Advanced - Fantasy Basketball 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by MotownPride, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

@Sprockets,

Yes, if you were wondering, I did not set my lineup intentionally and benched my 9 or 10 guys today. I've been blessed with a lack of injuries this week, but I was hammered badly this week and had about 5 guys miss the entire week.

I figured I had everything sewn up that I could possibly win, as did you. But turnovers were up for grabs. I figured I would just take those and the 4-5 loss rather than chance a 3-6 in order to attempt a remote victory. But Im guessing you knew that. In fact, I thought I might have a miniscule shot at FG% if I got lucky. I also wanted to hold FT%.

I feel pretty glad I avoided a bad loss during a week where I was low on guys and where there was lots of carnage in some other matches. This could be a wild finish with Motown and a couple of others storming back to the party! :)

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

8-1 would have been amazing, but 7-2 against the first place team works just fine! Big matchup next week. All-Star weeks are always tricky..

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

this whole league is entirely unpredictable, with no real dominant force emerging. Lovin' it!

4. Darth Tater

I agree with just a couple of exceptions:

The Lebron's look powerful and consistent ever since "The Decision 2"

Bill Lamebroken is going to be healthy soon. He gets his 5 categories even while missing a handful of players so look out.

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was thinking you might do that, but you hadn't the last time I checked and then I got tied up and forgot that the early games would lock things up. Good job.

6. Darth Tater

I was just trying to stay alive to fight another day. You still kicked my butt anyhow! Pfffft...

7. dba

The Sprockets are struggling this year. Verajao brought all sorts of good locker room karma (no one understood him, but it sounded important) and the team has never quite recovered from his loss. I'm finally getting the point guard thing rolling, so maybe they can hang on to the last playoff spot of maybe move up one.

roscoe36 likes this.
  8. Darth Tater

I hate these short weeks. I've got about half the players my opponent has plus my guys are playing terrible. I could get goose egged. An entire season of doing things right goes down the drain over these weird circumstances Oh well...that's how fantasy sports can go sometimes. :)

9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Decided to sit Durant tonight. I wonder how many fantasy owners have ever done that...? lol

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Only one (Drath Tater) that I can think of.

11. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

well, there was absolutely no point playing him (although I really hoped you would play him and he'd have a lousy FG and FT% since these categories were pretty darn close between us, with you winning 0.3 and 0.1% respectively)

12. MotownPride

Man, can I relate!

13. dba

I kind of like the way it turned out. Dre, not so much.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

14. MotownPride

Some of the trades in this league, I just don't get. lol.

Melo and Dirk are the best two players in that trade for the past 30 days. Dirk has been coming on as of late (finally healing I guess). All three players have t0p 10 potential though. That being said, even a two for two trade would make sense. Why three stars for two stars? The rankings just don't matchup for season, 30 days, 14 days or even 7 day rankings.

15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Roiding... :stirthepot:

16. BillLaimbeer

Not sure what rankings you are looking at. Kobe is #4 in the entire NBA for the season. Lilliard is #35 in the league.

Carmello, Williams, and Dirk are #18, #43, and #217 for the year. Dirk has been hurt and Williams is currently hurt.

You don't get stats for potential. Of course, if you and a couple of others feel the trade is not fair, you simply vote against it and the trade is vetoed.

17. MotownPride

I'll break it down for you. lol. Your stats must be coming from totals, which isn't a clear view of what someone does on a nightly basis especially if a player doesn't have as many games due to injury. To get a true sense of what you are getting in a trade you need to look at averages.

Kobe Bryant based on averages for the season is ranked #7 (Melo is ranked #9!!!!!).

But we aren't talking about that same Kobe any more. Present day Kobe has decided he is going to stop scoring and pass the ball around because his team wasn't winning. How did this affect him fantasy wise? For the past month he is ranked #47. For the past 14 days he is ranked #60. And last week he was ranked #147. He is trending down.

Now Dirk has been hurt and you are right, his stats reflect that. That's why when making a trade one should take that into consideration and not evaluate him based on his overall performance but instead on how he has been playing since he has got back in shape and got his legs back. Dirk is ranked #81 for the season. However, in the past month his ranking has moved to #41. In the past 14 days he is ranked #21 and last week he shot up to #6! That would be an example of trending up.

So yes, if you simply look at totals maybe this deal isn't so horrible, but if you look at actual performance the past 30 days and the projected value of the players this is highway robbery. The only way this deal makes sense is if you go back into a time machine and ignore the last month. In that universe, Dirk is still playing into shape and Kobe is leading the league in scoring while the Lakers can't salvage a win.

That said...

Carmelo has the best playoff schedule in the league and Deron Williams is a buy low candidate as he is just starting to play well again too after being hurt most of the season.

Our current leading candidate for rookie of the year is having a great season, but he also fights with the rookie wall that slows down stats. So this is likely a sell high situation for him as well.

So to summarize, three first round drafted players who are trending up are being traded for one first rounder and one high performing rookie that are trending down. Had this been a two for two swap, I would have totally got it. But it wasn't, so I see this as being massively lopsided.

Just my two cents. The trade will likely go through, but hopefully this helps those GMs who are accepting trades and have not considered some of the factors that contribute to true market fantasy value.

18. BillLaimbeer

Many of your points are valid. Who is going to hit a wall, stay healthy, get hot, etc. the second half of the season, no one really knows.

With All-Star weekend, no team has played the last 4 days. If you are looking at 7-day average rankings, you are comparing players based on 1 or 2 games.

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Bill. Please allow me to summarize.

1) The 2 for 3 adding Nowitzki allows you to off Bynum for an instant major gain
    2) You often trade with your kid late in the season when one of you is out of the playoff picture

20. MotownPride

If this trade flies beneath the radar that simply means that this entire league is sleeping behind the wheel. That makes two times where ridiculousness has been allowed to reign supreme because people can't seem to find the veto button or care. Hello is anyone out there? lol.