Above all else CB is loyal...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TheeTFD, Jul 30, 2006.

?

Come hell or Big Money CB will not desert us!

1. Yes, CB knows this is his house...even for much less cash

46.9%
  2. No, he's ready to move on and snatch the cash

53.1%
  1. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Chauncey Billups is a business man with no reason to feel shameful for accepting the best offer for his services. His loyalty is rightly placed if he seeks to get the best deal for himself and his family. Money might only be one of many considerations he takes into account.

I would expect him to consider the following (how he ranks them and his personal priorities will determine how he views the opportunity):

1- Position- His position in the team heirarchy and how this plays into the
    2- Opportunity -- to win a Title
    3- Corporate Culture-- vibe in locker room and in the front office
    4- Money and Length of deal- often most important, but not always
    5- Geography- Does his family like Detroit, where are other offers, etc.

Each interested team will bring something different to the table. It's up to us, if we want to keep him to make sure that we offer him a better total package than the others. It's important for Joe D to assess the situation and make a proper read so he can decide what to do before Billups leaves for what he perceives to be a better offer.

Smart hiring managers in business deal with this every single day when they hire employees or attempt to retain their best employees.

I hope Joe knows what Billups wants out of his next deal and decides before Feb if he can meet his needs. If not, move him and move on. It's business, not love. Loyalty works in love and friendship, it's a poor motivator in business.
  2. max

max All-Star

CB adjusts. He is a very positive guy who can adjust to all situations. But does he like this situation? He recommended Flip. Had the best year of his career ( exception of game 6 noted )

Robert Michael. - I agree. If its determined that the Pistons are not going to match a large offer that Chauncy may accept then you have to get something for him. Hoping it does not get to that. We are not going to find a better available point than Billups in the next few seasons. Rack us up for .500 if we lose Billups.
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Agreed. I have finally come full circle and determined that just because I want a pure point guard instead of Chauncey Billups (a very talented combo 3pter guard) doesn't mean there is one available or willing to come to Detroit soon. I'm hoping Chauncey can make Flip's system (!?!) work better this year (with the unopened 1/2 of Flip's playbook). We'll see. It's a tough call to spend more money on Chauncey than we were willing to spend on Ben in my opinion, but it is what it is if we want to be competitive the next few years.
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Off topic a bit, but it's a slow day.

I wonder why a player who is on his last big contract doesn't look more at the declining payment schedule. By last contract, I mean someone like Billiups who will most likely sign a five year deal, and then either retire or take less to play out a couple more years (or BBen).

It seems advantagous to both the player and the team. Using TheeTFD's numbers, but in the more conventional order (starting at 15 with raises), it doesn't take much of an inflation rate for the year five 20 be less of less real value than the year one 15. So, the player gets more real money (net present value or something like that), and the team pays more in real terms, but has ever increasing help with the salary cap over the life of the contract.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The $20m at the end makes him harder to trade. If were're through with him. The $20m up front gets the 2 parties even.
    And what does the "rock mean to the soul". A steadfast and constant, read same and boring, presence?
  7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

An ever changing and ever constant connection between what we aspire to and what is, without regard to us and our aspirations.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think if CB tries to snatch the cash, Sheed should threaten to kidnap CB's oldest.
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

2 things going the Pistons way with Chauncey that didn't work their way with Ben.

• Chauncey's favorite player growing up was Joe Dumars. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it plays a factor. ben really liked Joe here, but Chauncey looked up to the guy from his childhood.
    • Chauncey likes Flip's system while Ben hated it. That's the biggest difference.
  10. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I agree. Chauncey benefits the most from Flip's system as everything seems to really run through him and he can exercise more "freedom" in taking that jumpshot, the Mr. Big Shot shot. And he's played for Flip before. It still may come down to the money with him.

One of the ways these guys measure themselves against each other is: who is getting the longterm deal with the most money? I still think NBA status may be a factor with him, especially if there's a question about whether we can get another championship on his point guard watch.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

CB has never been a weak link in the scoring system. Although LB wanted him to play pure point he realized CB was consistant and special. And gave him leeway. I think he avg. only 3 pt. more in Flip's system.
  12. G-man

G-man Starter

"I hope Joe knows what Billups wants out of his next deal and decides before Feb if he can meet his needs. If not, move him and move on. It's business, not love. Loyalty works in love and friendship, it's a poor motivator in business" Robert Michael

We can't trust Joe D's gut instinct on where his players heads are and how they might be turned. That's a given after Wallace.

July 18th 2002, Billups said of the Timberwolves, "we need to grow together. ... The only way you get better is if you stay together."

Then he promptly flew to Detroit with Agent Andy Miller and made the deal with the Pistons.

(Keep in mind that prior comment was right before McHale re-signed center Rasho Nesterovic leaving no money on the table for a long-term deal with Billups.)

[​IMG]

Personally I think all the plugs get pulled to keep this player in house. Its more than a financial deal. But, it may come down to his agents advice.

His agent is New Jersey based Andy Miller who runs ASM. Miller seems reasonable ans is also the agent for some other fairly high-profile players, including Kevin Garnett, Ron Mercer, Donyell Marshall, Stromile Swift and our own Antonio McDyess.
  13. FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH

FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH First Round Draft Pick

What are you trying to say? I hope you're not making him out to be a liar