Acker vs. Dupree

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Oct 16, 2005.

1. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

hahahahaha

Lindsey here for a couple more years? The guy is just wasting a roster spot right now. Flip doesn't even plan on using him much until the second half of the season, and even then he won't beat out Arroyo or Evans for many backups guard minutes.
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yes indeed Micro, the contract of Acker could be the key here... this would be an excellent question for Blakley tio investigate (any Mlivers out there?)
    A stint to Euro could be what works best (contract providing).
    Even if the contract doesn't work out a st8 release does not mean we can't bring him back when LH retires next year (wink wink deal)
    It's worth the risk

As for the multiple SF's... that's the beauty of this squad... we don't have to play a pure PG.

If Rip can gaurd AI effectively he sure can stay with most PG's on defense...
    We have guys with solid handles to bring it up and distribute (Delfino, Tay)... so the position name is less relevant.

Wouldn't mind seeing the jumbo gaurd set against certain teams.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Wasting a roster spot?
    That's cold man... I know you saw him terrorize the Heat & Spurs in the playoffs.
    Yeah, If Acker can show more game it might make LH expendable... but Lindseys defense can still be a valuable asset... just in a more limited role.
  4. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

He terrorized them so good we lost to the Spurs and nearly lost to the Heat. That's what happens when Lindsey Hunter plays 20mpg. Hunter can make a nice defensive contribution in 5-10mpg....I just don't think that is worth losing a YOUNG, VERSATILE, and TALENTED PLAYER for.
  5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Not that I am a member of the keep Lindsey fan club, but Lindsey was one of the reasons we got past the Heat. Did you see the "D" Lindsey was playing on D-Wade? Our loss had nothing to do with Lindsey's performance.
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

7. max

max All-Star

more info

I still need to see Acker play more to see if he is ready for the NBA. Had a great game tonight.

Evans can do what Dupree does but Acker can provide the team with a new dimension in the backcourt. A strong combo guard that can pass as well as shoot 3's. He is still pretty rough.

Hopefully Flip will stick to the plan of giving these guys some mins even though teams like Milw are playing their regulars heavy mins.
  8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

This back in forth is driving me to lunacy. :wacko:
  9. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

My 2 cents...Dupree is the square peg for the round hole. Everything he brings is covered by other guys with contracts. With Delfino, Evans, and Tay covering the 3, Dupree would have seen almost no time anyway. The News article mentions several other teams that would take Acker now, and states that Joe has had no discussions regarding Dupree...is that becauase he doesn't want to have those trade discussions, or is it because no one is interested???

You know how GMs love to blow smoke up players rear ends right before they release them, but Joe was quoted as saying he saw a lot of Alan Houston's game in young Acker. I guess we'll know what's up if the Dupree/Shawn Marion comparison gets mentioned.
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Good point Tally... Joe knows his comments hit the national media (just look at Hoopshype today)... he could be posturing a deal... kinda like all of the fluff about Chuckster before the Sheed deal.
    I do believe Joe and Hammond really like Acker (glowing reports after SL).
    I think if Dupree is not traded, he's a lock to make the roster... Flip already said he has more than a roster spot.
    Dupree is more effective than he looks... his athletisim will always lead to high % shots that others just can't create.
    it's not how pretty it is... but does he get the job done?

As for trade value... Delfino's stock has risen..
    I've made a 180 on Delfino... his ball handling skilz could be very valuable... it gives the team more lineup flexibility.

You know we've been heaping praise on the bench this preseason.. but when our bench was matched up against the bench of Dallas & Milwaukee the last couple games did we win most of the battles?
    Every team is high on their youth this time of year.
  11. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

^^ vs. Dallas our bench was matched up against their starters for a good amount of time, and held their own.
  12. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Amir Johnson won't go to the Minors. Joe has already said that. He is just a kid, and there's something to be said for keeping an eye on your players. Especially when they're 18 and haven't been away from their families before. Make sure they're making good decisions off the court. Joe also said he didn't know what the living circumstances were going to be like in the D-League. They did mention that he may go down for stints when the team is on long road trips.

That said, I think if Joe has to let someone go, it'll probably be Dupree. Out of Delfino, Evans, Acker, and Dupree, Dupree is the only one that we really know what to expect from. And out of those 4, Acker is probably the best prospect for the back-up SG spot, it certainly isn't Dupree.

Rumor has it that Acker can also play the PG, which could be some insurance if Lindsey can't keep the health.

Dupree brings hustle, and desire. Which on some teams would be enough to keep him around. But this Pistons squad seems to have pleanty of hustle and desire.

