Above all else CB is loyal...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, Jul 30, 2006.

?

Come hell or Big Money CB will not desert us!

1. Yes, CB knows this is his house...even for much less cash

46.9%
  2. No, he's ready to move on and snatch the cash

53.1%
  1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

CB will not desert us!
    Let's see how well you understand CB.
    I'll be taking names in this one.:nod:
    Who's down?
  2. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Billups will remain a Piston!
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I always thought Ben would stay, and if anyone would leave it would be CB.

Watch Chauncey stay. It's always the one you don't expect that suprise you.
  4. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Hasn't Chauncey already gone on record as saying "If things go the way we want them to, I will opt out"? (sorry no link, but it was a CB quote from a newspaper article in the past month)

I think we can take that as an indication that his heart is not necessarily with us, and it will be a business decision for him. If Joe can make the money right, CB will stay. He's not unhappy the way Ben was. But if another team offers more money (money=status, value, RESPECT) I do think he will go to that team, and it might not even have to be a contender. I think that Chauncey is even more attached to these intangible markers of success than Ben was. We gotta pay him to keep him.
  5. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Uh, I think you can take his statement that he will opt out as, well, the absolute truth of him being way underpaid (and I don't think your quote is correct, he's straight up said he's going to opt out).

He'd be an idiot not to opt out whether he wants to stay here or go elsewhere and acknowledging that doesn't mean that he wants to leave or that he wants to stay. You're reading tea leaves.

We'll definitely have to pay to keep him (and an entire year to go means there's no way of knowing what his attitude towards the team will be by then so there is a chance he leaves no matter what just as there is a chance he takes less to stay).

In general, I find the idea that everyone owes us a home town discount odd. It's great when a guy does sign for less, but to get all pissy when they don't is just weird.
  6. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

From the Dever Post, 7/11/2006

The Pistons' next contractual concern could be Billups, who likely will opt out of his contract next summer, forgoing $6.8 million for the 2007-08 season in order to become a free agent. But the 2004 NBA Finals MVP said he "loves" Detroit and his "heart" is with the Pistons.

"It's probably a pretty good chance that I will opt out if everything goes the way we hope it will," he said.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's why they put the clause in the contract. So bust-out guys can renegotiate. But why wait till next summer. He's been here 4 complete years.

I made the poll unconditional. But if the Pistons can't get within $15mil.
    total contract difference he might bolt. Less than that he stays. Even though he's forgone the USA games to be with new child and wife, I'm sure he can feed his family and keep a roof over their head.
    It's gonna get loud!
  8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I hope a way is found to keep him. It depends a lot on what kind of season he has this year. And in one of those perverse quirks of fate, the better season he has, the more likely someone is to toss big bucks at him making it harder for the Pistons to keep him. The better the team does, the more likely it is to do poorly the next year because CB goes.

Anyway, I don't think a $15m difference is close enough to keep him. Five or six over the term maybe. Any more and he'll start pulling out baby pictures and talking about the high price of sneakers in toddler sizes.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

As it stands right now, the big players in free agency next year will be;

Atlanta
    Charlotte
    Milwaukee
    New Orleans
    Chicago

that's based upon rough guesstimates.
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Atlanta - would be in the running, if CB wants a contender, then no way

Charlotte - ditto, though maybe the lure of MJ?

Milwaukee - probably not looking for a point, much better served by a forward

New Orleans - not looking for a point, got Chris Paul

Chicago - probably not looking for a point, got more guards than they need already

That's pretty slim pickings for Mr B.
  11. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Billups bounced around more than anyone and has talked in the past about being delighted to be here. His loyalty I think is of a different type than Ben's was.
  12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If anything, the Big Ben Bolt should have taught us that the NBA is a BUSINESS. No matter what a player says, we don't know what will happen until the he signs a contract. Either with us or someone else.

Sure loyalty is still a factor for some players. Is CB one of them? Impossible to know until its all said and done with.

I never thought in a million years that Big Ben would leave. If anyone was likely to take less to stay because of loyalty, I though Ben would be that guy.

CB is saying all the right things now - but so did Ben. Do you really expect him to say "Man, I'm opting out and if Joe D doesn't show me the money, I'm gone."

Of course not. He's going to say all the right things right now. No matter if he truly believes them or not.
  13. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I think we will pay what it takes to keep him...He is worth more to us than Ben. I think C B is the true leader of the team. The league is changing and Chauncy can score. I also think C B was in the discussion when Ben was given his offer. We couldn't pay ben what he wanted and have a chance to keep C R B.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I want to thank all who've participated in my threads. I'm just making conversation.
    AuraK I think you're letting the whinning, faithless, naysayers pollute your affection for CB. Be strong! Start an altar...
    Jamm have faith, this isn't the Lions.
  15. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, I guess that's one thing to be thankful for! :doh:
  16. pas99

pas99 Second Round Draft Pick

These will all be secondary with a sign and trade. The minimum will be a start-off of 12 million and escalate from there. CB will need a 3-5 year deal and it won't happen with Detroit. Come draft time, the Pistons will need to draft up from probably 9-11 to get that big center and other offensive changes might well occur.
  17. max

max All-Star

I have been trying to avoid these Billups threads. Yes he likes playing for the Pistons and I believe wants to stay. But we all saw how quickly a player/team relationship can sour with the departure of Ben Wallace.

Assuming all remains the same then I can see the Pistons doing what it takes to retain Billups. Perhaps even overpaying to avoid losing 2 team Captains in back to back off-seasons. That would be a distaster and Pistons brass would come across as bush league.

So yes he wants to stay but as with Tay, Rip and Sheed Davison is going to have to fork over some cash to keep him.

So add a 3rd poll option. Yes he wants to stay but the Pistons will have to pay.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Why were you avoiding the CB threads? Because mine are crazy?
  19. max

max All-Star

Seems like a lot are into slammerino Billups posts these days. Not sure where its comming from. Can't lead the team, Mr Big Head, ...

Chauncey had a lot of other offers when he chose us. Had to be some reason? I have never heard of him complaining or showing any signs of disgruntlement so I can't see why he would not choose us again.
  20. detteam

detteam All-Star

The big difference between CB & Ben is that CB proclaims to like Flip. If CB is truthful...he will stay. If he bolts...Flip is toast.