1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

A small window of opportunity

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by pass99, Jan 7, 2007.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Not at all surprising results. The problems are still present and won’t go away until this summer’s changes.

Can anything be done to help the playoff situation? Granted, the Pistons will make the playoffs, but not a go-to-player-in-the-bunch.

I suggest that we move in an incremental fashion. There are two moves that can be made which will not compromise an impact situation for the summer turn-around.

One: we have to get JMax into the starting rotation and more playing minutes. The vaulted defense will have to find way back through the offense. JMax creates all types of match-up problems and the sooner we get him in the starting rotation, the better. Far too much compliancy on this team.

Two: we need to pick up an individual who is a go-to type. The bigger positions (5-4) are too tough for an overhaul now and every team is in a chase for big man influence. The CB situation complicates the issue of big trade impacts and it is best taken on over the summer. However, there is one huge option at the 1-2 spot: we are talking Bonzi Wells.

Here we have a go-to guy and not to mention brings huge baggage issues. This is one mind-set in search of some form of stability…which has a huge potential upside for Detroit. Here’s why:
    • Competing huge egos modify and re-direct excessive individualism (Sheed and CB). This could modify his excessive meanderings and his personality fit can be accepted by the team. I like to call this, “The Three Christ of Ypsilanti” syndrome.
    • He is not happy with his current team (which may never happen) and wants out. He actually never got to the front door.
    • Grew up the Midwest (Indiana) and the style of pure individualism fits the eastern game as it currently now stands.
    • Thrives in the spot light and is fearless during crunch time. CB, Rip, and Bonzi are huge match up problems during playoff time, because all defensive set against Rip and CB (and well known) are out the door.
    • Opens up the paint. If the other teams cheat, then fire away. In playoff time, you need to break up the defensive sets and this will show a different side of offensive flow which is non-existent. Put up a 100 shots...JMax and Bonzi (excellent rebounder) will have a feast.
    • Regardless of season’s results with him on team, he will provide a plethora of options just having his talent available to the Pistons for maximizing purposes when serious negotiations start this summer. I am taking huge gulps of the “power of positive thinking” concerning the strategic talent of JD’s organization to see this advantage.
    • Detroit can handle his personality.
    • This deal can be made cheap (relatively) and I am sure the rest of this forum should be able to tell the organization how much and what way this can be accomplished.
    JD is now at 30 games and the results will be no further along at game 60 if a deal like this is not completed. This deal needs to be done now and accommodations can start to further enhance our chances of another title.

Go Pistons.

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Half of the Pistons are incorrectly used in the offense. Unless we want this team to turn into the Sonics, Flip will not have players who are perfect for his offense. This is the small window of oppurtunity for Joe to talk some sense into Flip, and let the players be more flexible. I don't mind Flip's offense except for the fact their are no post ups.

3. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

So...you want to put JMax, a bench scrub who's just starting to get minutes and has zero playoff experience in the starting line up and pick up Bonzi "moley moley moley" Wells to be our go-to guy?

Absolutely not. The Pistons are winning, leading in the East in fact. Until we see these guys mess up horribly in the playoffs and the summer of golf begins, don't expect any drastic changes.

4. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

I agree with putting Jmax into the starting lineup. I wish Flip would lay the hammer down and tell Sheed to stay in the gosh darn post. Whenever Max gets out there early, our guys always seem to get an emotional lift. I don't agree with the Bonzi acquisition, but I will not completely walk all over your suggestion *cough like the person above me*.

5. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

I didn't say that I don't agree that we shouldn't pick up Bonzi, he'd be a great backup/bench player. But I don't agree in him being our 'main go-to-guy' - I think we're fine having four options in Prince, Hamilton, Billups or Sheed. In fact, if it were the last possession with game 7 on the line, there wouldn't be anybody else I'd rather go-to then those four.

6. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Bonzi is not a go-to guy tho, so there's little point in saying we should get him and make him our go-to guy. He's a good second or third scorer on a good team when he's focused and behaving, and he's never been anything more.

7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

A) They are NOT leading the East

and...

B) I'm glad they are no long leading the East, because I am sick and tired of the team using that crap excuse to not address any problems. They continue to get by winning games playing poorly and relying on bad habit. Habits which, given the right conditions...oh like say...THE PLAYOFFS, will kick you in the arse.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Joe said most teams take the first 40-50 games to evaluate their current squad before making a move... I would assume that's what he is doing.
    There may still be an opportunity for internal improvement with repetition... however some players we already have a good read on... Sheed comes to mind.
    I'm ok with Bonzi because he has a low risk one year deal.... don't they need a PG? (if you want to call Flip Jr a PG)
    Right now Bonzi is having back problems.

9. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Bonzi would make a huge difference in the playoffs. He's big and physical, can score from almost anywhere, rebounds and plays D. I bet Kander would clear up that back-ache in no time flat. A straight-up swap for Flip Jr. get's my vote.

I get the feeling that he really wants to play here. Unlike Flip Jr., Bonzi should know what to bring in a CONTRACT year.

10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Is this the Hogwarts athletic department? Wave a wand and all the bad goes away leaving only the good? Bonzi caused trouble in Portland and was bounced. Caused trouble in Memphis and was bounced. In sac? Hey, if you were playing fantasy hoops he was great. But he went unsigned for a LOOOOOOOONG time. Then when he got to houston he went into the dog house. then the infirmary. then they brought the doghouse to the infirmary. Who carried the SG spot in T-MACs absence? Head.

People say well look at sheed. look at chauncey. well....look at them NOW. A corporate culture is fostered by its management. That included RC and LB and Big Ben. Maybe if we had gotten bonzi in 2005 we could have maybe made him realize more of his potential but right now we can barely keep our own guys from waving off the substitution, refusing to go back in a game, play hard more than one night in five.