1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

A question for the Detroit natives...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 1989, Apr 20, 2006.

1. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

I've never been to the Palace. In fact, I've barely spent any time in Detroit at all -- the last time I was there was maybe four years ago for something work-related.

Anyway, for those of you who are actually fortunate enough to attend games, I was wondering if somewhere in the Palace there is a nod to the origins of the franchise. Is there something somewhere that points to the founder of the team, Fred Zollner, the fact that the team played in Fort Wayne, Indiana for 16 seasons before moving to Detroit, the fact that the team was actually called the Zollner Pistons before being rechristened as, simply, the Pistons when they joined the BAA in 1948, or a mention of the two NBL championships the team won in 1944 and 1945?

I'm particularly curious about the two NBL championships. Is there anything in the Palace that celebrates them? (I'll be disappointed if there isn't, but I'm very curious.)

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Hopefully max responds to this. I know he is a season ticket holder. Warthog goes to a lot of games too. I haven't been to the Palace since 1990.

3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

they've got some stuff, but tbh i usually just head to my seats and dont stare at the things they have up lol. so i couldnt give any details heh.

4. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

I've been to The Palace quite a bit the last few years (the triple OT against the Nets was most exciting) and I don't recall anything beyond Fort Wayne being mentioned.

5. max

max All-Star

There used to be a very nice Piston Hall of Fame room that had everything a fan could want from Zollner to the bboys. It had the trophies on display as well as the 1st Piston game programs from the 50's.

Unfortunatly it was torn down to make way for the Cingular club a high priced bar where fans could spend money.

As far as I know all historical artifacts are now housed in a few display cases located in the hallway which is now only a few jerseys and useless what-nots of history. I will pay more attention to whats in them this Sunday. I will do a quick walk-through then and let you know what they still have.

I would love to have the Piston Hall back as it was a great place to see. Palace staff sees it otherwise preferring to use all its prime real estate within the Palace to sell something in.

6. 1989

Thanks everyone for your input, and thanks especially max for your detailed response. I would appreciate it immensely if you could tell me a bit more about what remains on display after Sunday's game (have a good time by the way! :)).

I really think it would be a shame if there isn't something that acknowledges the two NBL wins.

7. max

max All-Star

Every season there is still somekind of aknowledgement of the past with a game theme special. This year for every Friday home game they honored a past Piston/coach by enshrining their names in the floor. Yes in the floor! Each member honored has already had their numbers retired and rasied to the rafters in years past.

8. 1989

Yes, I remember when they honoured Isiah that way. I thought that was pretty neat.

9. max

max All-Star

Alright in continuation of this. The old Hall still basically exists within the Cingular club. You can sort of see it from the hallway but have to be a paying customer to get close up. So basically its a paid service now.

Anyone who has been in the club please tell us if the Trophies are still there. I would imagine they are since they used to be in the old hall when it was open to the public.

What you will find open to the general public is a small display in the hallway containing old jerseys. The main attraction is a pair of Bill Lambeirs shoes.

10. 1989

Not much then (at least that is readily visible).

Thanks for your report, max. I appreciate it. :)

11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

btw the palace addition is now complete, and very excellent!! there's a red bull stand, buffalo wild wings, larger bar / concession stand, and PLENTY of room to sit and eat. it's not even that bad of a price ($8 for 12 wings), and removes a LOT of congestion in the hallways during halftime. plus it's got a glass view (of the scenic parking lot heh), which is very cool.