A boy can wish....

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Dec 1, 2006.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

I would like to add:

5. Alonzo Mourning.

Often overlooked, having a healthy, motivated Mourning meant that the talent level didn't drop exponentially when Shaq caught his breath.

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nonsense. If you can't win in the regular season you can't win in the playoffs. Drive and determination aren't turned on, they are learned night in and night out. Champions don't win in the regular season to get home court, or to make statements, or any of a dozen other foolish reasons - they win in the regular season because they can't play any other way.

Two champions since the league was founded finished lower than second in their division. If you equalize season length, the average championship team in the history of the league won 58 regular season games.

3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Interesting, I didn't know those two stats. I figured the '95 Rockets must be one of those champs, and indeed they finished 3rd in the Midwest, behind the Spurs and the Jazz (both of whom they beat in the playoffs). I also knew that the '69 Celtics had a not-so-great regular season record, and looking it up, they finished 4th in the Eastern Division (the split of each conference into divisions didn't happen until '71). Are those the two teams you were referring to, dba?

4. dba

DING, DING, DING!!!

You are a winner.

'94/'95 Rockets finished third
    '68/'69 Celtics finished fourth

5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Indeed you are correct. I still side with the Malcontent.

6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

There were no divisions in the NBA in 68-69, only conferences.

databaseBasketball.com - NBA Basketball Statistics, Draft, Awards, and History

So are you talking conferences or divisions? I find it hard to believe that there have only been 2 teams ever that have won the NBA title that finished with the 3rd best record or worse in their conference.

Houston in fact finished 6th in the Western Conf that year not 3rd.

databaseBasketball.com - NBA Basketball Statistics, Draft, Awards, and History

Of course if what you say is true that only two teams have finished third or lower in their conference and won the NBA title that further explains why Flip never won a title at MN, because they only finished better than #3 in their conference in 03-04 when they had the best record in the West but Cassell played on only one leg, when he played, against the Lakers in the Western Conference finals that year.

7. dba

It was rank in the structure that existed at the time. So in the early days it was a conference (e.g., east and west) rank. In recent times it was rank within division (e.g., Southwest). I wanted overall rank (of all teams), but that involved looking up each seasons final standard, which is available, but took more time than I had.

I thought this was more or less o.k. since modern divisions have more or less the same numbers of teams was old conferences.

8. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

It depends on how they win it, though. Flip's supporters like to give him credit for making it to the ECF, but it was clear that last year's meagre playoff achievements came in spite of Flip, not because of him. The anti-Flip crowd does a lot better supporting that contention than the anti-LB crowd does denying LB credit when he was here. But both sides are going to belive what they want regardless of quality evidence pointing in either direction.

I can't speak to the tactics, but it's clear that the players are playing for Flip. 3-5 would have been an opportunity for the players that want him gone to start agitating, and as far as we know that hasn't happened. So at least there's a universal desire to make it work. If it lasts, that is indeed a big difference and it is to Flip's credit. But that won't be tested until the playoffs. Nothing matters but the playoffs.

9. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

"If you can't win in the regular season you can't win in the playoffs."

I missed that, sorry. True, but how is that relevant here? Also true: wins in the regular season do not extrapolate into wins in the playoffs. There is absolutely no excuse for any Pistons fan to have missed that lesson. Therefore there is no reason to be excited about zoning up against Boston, or that Wade had a crappy shooting night. We've blanked him before in the regular season and in the playoffs. We'll see in the spring.