Acker to Maccabi Tel-Aviv?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

2. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

So if Acker signed to play in Greece, does that mean we still have one roster spot? What's the story on Cato? I think we need someone for the 5 besides Nazr and Dale Davis. He didn't play at all last year and we paid all that money for him. I'd like to see him play if we still have money for him.
  3. max

max All-Star

Would have been nice if he stayed in case someone gets injured or Murry does not work out. Plus how do we get a read on this guy if he is oversees?

At least the Pistons still hold his draft rights.

For him, he makes an extra 600k now but how much more could he have gotten in the future if he were here and more visible?
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yes we have a spot available... it's likley that Cato signs because he won't get a better offer somewhere else (we can beat any offer) and Joe can use DD's contract in a trade.

Someone from thre Pistons needs to explain how we can still have Acker's rights... it goes against the CBA guidelines as we know it.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like how Chris M. reiterates that Detroit retains Ackers' rights. Maybe if he repeats it enough times, it will sound plausible.

Next year with potentially two incoming first rounders and two incoming second rounders, I don't see this kid coming back. Especially if he is effective in Europe. That Olympiacos team will either be great or terrible.

This seriously jacks up the Acker/Johnson video I have been working on.
  6. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Don't lose ALL hope, Roscoe. In a couple years, Acker will be the kind of guy that Joe likes to sign. And this will be at the expense of one of next years 2nd round picks (or Blalock).

In other words, down the road a bit Acker could be the next Ronald Dupree or Mo Evans. And we'll be bummed about giving up on a newer promising 2nd rounder.
  7. roscoe36

KP, thanks. I haven't lost all hope. I just had a great feeling about this kid. Better than Maxiell or Johnson to be honest. I see a little bit of Joe Dumars (the player) in him.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Acker has signed a 1 year deal with Greece.
  9. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Is there no way we retain his rights?

Chris M just doesn't have a clue?
  10. roscoe36

We can retain his rights, it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me, unless Joe D is looking to trade some draft picks.

The deal makes sense for the Pistons and Acker. Personally, I think Olympiacos overpaid for him, but they were in a pissing battle with Maccabi Tel-Aviv for his services.

I'm just plain sad to see him go, and doubt he will get another go around with Detroit, or even the NBA for that matter. Something about the perceived taint that players get from working in Europe.
  11. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Smush Parker played in Greece and I think Mo played in Italy. The Basketball world is getting more connected worldwide and I think we will see more player movement in the future. And the First round draft pick was from Europe for the first time ever.
  12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Heck, at Colangelo's pace of signing Europeans, I don't know if they'll be any leagues left over there to play in. :P
  13. jetscreamer

jetscreamer First Round Draft Pick

My understanding is AA was offered a contract by the pistons. So we have the right to match any offer. He wasn't going to play so the pistons encouraged him to go to greece/israel to play at a higher level than the NBDL. I think this a great move except if he really shines he may get a bigger offer that we would have the right to match. So we retain the right of first refusal that any NBA team would offer. I think all these guys who are not ready to contribute should be left overseas. Samb, Milicic even Delfino haven't played and we still don't know how good they will be. Okur was the only prospect who came over ready to play and compete but he was a little older. Sorry I got side tracked.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

AA is going to have a fun time in Greece. Young, rich, single, and he can tell chicks that he has a contract in the NBA.
  15. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

Acker will do just fine overseas and will average about 15pts to 20pts a game. Acker did not had the explosive game that the Pistons are willing to chance or develope. Acker will have a career in the NBA soon I think he will have to have a great year to supplant that.
  16. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I hope Acker goes over there and proves the critics wrong. I hope he rips it up.
  17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Was Joe Dumars ever considered explosive? It was a different NBA in the 80's though.