1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

a few more days of no small ball anyways....

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by round, Dec 31, 2008.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I bet his groin is ready for the Nugg game on the 9th.

3. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Few more days?:help2:

Uh small ball is not going down in the starting line-up from here on out. Joe D., MC, and Rip all see the writing on the wall . . . small ball is done.

We are playing some great defense with this line-up and I can't wait to see how much better we are with Rip lighting up the second unit off the bench. Sorry, but that is the way its got to be.

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

A tear? This sucks.

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons were playing small ball (AI,Stuckey,Afflalo) quite a bit today. I don't think it is done.

6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Quite right and it won't be done. The small ball is now the dynamics which will set the direction on what direction this club now wants to be potentially in the future.

Short of a Wade, LB or a Kobe. What happens when an injury occurs to one of them? The key for future and perceptive GM's is to fit the parts of specialization. One of the keys is that leadership must give the group an overarching pattern or style that everyone buys into. Along with this, you must make this a dominate goal and the value structure you build around it.

It is usually marked by classic emotional group progression (from Herbert A. Thelen):

First, fight-flight: which represents the desire of the group to escape the task that faces the group, either by fighting it (or one another) or by running away from the task.

Second, pairing: the desire of the group to seek security by establishing pair relationships between members of the group.

Third, dependency: represents the group's need to remain dependent on the leader, to retain him as protector, judge and commander.

Fourth, work: the desire of the group to engage in problem-solving activity. The work needs are frequently in conflict with the other needs of the group, and every member is caught in this struggle.

Calm down Bill, I have not sent you to the dictionary.

Here is my take now: Small ball is about the added dimension of powerful additions. It is all about opening up small cracks and seeing what develops.

Amir is now in the starting lineup. There is no way you can now keep him out. The foul situation will work itself out. The pattern has pick up another link. Let us see what happens.

7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

that was a rather enjoyable post

8. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

I think you will still see plenty of 3 guard line-ups out there, but there will still be 2 bigs in there to fortify the interior. Our defense has been way better since we made this switch.

The problem is finding minutes for all of our guards who are playing well. You basically have 96 minutes to split between 5 players; all who deserve a rotation spot. Stuckey is definitely a starter and a 30+ mpg player. Rip and AI are also in this boat, but play the same position. This means that even if you do not start Rip and bring him in off of the bench, he will still have to share court-time with AI, probably at the SF position.

So where does this leave Tay? Lots of questions with this roster with no easy answers.

9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Anything we can do to reduce Tay's minutes; I am all for it. Even if it means throwing Sharp or Hermann in for 10 minutes a game.

10. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Tay can get minutes playing back up point for Stuckey. Rip can do back up for the 2 and 3. AI will get most of his minutes at the two.

11. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

I agree with this. According to NBA.com, Tay is playing 37.5 mpg this year which is way to many in my opinion. If you wanted to play him closer to 32 mpg, that leaves 16 back-up minutes that could be taken up by a guard, so you have 112 total guard minutes. If you played AI, Rip, and Stuckey 32 mpg a piece, that leaves 16 mpg for AA and Bynum. That would mean that every game we would have a 3 guard line-up out there for 1/3 of the time.

Since all of these players really do deserve the minutes, these 3 guard line-ups might have to do for a while.