A. Sherrod blog vs horrible beat writers

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 16 Mile, Jan 12, 2006.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Detroit beat writers have always been bad, but they've taken a huge step backwards this year. Rob Parker telling fans not to complain and enjoy the ride, some Freep writer giving Evans a B because he has a good attitude, and McCosky asking Flip questions about everything but the Pistons.

Thankfully Mr. Blakely has decided to keep a blog making non biased comments about the true state of our teams, I'm calling this mandatory reading.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/weblog/

His opening take on Darko was pretty eye opening to me, makes sense, Joe hasn't just given up on Darko, he's given up on any projects, and decided to crash and burn with the starting 6 for the forseeable future.

As for the Det news and Freep, yeah we're having a great season, but there are questions about this team, and discussing these questions is supposed to be your job. Here's a few if they read this:

Is DMC benched because of problems with ability, attitude, or something else?
    Why is Evans getting so much PT over Delfino?
    What's going on with the development of the rooks?
    What happens if one of the big 6 gets hurt?
    Any plan on reducing minutes so we dont have tired legs?
    Why the rebounding problems?
    Status of Big Ben's contract?
    What's up with Dale?
    And don't tell me about JMax's attitude, can he play in the NBA, and at what position?
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Read the Blog people. The Darko answers are there. If you want to believe them. Darko can't get in front of Dice and WallsX2. Who aren't going anywhere. He'll probably end up on a bad team. Where he'll play.
    And like I've said all along: A lot of teams want him. And we'll get the best of the deal, easy.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

16 mile, Blakely is a good guy. But don't take everything he says for gospel. Yes, he does have his biases. Do you really think the Pistons organization is such a sad sack as to just throw away Darko? Can't let him play thru his mistakes? Lets talk about this a moment.

If you believe what Blakely is saying, Darko may be one awesome player, but the Pistons don't have any room to let him play thru his mistakes.

Slow that down. As you and I, and many other posters around these parts have said, players need NBA minutes to get better. NBA minutes is something Darko has had precious little of. Practice don't cut it. You can't accuretly reproduce the NBA game in practice.

And per what Blakely is saying, this is absolutely true. But wait one moment. How about Maxiell, Acker, and Amir Johnson. I know I have heard somewhere these guys are getting better from sitting over on the bench and watching the NBA game. They are getting better learning from the bench, listening to their coaches. Etc. Its all bull. What is really happening is that these three rookies are each day worse. Each day, its been one more day since the last time they were part of a rotation. Since they were playing, finding out what their roles were out on the floor to make their team win a game.

The rooks have no focus. No clue what they need to practice on. They don't have clue one about what they are good at, and what needs improving. Not a clue about what direction there practices need to go in. Not that there is that much time for practice between all the games during the season.

But no, I won't believe the Pistons organization is that clueless. As things are progressing this season, the Pistons will not win a championship. They will not have the players needed ready to play. In our rooks though, and Darko, we have all the talent we need to win it all. I will continue to have faith in Joe Dumars and the Pistons organization in general that they will get some of these players involved before the end of the season. Could even be Darko, despite Mr. Blakely's personal biases.
  4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Re: hi

Talent is not the only thing that wins games, playoff series, or championships. You don't win the NBA finals playing 4 rookies significant minutes (i'm including darko in the rookie category), especially if that likely opponent is San Antonio and the coach is Greg Poppovich.
  5. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

The point I was making was not about whether I agree with what Sherrod said about Darko, but the fact that he is actually discussing important issues with the team, something the other writers seem to want to ignore.

As for JMax, you cant compare him to Darko, he's a career bench player at best, he will never start in the NBA, and will never demand big bucks. Detroit can afford to let him develop on the bench. Darko will demand huge bucks, I dont think Detroit is willing to pay him 5 to 7 mil a year for 3 more years waiting for Ben to slow down.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The only "disagreement" I had with you is about calling the guy unbiased. But now that you write what you just wrote about Jason Maxiell, I got to take exception. As a power forward, Jason Maxiell I doubt will make it. But I bet he ends up being a dynamite small forward.

And I personally like to start seeing that happening this year. As you, know, I am not too high on Evans. Meanwhile, I think Delfino is going to do the best for us at guard. So for sure, I can see Maxiell, this year, helping us if Flip tries him at small forward. And also, I think Amir Johnson is yet another candidate, this year, to fulfill that role. (And Alex Acker should compete with Hunter for third pointguard minutes.)
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I wanted to defend J-Max. I wanted to make a witty condemnation of your talent evaluation skills.

I think I will just wait for the Free The Brahma Genius Club to read this and set you "right".

J-Max. The Real Deal.
  8. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Jmax will be a stud unlike dorko who has been a dud

i dont see darko commanding the big$$$$$ till he has proven himseld more
  9. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

16, I agree with you about the beat writers, but not about Darko.

I really don't think Joe has given up on him, but he has changed the rules of engagement. Every time I'm ready to throw Darko in the toilet, I have to remind myself of one basic fact.

7 Footers don't need much talent, and when they wake up, they really wake up. Darko has the talent to be better than a scrub in this league, and it's just a question of time.

His time may run out here, but there is no shortage of GM's that will take a chance on a kid that big and talented. I wouldn't turn down a sweet offer for him if it helps the team, but I wouldn't give him away for cheap.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Put me down for , if we trade Darko, a lotto pick 3-10 and a backup vet SF. Or whatever backup body we need.
    I think I just figured JDs math. He took the best player available to cash in at a later time. He never expected to keep Darko, unless a major injury happened. Now he has every GM in the league frothing at the mouth to get Darko. IJDWT
  11. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I agree. Darko, as a big guy in the NBA with some skills, is a rarity. He has the shot blocking ability down as we've seen it. The rebounding will come along with more PT, and the scoring, well, if you get sets run for you and more PT, there's nowhere for that average to go but up.

But things have changed a bit. Unless he shows something really remarkable, he's gonna be buried on the bench. That's just the hand he is dealt with here in Detroit.

If he really can't crack that lineup, he most likely will get traded, because he probably wouldn't want to re-sign without any assurance of seeing court action. Joe will probably see this and get value for him.

I see the Darko pick as still the right pick to make at that time. Still would've made him number 2. Call me stubborn but that's just the way I see it. No doubt, Wade and Bosh would have been better, but at that time nobody knew anything for certain except Lebron.

Oh and JMax still has the potential. Talks like him not making it will probably drive him. Everybody can potentially be a superstar in this league. Ask Chauncey. Ask Rip. Ask Ben.

:nod:
  12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

For me I think this forum has made the difference as to how I percieve the 'other' sources. The insight, writing quality and fanaticism makes the beat writers look like uninterested hacks. the only thing missing here is "insider info." And its what we are craving.

I'm glad ASB is blogging to keep the die hard crew informed. Which is the exact oposite of the detnews blog team. I'd like to contribute to the detnews weblog...he's my submission.

Wow, you gotta love the pistons sending a message to the Spurs last night. Rasheed just proved that he's an essential part of the championship run against Tim Duncan not matter what Mehmet Okur is averaging this year.

pfffff.
  13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

What's wrong with the detnews blog. There is some insightful and heavy duty material in there. For example.

Joanne C. Gerstner

This is good inside information that isn't being posted elsewhere. No?
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Bills, you crack me up man...:nod:
  15. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick