Adv. League 07-08 Banter

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by MotownPride, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i've admittedly missed my lineups, but only 2 days for the whole season. i know for sure i wasn't as active on the waiver wire/free agent pickups and that probably cost me a little during the season, but i built a team meant to win 5-4 every week and got caught on the short end of a 4-5 stick more often than not. i thought that'd be a great strategy but this league has been so difficult and competitive that apparently it was the wrong approach.

sorry webz that you only won 5-4 last week against me, but playing spoiler is fun :) i thought it was going to kill you from how the week was going early on. now it's time to knock winless out of 1st place!
  2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah its annoying but I've still learnt a lot of things from this season so it won't be a complete waste.
    I'm sure Motown would agree that the screening process should be a lot tougher for next season. 16 teams was something different to participate in, but ideally 12 would be the number for next season.

You could almost set it up like soccer where the bottom 3 or 4 teams get relegated back to Novice and the top 3 or 4 from Novice get promoted to Advanced. That way you would have to prove yourself with winning and dedication to get entry to the league.

I'll throw my hat out there to help organise this keeper league for next season as well, but that's a long off yet.
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with this. (although, it would mean that I'd be demoted next season);)

Four might be a bit much, IMO. I'd say 2-3 would be a good # to demote/promote each season.

I'd also add that perhaps anyone deemed to have "quit" would not be permitted to join the league (ideally any league) for the next season.

For me, it's as much about having fun as it is winning (don't get me wrong, I enjoy winning). People quitting really ruins both for me.

I've had some really crappy seasons in my fantasy sports "career". But I've never quit.
  4. max

max All-Star

I agree, its not fair to the rest of us . I can't see how someone can be so busy that they cannot take 5 min out of their week to set their lineups.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I sometimes set mine lineups 2 weeks in advance and then of course I may need to reset if I pickup a free agent. But I still check everydiay just in case someone is injured and I need to make a roster change...I just can't seem to wrestle that # 1 spot back from Winless.... Kaman has not played since March 1st, and now I hear on the Clippers broadcast tonight that my leading rebounder and shot blocker may be out another 2 weeks. I wish they would just shut him down, but they said that they want him to be available to play a few games with Brand. So I have to suffer a non-productive roster spot because he may help me the last 2 weeks of the season and I am not going to waive him and someone else picks him up.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

my team totally choked. Gasol goes down at THE wrong time. plus, we needed good shooting to steal a cat from loneshark. as it is, only a miracle would get us in the great square dance.
  7. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

I agree...bunch of marks
  8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Sorry I'm late. Too busy, sulking. lol.

Excellent job Tater.

Just to cosign...

Quitters suck. Quitters suck.

"Welcome to the big leagues"

lmao. I deserved that one. ;)

NIT is mine.
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Very strange season.

A couple of games left tonight in the fantasy regular season and depending how things shake out, I could land anywhere from 3rd place(just missing a bye):MusicBigGrin: to 7th place (and out of the playoffs).:yellowprison:
  10. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It would take an 1-8 result for you to miss the playoffs. Ain't gonna happen. Oh, and what perfect timing for Arenas to return this week. Thanks buddy.
  11. Darth Tater

I considered sitting my guys today figuring I would win threes and turnovers for sure & make the playoffs. But I played them and so far it looks like a good move. I'm still hoping for blocks and to hang on in the fg% cat. Points will be a long shot, especially if Arenas plays. Unless Jamison turns it over more than 6 times I'll be ok for sure.

If I can just lose no worse than 4-5, I should probably be able to get 4th or 5th. Which likely would put me against Max. A toughie.

In all honesty, of course, winning a round in the playoffs would be nice, but considering all the excellent managers that will be missing out, I'll truly feel content and fortunate just to get in!!!
  12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

the season ends pretty calm for my sqad. I really don't want to face Max and his on fire- Stoudamire too early. I'm still curious about who will make the 6th seed and head into the playoffs. I can't see a favourite for the ship, especially since Winless and Dre both struggled recently.
    The playoff race will be very, very exciting!
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am struggling because my leading rebounder and shot blocker Chris Kaman took the month off. I called Clipper Coach Mike Dunleavy and he will keep him on the bench one more week and he will be ready next Monday just in time for my playoff run. Zeke sat my second leading rebounder ZachRan the last couple of games experimenting with Randolph Morris. Hopefully he will back by then to provide some inside muscle. I am not ready concede yet. :sssh:
  14. Darth Tater

We'll see if you really do have a Cinderella team once you start facing teams that actually set their lineups for a change.:pound:

I'm thinking there is only one team in the playoffs that wouldn't give me too much trouble on most weeks, while the other four I could get beaten by or beat on any given week.

On paper, I like Dre's team, but it's anyones trophy. The teams with a bye have a huge advantage to begin with, obviously...but that disappears after week one of the playoffs.
  15. Darth Tater

16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

what are you trying to say? The only reason I faced weak teams at the end of the regular season was because I faced the better ones earlier, that's the way you should see it. Everyone has faced the non- lineup- setters, so I don't see this huge inequality you are trying to create.
  17. Darth Tater

Not true.

For example, you got himat this week. result..an "automatic" 8-1 win. It's your 2nd time playing him.

I only got himat once. I got Webz this week who I played twice. . I'm struggling to keep it close. I'm up 5-4 this moment, but he'll beat me.

If you played webz this week, as of this moment...you lose to him 2-7. So basically, you got 6 free wins. That's huge. Take away those wins and where are you? I didn't get any non- lineup setters twice.

Yeah, it's a big difference. A huge inequality. I'm not blaming you for getting a break in the schedule. I wish I had it. But don't act like it isn't there.
  18. TWOTIMESRALPHI

ok, my bad, I had the idealistic view that every team faces every other one equitable times.
    So I assume my team is the one you think yours wouldn't have any problems with in the playoffs?
  19. Darth Tater

I'm not saying. It's all about match ups and who has players out in real life. My intent was not to slam anyone, and I also wasn't suggesting that your team was undeserving.

Particular teams, like Webz and Dre present matchup hell for me. I'm sure there are teams that you match up better against too.It all depends on your teams strengths and weaknesses.
  20. TWOTIMESRALPHI

as you said, webz would lead 7-2 against me this far (thanks to injured Marion and Wilcox)- so I guess he presents matchup hell for me as well.
    I have to admit it made it easier for me to trade CP3 for Marion knowing that I wouldn't have to face the points, FG%, FT%, steals and assists- monster Paul again in the regular season.