoffs until that happened.

i'm willing to give him a pass until i see how the pistons do in the playoffs with a *healthy* lineup. do you guys not remember being down 3-2 to indiana in the championship year, losing a triple-overtime game in which larry brown kept memo on the bench? do you not remember being down 3-2 to the heat last year, and putting tayshaun (instead of dice) on duncan in the 4th quarter of game 7? it's not like larry was perfect or that we had a cakewalk through those playoff runs...