And as we saw in the playoffs last year, this squad really needs some scorers. I think Delfino, Evans, and Acker fit that bill better than Dupree.

I would like to see the kid do well, but I do wonder how much playing time he'd get if he satyed. So maybe for his sake it would be better if he could find a team that needed him.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm so on the fence on this subject that I change my mind every few minutes, man I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth like I got a brother named Herb and I grew up in NY.

Acker really didn't impress me at the pt last night in Milw, however he didn't dissappoint me either. The same statement can be said for Dupree. Man I wish we could trade both of them for a 19/20 year old kid. Neither of these 2 will play very much, although with Dupree's experience he probably is more likely to contribute from time to time. While Ack would get garbage mins if he dresses, Dupree could actually be put into the game and deliver energy.

Since neither player is likely to get much burn, there are several advantages to keeping Acker over Dupree. Acker needs to play and is eligible to go to the NBDL where he's likely to get some serious run, Dupree isn't egible for the NBDL. If you cut or trade him he can get his $$$ and sign for another deal with another team where he can get some run, shine and possibly make some $$$ for himself.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Man do I hear dat!... that's exactly what I'm thinkin'... it might change 5 more times before I hit the sack tonight.lol

But what really matters is what Joe is thinking... if he says he wants to keep both of them... we gotta believe that's the plan... when he was asked about Lindsey, he said "we're exploring all our options"... not yeah he'll be on the roster.

IMO Acker has a week to show that he can stay in front of quick PG's... if he can do that nearly as well as Hunter (big IF) then LH is the odd man out. Acker already has Hunter beat in every other aspect of the game (except the clubhouse)....
    I was wrong about there not being any teams interested in our late 2nd round pick (Joe's commenting that least 4 other teams are interested)... Looks like Joe ain't ready to let the bird (in hand) fly free... cause he might find greener pastures and come back to bite us.

Yes, releasing Hunter is a risky deal... especially around playoff time.
    Which raises the question... could we release him and sign him back later?... that's an option if no team claimed him off waivers... or if he retired and unretired.
    Why would we do this when we still would have to clear a roster spot to bring LH back?... because it would buy Joe some time to make another move and further monitor Ackers progress.
    So "D" up young man and the job is yours.
  15. Darth Tater

I'm calling a bird warehouse right now to see if we can buy some crow in bulk. Because we all gonna be eatin' some IF Lee hit this one correctly! :hungry:
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yeah, especially if A.J. stays on the team (instead of NBADL)... but then again Lee didn't think the NBADL was gonna happen this year.

Food for thought:
    You have GM's like Joe and Isiah saying they might not send their players down to the NBADL.... they're concerned about their guys not getting enough PT and not learning the home teams "culture"... Isiah flat out saying he's not sending his kids down to Fayateville.
    The NBADL would not have to pay for these salaries at all... they would be very motivated to get this prime talent on their roster for free (not to mention more fan interest).
    Is this just a ploy from the NBA teams to ensure that their guys get starter type minutes?... Wouldn't this lead to some under the table deals... like play my guy and run some Piston plays and I'll think about sending you a player or two.
    This new affiliation has several flaws, that won't be resolved until each team has their own dedicated affiliate team (two years away at least).
    Personally I'll be dissapointed if A.J. spends the whole year on our bench (they did say he could go down during long road trips).

I so want Acker to come up big on defense ... then we can use him as an offense for defense rotation with Arroyo... otherwise he's stuck to the pines (if he makes the squad) with A.J. ...Darko's laughing to himself right now.
  17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. Each NBA team needs their own DL team and the players on that team shouldn't count against the roster spots for the parent team unless they are called up.

That would allow for each NBA team to hire their own coaches and control every aspect of their team, from playing time to strategies.
  18. max

max All-Star

Alex Acker

I would vote for Acker. Based on what I saw last game Acker could be that 3rd guard we have been looking for.

Plus he can shoot. Dumars thinks he can be another Alan Houston type of 3-pt shooter. Thats just what we need from the bench. Plus Acker can pass ( had 9 assists ) and is solid enough to learn how to play defense.

I would not be surprised if Acker overtakes Arroyo sometime mid-season.
  19. Darth Tater

I agree too. The whole thing stinks of politics.

I don't think the NBA would allow teams to stockpile players though. I think that's why they limit the rosters at 15.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Article on Pistons at RealGM

They referred to the "uncertain" status of Hunter. Hey, Dupree might not play if we keep him and Hunter retires. But then again nothing wrong with depth, especially if its already paid for. Also important is that if we carry Dupree until trade deadline time he is one more tradeable contract.