Acker's contract guaranteed

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Warthog, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

In case anyone missed it from the DetNews article today, Acker's contract has been guaranteed for the rest of the season ($398,076).
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

It'd be nice to see him play a bit. Flip's bench management sux far worse than LB's.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's not much of a confidence vote. So what does it mean?
  4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

You're high. I'll take Flip's 9 man rotation of guys getting 10-20 minutes per game over LB's 7 man rotation any day of the week.
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Compare starter minutes...then come talk to me.
  6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

starters are playing few minutes than last year
  7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Starter mintues vs. bench minutes

I'll settle this debate: Both LB and Flip sucked as far as utilizing the bench. But is this a bench that should be utilized that much? I still think a trade is needed. The starters are playing too many minutes under Flip and LB. Check out the starter's minutes for SA last night:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2006010721
  8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Was there any real doubt he would be guaranteed? They dumped a perfectly good player to keep him. I'd like some report on how they are doing. I'd also not like it to be a comment from Flip or Joe but one of the beat guys or ASB or something.

I like to watch Joe in action but I don't put a lot of stock in what gets quoted from him.
  9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: Starter mintues vs. bench minutes

I think Pop is the best coach in the league right now.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

yes there was

There be rookie haters lurking about. Lots of people of the opinion Acker would not play, and would not stick around to get a guaranteed contract.

Who knows, maybe, and this is just a thought, Acker was in jeopardy of losing his spot. But as Evans is turning out not to fit our team as a backup shooting guard, well, just maybe they are looking at Acker now.

Last we heard, they were trying to make Acker into a backup point, despite him being naturally a shooting guard.

But hey, things change. Lets look at the advantages in using Acker over Evans. Evans can shoot from the outside, but has shown limited ability to score otherwise except for dunking the ball. Acker can score from anywhere in the gym. Good strong finisher.

Evans has shown no ball handling skills. Acker has shown a lot, which is why the try to make him a point guard.

Evans has shown no ability to learn defensive rotations. Acker showed quite a knack for this in the little we have seen from him.

Evans and Acker are both quite athletic. But Acker has shown basically a lot of skill to go with his.

Acker has a freakishly long 7-0 wing span. Shooting over him is no easy task. That in itself is going to make Acker a much more effective defender vs. Evans.

Evans can't stay with guards at all. Acker is quicker. He still does not look to good at denying dribble penetration, but then again, that takes some experience. Worth giving the kid a try. He is a four year college player. Plenty ready to get his chance in my opinion.
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Exactly right... at what point does the bench have to be accountable for their own PT... the only one not getting a shot to prove their worth is DMC.
    Soooo where's the improved production to warrant more PT?

You can believe the coach is to blame and the bench players only should outplay the opponents bench when their horriscope says so...
    or you could believe McClueless (McCoskey) who says the bench is just fine.
    You could believe the players who are mearly trying to boost the bench's confidence.
    Or you could chose not to listen to the talking heads and believe your own eyes...
    As a group they are not playing as well as the oppositions bench on most nights.
    We have one consistent player on the bench... that's it... the rest is a crap shoot.
    We hear how one player (Evans) is corrupting the whole bench.
    We hear that Delfino is doing fine and deserves more PT... based on what evidence?
    Cedar point should add a new rollercoaster ... and call it "The Arroyo".

I would be willing to bet that our bench production is in the bottom 10% (using the dreaded 48 minutes)

If this GROUP does not improve within a month we should expect a change.... even with the stellar record it's a substantial risk going into the playoffs losing the bench battle on a regular basis.

Would you feel comfortable having Evans, Arroyo or Delfino filling in as a starter if one of the big five went down?

Oh yeah, congradulations what's-his-name for getting his contract extended.
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Does anyone have statistics that shows our starters are playing more than any other playoff contending team's starters???
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i could check that but instead i'll quickly check the minutes this year compared to last year for just the pistons:

this year:

chauncey - 35.8
    rip - 36.8
    tay - 36.8
    sheed - 34.7
    ben - 36.7

last year:

chauncey - 35.8
    rip - 38.5
    tay - 37.1
    sheed - 34.0
    ben - 36.1

more or less minutes this year:

chauncey +0
    rip -1.7
    tay -0.3
    sheed +.7
    ben +.6

hmmm actually about the same...total them up and it's -1.3 minutes across all 5 players (1 minute 18 seconds)