A Scenario that would NOT hurt . . maybe.

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by RipBillupsRJC, May 18, 2006.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

If we go down to Cleveland we still need to keep Ben.

This will all fall on Flip.

This is from a pre-season ASB article...

As it stands, the rotation that finished within minutes of a second NBA title last month returns intact and should stay that way for at least another couple of seasons.

So with a firm squad in place and the solid backing of management, all Saunders has to do is win 50-plus games during the regular season and get Detroit back to the NBA Finals for the third year in a row.
    Anything short of that, and Saunders knows his hiring will be viewed, at least in the short-term, as a mistake.

If we go down to the Cavs (I'm betting we won't) Flip falls way short of that goal.
  2. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

I understand that your response is your own, as my thread is just a suggestion. Still, the Ben Wallace of yesteryear x2 was a whole lot better than the one we have now. I'd rather have Ben over no Ben, but I'd take young talent over him anyday. [Not just any talent, mind you . . ]
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was thinking the exact same thing last night after the game!

Its obvious that the coach isn't making any adjustments, so the players need to take it upon themselves to right this ship. The players are as much to blame as Flip for this 3 game slide, but I think they're also more likely to solve it than Flippin' Idiot.
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Ok trade Ben,

FOR WHO, WHO WOULD YOU TRADE BEN FOR, a scenario that makes sense.

It`s one thing to say trade Ben out of frustration, however, give me names, if you are serious.
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Trade Ben? Maybe NOW I've seen it all! To those jumping off Ben's bandwaggon...you better consider some things first.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR for the last 4 outta 5!

Everyone in the league knows Ben can't hit FT's. The thing you are missing here is that Ben has been misused by Flip...and Ben knows it and has expressed his frustration a few times this year.

LB knew Ben's strengths and limitations...he knew how to get Ben in the offense...mostly back-doors and tap-ins off his board strength...and even a few mid-range jumpers (remember the first couple games of the Miami series last year?) LB wanted to get Ben involved on the O because he knew Ben needed to feel involved...because that further fueled his D. LB made Ben feel good about himself on both ends of the floor.

Flip has hung Ben out to dry. Flip ain't a coach that works with this team's mentality. I SERIOUSLY don't think the players respect him...except for maybe CB, only because Flip has let him run the show most of the year. Flip didn't make CB great...LB did by forcing him to play team ball...THE RIGHT WAY!

I don't think any player on the team misses LB more than Ben...and maybe CB, in the back of his mind.
  6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

so you'd have preferred staying to old lying journeyman Brown? Or hiring some college- coach- scrub? Flip was the best available, by far and staying with LB was not an option, so what?
  7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Nate McMillan? Scott Skiles? Mike Brown? Eric Musselman?

It would be funny if Stan Ron Jeremy ended up as the Pistons coach next year.
  8. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

How bout Ben Gordon & L. Deng? Since no one has came up w/ something, I'll throw that one out there. This would give us an unbeatable 1, 2 & 3 spot rotation that could not be %%%%ed with. The downside would be that we would need to replace Big Ben with another big, which isnt the easiest thing to do.

But I for one, am NOT on the trade Ben bandwagon - unless he were to demand an outrageous contract.
  9. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

We would gain some offense but would be left with a huge rebounding and defensive hole. No thanks on that one.
  10. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

I say give Ben another year at minimum. But then again we were all talking so fantastically about Ben retiring a Piston. I don't like the NBA trend of shipping off your old and waning for a few picks and cap space.

Stick him on the bench and he can be our Zo, get another C to start. I want Ben here, we just need to stop relying on him so much.
  11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

LB was under contract. As far as I'm concerned he worked for the Pistons. I MAKE that guy pick up the phone and tell me he's not coming before I run him out the door by assuming I know what's in his mind.
  12. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

Gain some offense? Are you kidding me? Gordon is INSTANT offense off the bench. Try ALOT of offense while losing NONE!!! Yes we lose the DPOA, so that would be a huge hole. Honestly, I don't think it would get much better than that. Not sure if Chicago would even consider it.

Could you imagine Gordon (PG, SG), Billups (PG, SG), Hamilton (SG), Deng (SG, SF) and Prince (SG, SF). The versatility & depth would be SICK!!! (Or Nocioni (SF, PF) instead of Deng)

Now it sounds like I'm drooling over this scenario, but I really can't see us losing the heart and soul of our team.
  13. max

max All-Star

Lets wait to see how this plays out before jumping to any final conclusions about the current Pistons.
  14. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Thats not going to happen. However, I could see Chicago giving us New Yorks lottery pick.