1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Advanced League - News

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by MotownPride, Oct 22, 2005.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

anyone can be had...for a price. :eyebrows:

2. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Show me the money!! err stats!!! LOL!!! :eyebrows:

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You are slaying me Wonders

With only two days left I am ready concede defeat for my matchup with you. :doh: I had Barbosa on my watch list and you grabbed him before I did, so looks like you are one step ahead all the way around. :mad:

Good series for your squad!

4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Thanks!!

Your team is not bad you just need some beef on your front line really bad. You might have to trade one of your studs in a 2 for 1 deal to sure up your rebounding and FG %. Sometimes having 2 above average players is better than have one great one.

I have found out very quickly that you can't hesitate on FA's. I saw Barbosa out there and looked at my roster and identfied my weak link that was causing me points. I watched both players for one more game and then I made the move to get him. Jason Collins was killing me with his poor free throw shooting and FG% and with Barbosa the only thing I am losing is blocks which I think I can stand to give up if he improves my scoring, FG%, FT% REB, Assists and steals.

How can you be a 7ft Center and shoot the 30% FG and 40% from the FT.

5. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

ha, who has Barbosa now!!!

Not that he's tearing it up or anything, but getting steady minutes...

6. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Re: Advanced League Banter

Big Picture: Micro-Managing
    By Matt Buser
    April 6, 2006
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I still have a shot at winning some of my fantasy hoops leagues this year, and my thought processes are simple: what do I need to do to win, and who or what poses my biggest challenge to getting that done? Scout your team, those of your opponents, and the leagues standings very carefully over the next few days – there is still time for a run or hot steak that might affect the standings, and the standings don't really matter in any league until April 20.

Some Random Observations
    If you are participating in a rotisserie league, now is a good time to click the "Maximum Games Played" link located near the bottom-right of your team page if you haven't in a while. You are more than likely in single digits in the "Remaining" column for at least a few positions, as player rotations for various reasons throughout the season have left you a bit ahead of the pace. Including today (Thursday), there are 14 calendar days left in the NBA regular season. Take stock of what you have left to use and what players you have to use them – if executed correctly, you can maximize those remaining games by using only your best players where possible. For instance, if you have Yao Ming on your roster and only four games remaining at center, you will want Yao to use all four of those games and bench what is likely an inferior player currently manning the second center position. If you find yourself well behind the games played pace, however, then start rotating in your bench players to get as close to the maximums as possible by the end of the season.
    Also, regardless of how you stand in games played, take note of your league's complete standings and note your place in specific categories. If you are so far out in front in 3PTM that it is certain no one will catch you, you don't have to take that category into account when deciding your player rotations. Conversely, if you are six rebounds away from adding two points in that category, you will want to make sure you rotate in your high-rebound players (and perhaps make an add/drop to pick up more rebounds). With the end of the season so close, now is the time to get the most out of the squad that has brought you this far.
    Let's take a look at how many games teams have yet to be played this week, including today (Thursday), and in the championship week for head-to-head leagues. It's something certainly worth noting if you are still competing and planning to participate in the finals of the league championship, which runs from April 10 through April 19. Keep in mind that quantity can sometimes trump quality when it comes to head-to-head matchups.
    Team games remaining this week (Week 23, April 3 – April 9):
    [SIZE=+2]3[/SIZE] – Detroit, LA Lakers, Miami, New Jersey
    [SIZE=+2]2[/SIZE] – Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Dallas, Denver, Golden State, Houston, Indiana, LA Clippers, Memphis, Milwaukee, Minnesota, New Orleans/Oklahoma City, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, San Antonio, Seattle, Toronto, Utah, Washington
    [SIZE=+2]1[/SIZE] – Chicago, Cleveland
    Team games in Championship Week (Week 24, April 10 – April 19)
    [SIZE=+2]6[/SIZE] – Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Golden State, Indiana, LA Clippers, New Jersey, New Orleans/Oklahoma City, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, Utah, Washington
    [SIZE=+2]5[/SIZE] – Boston, Charlotte, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Memphis, Miami, Milwaukee, Minnesota, San Antonio
    [SIZE=+2]4[/SIZE] – LA Lakers, Sacramento
    Injury Report
    Al Harrington (F, Atlanta) – Harrington missed Wednesday's game with a strained pectoral muscle. "It's been bothering me for a while but it's worse now," said Harrington, adding that he didn't want to be on the court if he wasn't full strength. Wednesday was the second of back-to-back games, so that may have also contributed. He is day-to-day at this point, so look for a game-time decision on his status for Friday's game.

Chris Duhon (PG, Chicago) – Duhon is struggling with a disc problem in his lower back, going as far as to say that back-to-back games like the Bulls had the last two nights "kill him" according to the Chicago Sun-Times. He's averaged 7.3 points and 6.0 assists over the past three games. The Bulls play one game over the next five days, however, which could give Duhon time to rest up for the season's final games.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas (C, Cleveland) – Big Z missed Wednesday's game thanks to a left ankle sprain. The injury is not considered serious, however, and Ilgauskas could be available for the Cavs next game on Saturday. Anderson Varejeo started at center in his place, scoring four points and grabbing 12 boards in 27 minutes. Varejeo has averaged 8.0 points and 10.3 boards over his past four games and could be a decent source of boards if you need them.

