...a little mouse under a chair?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by pass99, Dec 23, 2008.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

For me, we are seeing the beginning of a big switch (offensively) for the Pistons and the opposite must also have changes, much to the chagrin of the hard-core fans. You have more movement, more free-form, slashing, less clock-work patterns, less grouping responses (see Garnett and the Baby scene) and a comfort ride down the lane. Spheres of bedcover well-being favor the youngsters: Stuckey, AI, Bynum and when he starts to feel more comfortable, Afflalo. All are superb athletes ready for constant movement.

I get the feeling that this a more comfortable style for Curry. He is smart enough to know that past could be prologue and he is just not buying into it. He is trying to find a particular and adaptive style, so comfort is second hand near the end of the season, and come playoff time, this style will carry over into next year.

Where does Amir and JMax fit in? Are they not more athletic and quicker that those starting ahead of them? I will come back to this.

The smooth meshing gears of the front court have it easier. They have more room and little history of what, in the past years, worked for the big men. It now no longer works for the latter. Except for Rip, none mesh with the free-form athleticism. Could this have been one of the reasons why CB was expendable?

I don't think that from Curry's or JD's point of view, this struggle was going to be an easy one for adaptation. AI fits in with this style, but has little patience to bring others along. The whirlwind that comprises AI's world, does not and never had, such a long dose of psychological dependences that this team drags around in each and every game. The technical fouls should be giving us significant clues. Usually the first to adapt are the younger ones and this seems to be the case.

It would have helped Amir, Brown, and JMax if the team wasn't struggling so badly. Equal starts among these players where more highly likely (as in the beginning of the season) and substitution patterns done with some form of comfort level where they could at least hold a lead. Unfortunately, they have to win enough games to at least give them a chance at the playoffs. Don't think that this is a given without a major change coming into the 3-4-5 slots. The bigs (with just good enough talent) must persevere, struggle and play more minutes. Are they up to it? Can they see the professional side or succumb in accepting lazy talent?

Where is the mindset of JD? The media is doing an absolutely horrible job of asking any probing questions. Equally, JD is not very clever in thinking that obfuscations about meshing team chemistry satisfies the perceptive fans. His big men (Sheen, Rip, Dyess, Tay) bounce back and forth between out of control (for older professionals and all stars?) and using the affable Tay (which the media seek out and usually quotes) as the major spokesperson when things are visibly unraveling.

Curry is taking on the heaviest responsibility on himself, as it should be. I am more worried about JD. Not about his competency, but what road is he taking and his perceptions on problem areas. He can lift a personal burden: by understanding there are no more secrets and feeling more comfortable with sharing questions he is asking of himself.

This quote is taken from what I consider one of the most perceptive management books ever written. I am sure that Curry and JD have read it. It is called, Management and Machiavelli (Antony Jay, pg. 144-145).
    One of the most memorable sermons of my schooldays was preached on the text:
    "%%%%%cat, %%%%%cat, where have you been?"
    "I've been to London to see the Queen."
    "%%%%%cat, %%%%%cat, what did you there?"
    "I saw a little mouse under a chair."
    The Preacher's question was, "Why had the cat not seen the queen?" It might be, of course, that the queen was not there. But it might be that the queen was there all the time, sitting on the chair, but the cat, being only a cat, saw nothing except the mouse. After all, if you are only a cat, your eyes are not looking at where the queen might be, and anyway your mind is not capable of comprehending anything so great and splendid even if your eyes were to see it. I will not labor the theological point, but there are also %%%%%cat executives. They do not see the great problems, only the little ones. you can judge a leader by the size of the problem he tackles--people nearly always pick a problem their own size, and ignore or leave to others the bigger or smaller ones. The chief executive should be thinking about the long-term changes which will bring growth or decay to different parts of the enterprise...

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Wow, what an amazing post.

But you cover so much ground in flyover country (for most fans) that I'm not sure where to start responding.

Thank you.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I do say.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Huh???

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

In the movie version, the CAT would be played by Kevin McHale.

6. roscoe36

One of many reasons.

7. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

This is why expect major changes to the team next year - the identity shift is on to this more free flowing / athletic team. This is obvious by hoe Joe has drafted in the last few years. Now, he is trying to ease the veterans out without being as obvious as just getting rid of them. The Curry hire is also a nod to this.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Who do we want to be?

What team in the past or present is a good example of our new target style?

9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That's a good question TaS.
    IMO, The current team as it stands is in a transition phase and I can't get a read on our "identity" this year.

My guess (for the future) is that Joe is looking toward becoming a younger version of the Celtics in the next few years. - Using cap space to add 2 or 3 all-stars to go with a solid supporting cast.

10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

This has been Joe's biggest problem over the past years. He's had coaches who's chief concern was winning the current game, they never looked beyond that game towards the playoffs or developing their youth. Which is why our starters have always, and continue to play so many minutes.

Great coaches are willing to lose a game or two, to develop the team and peak when it counts. I think Joe is doing that now, he's letting the team take a step back, because he's looking towards the future. And the future doesn't include too many of the current starters.

11. roscoe36

Fans

They press their faces to the window of League Pass like its a department store display, oohing and aahing over the frozen figures of LeBron, Garnett, Kobe, Chris Paul, Josh Smith and Da Ho.

But the days of being able to afford these scarlet letters have passed. They can't even be paid for with emotional layaway. The Pistons will tax your patience and your heart, upset your stomach and give you the shakes. It's like a bad relationship. When its good, its great. When its bad, its misery.

I've had too much caffeine today, but pass99 will get it.

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

No problem ...got your back.