Acker will try to make the Pistons team

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, Jul 12, 2008.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think Bonzi and Sheed would end up whipping basketballs at Chieck Samb during practice.
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...So are we saying that we are content with Walter Herrmann as the back-up SF?

I'm cool with that for now if everyone else is. I've always stated that he should at least get a shot at the job.

If lee is right and Walt can't get the job done though, are we comfortable with:
    1. Arron Afflalo as our back-up 3?
    2. Amir Johnson?
    3. Small ball (3 guard lineup?)
    4. Tay playing 40 minutes a night?
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The beauty is that we have few weaknesses. The main two are that the 5 spot is filled by big 4's and the backup 3 is still a mystery.

It's not that we don't have a backup 3, it's that we don't know if the guys we have will be successful. Since we are a lock to make the playoffs and will almost certainly be in the top half of the bracket, then I would say that we can use the first half of the season to figure out if the current personel is worthy. Herrmann might be the man. Sharpe could be satisfactory as a backup.

But overall, Tay is the youngest of our starters from last year and is by far the most durable. If we had to have a weak bench in any one position, this would be the one that I would choose. Also, there will be many situations where we can go small or big to avoid having to back Tay up. In the smallball case it could be Rip or Afflalo. In the bigball combo it could be Amir or Maxiell.

Also, we could package some bench players for a proven veteran role player for the backup 3 later in the season if it proves to be necessary.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That McConduit thing cracks me up every time I read it. Whoever came up with that is a genius.
  5. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Exactly. Our lineup this year becomes very versatile depending on matchups. Now it is just a matter of MC playing the guys that are playing well WHEN they are playing well. If something isn't working he can adjust accordingly with personnel.

If we find that we are severely lacking in some aspect of the team after the first half; we have the peices to make a move.

There must be SOME reason that Bozo STILL isn't signed????
  6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9926

Yet when it comes to Wells, his track record precedes him. The spotty resume obviously doesn't sit well with some front offices around the league leaving some hesitant to inquire about his services. Bonzi's run-ins with fans, players, a handful of head coaches (see Mike Dunleavy, Mike Fratello and Jeff Van Gundy) and the media alike are well documented. It's no wonder Wells ranked seventh among the "most hated athletes" according to GQ.com two years ago.

That sort of stigma is hard to shake.

As one source familiar with Wells' situation told HOOPSWORLD, Bonzi "can only help certain teams, almost strictly off the bench." The source then went on to describe Wells as, "kind of a one-trick pony", who "tends to get out of shape pretty fast."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doesn't seem like the player alot of you are saying he is anymore... and almost all of our players are many trick ponies at this point, I'd rather risk the money on an unknown with the depth we have
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

My laughter just disturbed a lot of co-workers reading this.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, I considered this as well...

This is exactly the reason that IMO Joe shoulda left the 15th spot open for future consideration rather than signing Alex Acker. Keep an open roster spot to pick up a solid citizen like Bonzi Wells or Latrell Sprewell to back up Prince. :stirthepot:

...I'm rooting for Walt (Sharpe or Herrmann).
  9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The Waltz??