Larry Hughes (SG, Cleveland) – Hughes returned to the Cavaliers' lineup on Tuesday and has totaled 17 points and 45 minutes in two games. He's also made six of 18 field goals (33 percent). Flip Murray owners should take note, because the Cavs will likely do their best to get Hughes back in the starting lineup as soon as he is able – his minutes will also come at the expense of Damon Jones and Eric Snow, but Murray's playing time is likely to suffer. Hughes won't be fantastic by any stretch considering he missed just over three months, but he may be available in your league and is likely better than your current worst player.

Rasheed Wallace (FC, Detroit) – Wallace missed Tuesday's game due to a mandatory one-game suspension for receiving his 16th technical foul of the season. He should be back in the Pistons' and your lineup for Thursday's action.

Baron Davis (PG, Golden State) – There have been no updates regarding Davis coming out of Golden State recently, a sure sign that he still isn't anywhere close to returning. If you've been waiting to cut him for some reason, you should wait no longer.

Tracy McGrady (SG, Houston) – McGrady joined the Rockets on their current road trip, but said that he will not play again this season according to the Houston Chronicle. Fantasy owners that mortgaged a first-round pick on him will be thrilled to know that he is currently pain-free and is really looking forward to getting going again … in June.

Cuttino Mobley (SG, LA Clippers) – Mobley came off of the bench on Wednesday and had his best offensive game since returning from a right ankle sprain. His 12 points was offset, however, by zero threes, assists, and steals in 29 minutes against the Suns. Mobley has been slow to round back into form, but the potential is there – unless you've got a clearly better option, get him back in the lineup.

Jake Tsakalidis (C, Memphis) – Tsakalidis returned Tuesday after missing two weeks with a sprained left thumb. He came off the bench, scoring 11 points, grabbing 11 boards, and blocking two shots in 23 minutes. Lorenzen Wright has been the starter recently and the two will likely be in a platoon situation for the rest of the season, with the hot hand seeing the most minutes and leaving both as marginal fantasy contributors.

Jason Williams (PG, Miami) – Williams has been shut down for the remainder of the regular season with tendonitis in his right knee. Heat coach Pat Riley wants Williams to rest and return for the first round of the playoffs. Gary Payton will start for the Heat, and should make his way onto fantasy rosters – he has averaged 11.8 points, 1.3 threes, 5.3 assists, and 1.1 steals in 18 starts so far this season.

P.J. Brown (FC, New Orleans/Oklahoma City) – Brown has missed the past four games with a left ankle sprain – the plan is for Brown to be back in the lineup on Friday, but nothing definitive will be known until game-time.

Stephon Marbury (PG, New York) – Marbury was evaluated by team doctors on Wednesday to determine if he will play again this season, according to the New York Post. The results are expected to be released today – Knicks coach Larry Brown has said that Steve Francis will finish the season as the team's point guard if Marbury does not return. Jamal Crawford could be the big winner, however, if Marbury is out – he scored a season-high 37 on Wednesday and has averaged 24.6 points and 43 minutes in the past three games.

Jalen Rose (GF, New York) – An MRI on Monday revealed tendonitis in Rose's right knee and a case of plantar fasciitis, making it safe to consider his season over. The jumbled rotation that still exists this late in the season in New York makes it practically impossible to name or recommend his replacement.

Amare Stoudemire (FC, Phoenix) – All together now … Amare Stoudemire won't play again this season. The suspense is over, but hopefully you dropped him well before this definitive information (finally) came out on Wednesday. Stoudemire had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee to clean out debris, but there is nothing structurally wrong with the knee according to Suns coach Mike D'Antoni.

Zach Randolph (PF, Portland) – Be prepared for sporadic production and uncertainty from Randolph over the season's final few weeks due to his sore right knee. He played just 14 minutes and asked not to return in the second half on Sunday, but played 44 minutes on Wednesday, scoring 17 points and grabbing eight boards. His positives were offset by 32 percent shooting and five turnovers, however.

Chris Bosh (FC, Toronto) – Bosh's season is over – his left thumb sprain was re-evaluated by team doctors on Wednesday, and their recommendation was to sit out the rest of the season instead of risking further injury. While it isn't likely that any Raptors outside of Charlie Villanueva, Mike James, and Morris Peterson will be a consistent help to your fantasy team, Matt Bonner would be worth a look if you are hurting for a center-eligible player. He has averaged 13.3 points, 2.7 threes, and 8.7 boards in 27 minutes over the past three games.

Motown Bonus Section:

News:
    W. Szczerbiak is out for the rest of the season

Mo's Advice:
    Pick up Tony Allen immediately! He has been a terror lately and the lost of Wally will likely spring board him into the starting lineup.

News:
    Ilgauskas will be out another game (Saturday) with an ankle sprain.

Mo's Advice:
    This is still not percieved to be a serious injury. Il-Nasty still has 6 games left during championship week. Worth standing pat. In the short term, look for Gooden to have a string of outstanding games.

News:
    Collison set to come back to Seattle today (Friday)

Mo's Advice:
    Don't expect much. There is room for some backup minutes spelling Swift and Wilcox, but I expect Collison to be eased into the lineup. Besides, it is very difficult to keep Wilcox off the floor. He has been outstanding!

News:
    Rashard Lewis will serve a supsension today (Friday) for reckless driving

Mo's Advice:
    Lewis is definitely healthy, just stupid. Don't drop him. The extra day of rest will do him so good for the playoff push.

Have fun and good luck!!!!