Adv. League 07-08 Banter

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by MotownPride, Oct 8, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

That would be rough going 1-8.

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ah, it's not so bad once you get used to it like I have. :hanged2:

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm still hurting from my 1-8, 2-7 start. With standings separated by 1 or 2 games, that makes a big difference.

4. max

max All-Star

We both started out hurting. What some of you are experiencing now with injuries and whatnot, others of us had to deal with earlier on.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Indeed.

Just for sh**s and giggles, let's look at the race going into this week with two weeks left. Only 6 teams of 16 get in...4 good managers are going to be left out. Possibly the two time defending champ #1 P fan. Wart & Jammer , two other very good managers are already probably out in all likelihood.

Winless O
    Dre .5
    Tater 5.5
    Max 6.5
    Shark 7
    Ralph 9.5
    Slip 11.5
    Webz 12
    Motown 14
    #1Pfan 15

Now, keep in mind anything can and has happened. Already there are some strange starts this week. But on paper...

Winless and Dre are pretty much the only teams we know are going to the Dance for sure based on their leads. Dre has his hands full with Tater and then he gets to play Pastor (I doubt I'll set my lineup this week). Winless faces Motown fighting for his pride and Wart...another team who may be on the wrong end. This could go either way.

The fight here is for first place.That being said, while the bye DOES matter, we won't know who has the tougher bracket until we see who fills out the other seeds.

Tater's in good shape...but wait...look at the schedule. Dre & Webz. Two great teams who present matchup hell for Tater. I Could be on the wrong end of blowouts. I'm just hoping to keep those close and go to the dance. I've got 6 games on the 7th place team so there is a bit of cushion. A bit.

Max.This team has been on fire. Came back from the dead like Tater and Slippy. A Phoenix rising from the ashes.Tough schedule too. Jammer and #1 P fan. He's in 4th place so a few teams need to pass him.

Shark. A former power. Yao where are you? Well, at least GWall is back. Shark has plummeted, but a potentially easy last game really boosts him. Wait...if Low sets his lineup look out...Shark won't feast and could miss the dance. If two teams pass him...

Ralph. He attributes his fortune to his recent acquisition of Darko, but last weeks 8-1 blowout against Shark was huge for Ralph. Slippy is right on his tail though.

Slippy. Did anyone notice that this guy changed his name to a Slippy name and not a Tater name as soon as he got good this week. So everyone thought I was the one doing crappy. What a chump! His team, when healthy, like now is dangerous. Stupidly, I always root for him though. He's only 2 games behind the last playoff spot. Loanshark and 16 mile. They could give himm trouble...or not.

Webz. Finishes with Tater then Wart. Will Webz actually not get in? Hard to imagine. He took a chance on getting Arenas when Jammer dropped him. At the time it looked like he could afford it. Will it cost him a chance to win? If he gets in and Arenas plays, He's going to be VERY tough. I tried to grab Arenas when I sucked but Webz had a higher priority by one. Did that save my season? I keep thinking Webz will find a way...but I thought that for myself in hockey this year too. Just missed.

Motown. My first pal on the forum and the man who taught me the ropes of fantasy basketball. Mr. Trash talker himself. He has Winless and Jammer remaining and lots of teams to pass. I'm thinking not this year my good friend. I'd now like to officially return your "Welcome to the big leagues", comment. (I may end up eating them).:MusicBigGrin:

#1Pfan. This guy had a super easy schedule. Played Low, Himat, and 16 mile twice. Those guys usually don't even set their lineups. Will Low give him a free pass and allow him to storm back in? Who knows. If not, don't be surprised if he tries to sell you a bridge to improve his team. He just may. He got Kobe from Himat for a wounded Wade. I'm still scratching my head over how Himat makes a trade but doesn't set his lineup. If Brand comes back he #1 could still win this thing.

Anything can happen and some of these underdogs could come up big as spoilers. We will see. I'd like to say it's been a fun season, but I can't. I will say it's been a challenge with so many teams. My goal at the outset was to remain competitive. I was. Now, I'd really like to make it to the dance. Winning a round is the furthest thing from my mind.

Well, that's all folks. I honestly believe at least 9 of the teams still have a chance. It's been that crazy.

Oh, and if I've offended anyone...uhmm..well...too bad. That was not my intent. I just speak my mind and was trying to give a run down of the playoff race from my perspective.

Peace.

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Great job Mashed man! I need big wins to get in but my guys are gonna fall short. I'm going to overplay my starters and talk about how you need to earn it to play with the big boys.

7. max

max All-Star

Only the 1st 6 get in? I was hoping it was 8.

Anything can happen. I am very much vulnerable.

Note out to Himat and Low. I just set my linups for the rest of the week, only took a couple of mins.

BTW - thanks for the writeup.

8. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice preview Tater.

I'm in deep trouble and I'm not very optimistic about making the playoffs. Next week the 4 guys ahead of me in the standings all play teams 10th or worse, while I get yes... Tater. Bad thing is, my strong cats are your strong cats as well. My destiny is in your hands, can you go on a vacation or something. :)

I've had to resort to plugging my lineup with waiver guys all this week, firstly to give myself a chance, but secondly because Warthog had like 9 or 10 extra games on me or something ridiculous! Even after all these extra pickups I'll be lucky to match him for games played this week.

I need at least a 7-2 to have a crack next week and even then I'll need a 6-3 or something against you Tater. Not good.

I wouldn't put it all on my Arenas stashing. I did lose Marbury and Nene to season ending injuries, then my hot waiver pickup last week Marcus Banks goes down when primed to smoke it. You're right about #1's schedule, that would have been nice to have. But enough excuses, we'll see what happens. At least I'll win the most moves trophy.

Props to the guys who have fought back this season - Max, Slippy and Tater. Outstanding work.

I think this is where I'd like to play in a 2nd league. 1 just isn't enough (scrubs league excluded)

I'm thinking we should organise a keeper league for next season.

9. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

My team has picked the wrong time to not play well. The last two weeks have not been pretty and this week is starting out the same way. It is going to be a fight to keep my 1 seed.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good write up Tater...I am looking to take over the number one spot this weekend despite having my hands full with your team...

11. max

max All-Star

How does a keeper league work? Do you keep going with the same team and draft placement depends on record as in the real game? I may be open to that but only if the no teams were cut down from 16. Even 14 I think I could live with.

12. webz

I've never done one myself, maybe someone out there has and could lend some insight, but the gist of it is the league continues year after year and you get to keep a number of players from the year before. What that is set at is open to interpretation but I think its usually between 2-4 players. Then the draft order would be the reverse of the finishing positions from the year before. Which 2 or 3 players you choose to carry over is one of the best things about it, because you have to make decisions that affect your team in years to come. Do you keep a young guy who will be a stud in a couple of years or a guy who will produce for you now? eg. Bynum or Gasol? Durant or Ray Allen? That kind of thing.

I was thinking about a keeper league as well because most of the same guys play here every year, it seems like a logical thing to do. We could still play in the yearly leagues as well. Just seems like another cool thing to be a part of. Something to discuss in the off-season anyhow.

13. max

max All-Star

Sounds good. Like you said we can pick this up over the summer and see what it takes to get it going. We have been doing the adv league for what 3 years now? I have played for the last 2 so we know the type of guys that will stick with it.

14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd be down for a keeper league. I've never been in one before and am curious to try one out.

If we were playing in a keeper league, there's no way I'd have dropped Arenas! :gun1:

15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

that keeper league concept sounds really good- count me in as well!

16. Winless Wonders

A keeper league sounds good to me as well. I think you get a better understanding of the game and learn how to be a real GM. If you suck like Millen then your team will never be decent and always in the lottery while the good GM's will be in the thick of things every year. I think a keeper league makes trades of franchise players more important.

17. webz

Only a major miracle can help me into the Playoffs now. I'm only a couple of games back but considering the 3 teams ahead of me play the bottom 3 teams in the league this week, its near an impossibility.

I'm still at a loss as to what exactly went wrong but its probably a number of things. I guess I'll just focus on the sleeper league now.

It would be funny to face Motown in the Consolation bracket final. Actually, no, it wouldn't... :gun1:

18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, this is crazy. It ticks me off to no end that some teams (through luck and no fault of their own) got to play the no lineup setters (who did this through TOTAL fault of their own) at least twice. They will slide in while I'm in 3rd place and could still get knocked out (although unlikely) because others behind me get a free ride. You're screwed for sure, Webz. Those teams ahead of you will all win at least 7-2. Even if you beat me 9-0 you won't pass them.

F*** you guys who say you forgot or just gave up. You ruined it for lots of people who tried really hard and tried to have fun. You let us all down and all you cared about was yourselves. GROW UP. Yeah, it's only a game. Thanks for spoiling it. Selfish Jerks!!! I expect that kind of crap from a public league.

19. Winless Wonders

Not much to say after that. Ditto :yellowprison:

20. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

That is absolutely horrible!!! This is advanced league. Anyone who didn't set their lineups had no excuse at all. They could have been in novice "learning" how to set their lineups. I would be furious too. I mean how lame do you have to be to play in Advanced and then do the MOST irresponsible thing you can do in a Fantasy League. Hell, I'm in last place in Novice but I set my lineups religiously. I have a role in my league to fulfill even if it isn't winning. I think next year, no Advanced for those non line-up setters.

Really, beyond the pale.