AI Benched! Rip To Start the Rest of the Season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mossberg, Feb 27, 2009.

1. max

max All-Star

I don't where you are going with this. Spurs are the conservative ones. They have kept the coach and core for years. Of course they got a couple of titles out of it.

There is no DNA. Only DNA is winning. If you win then you have good team DNA. What it is now anyway? A boring player who does not score much and never complains.

More changes needed to happen and I think they would have if not for these expiring contracts.

Just because nothing happened 2 years ago does not mean that Dumars did not try. He is the type of GM that will never volunteer the news that he failed.

yea its not just the local Detroit guys. Pistons have a losing record with AI and its something that is not going to go away. 4-12 with him starting and Rip coming off the bench. I heard something that we are something like 14-27 when both Rip and AI play.

Its something that the rest of the league is noticing.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Spurs are not at all conservative around their core.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, and Bowen have been there together since 2002.

They keep their core of humble team players who value defense and they rotate in and out guys like Stephen Jackson, Turgoglu, Finley, and underappreciated foreign players that they get through their scouting network and recruit from within the team.

If they didn't get so lucky by drafting TD, then none of this would be working. Well, not luck exactly. But if David Robinson wouldn't have been injured, then they would not have had that tanking year and they wouldn't have been in a position to draft #1.

So, I think the Spurs are what we could have been. SAS and DET know how to make the most of what they spend. The difference is that their #1 pick that fell into their lap panned out to be one of the best big men of all time and our #2 that fell into our lap turned out to be one of the top 1000 big men of all time (arguably).
  4. roscoe36

Yeah, but even Ginobili, Parker were draft reaches. At one point Parker was almost let go for JKidd.

My point is, they haven't just been lucky. They have been very good, and they are very aggressive. No way are they conservative. They have a core 3 or 4 guys and shuffle the deck aggressively around them to stay at the top of the game.
  5. max

max All-Star

They have a core of what 4 and we have a core of 5. Anyway. I don't know if SAS is the role to follow. Without Duncan they would be nothing and they got Duncan by tanking a season to get the #1 pick. Even if you do get a top 3 there are no gurantees. So I guess they just got lucky.
  6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Did they really tank, though? David Robinson played in like 3 games that year due to injuries, didn't he?
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

At the same time SA replaced Robinson with ease and moved on while DET has roled with a cadre of aging stiffs since Ben left.

They got Ginobli in the 2nd round with one of the last picks while the Pistons opted for the Sleepy, Trent Plaisted & Deron Washington pu pu platter this past year.

I often wonder what DET could be like if they kept LB as their coach this whole time.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Our core was in tact for about the same amount of time.

If we would have used their methodology, then how would we have behaved differently since 2002?

I feel like we've had more names come in and out of here than they have in San Antone.

Since 2003:
    Okur
    Corliss
    Cliffy
    Campbell
    Mike James b**ch
    Sura
    Rebraca
    Arroyo
    Dale Davis
    Delfino
    Delk
    Evans
    Nazr
    CWebb
    Arvis

Some good vets. Some great vets. Some foreigners. Some scoring threats.

How is this different than SAS?

I would argue that they should have probably played Stephen Jackson more the first year they had him. He didn't even dress most games. Then the next year, he played a ton and helped them get a title. He was sort of their Tay in that respect. Except they let him go in FA.

They should have probably re-signed Turkoglu too.
  9. roscoe36

They don't keep anyone who can't defend.
  10. max

max All-Star

Yes. Just like Dwane Wade was hurt all last year and Paul Pierce the year before that.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Is that a good strategy to copy? Let's write it down and remember it.

But the Magi are playing better defense than the Spurs this year with Turk as a major part of it.
  12. coynejeremy

[​IMG]
  13. roscoe36

Yeah we should write it down. Signing Nazr when the Spurs dropped him for Oberto, who makes Jeff Foster look like an All-Star.

I'm just tired of the Kwames, the Tazrs, the Nazrs and the Rattlerz.
  14. max

max All-Star

Know what you mean. I am just tired of all the hype.

Kwame = the guy who is going to resurect his career here.
    Nazr = the guy who was going to make us all forget Ben Wallace.
    Tazr = only guy who can stop Shaq. Actually I liked Campbell - could have used a guy like that in his prime.
  15. coynejeremy

Tazr was Dale Davis, not Elden, right? I liked Dale, though. That was one guy who provided spark and saavy off the bench. He knew what he was doing and didn't back down. I remember the Cleveland series 2 years ago when we brought him in and I was eating up his great veteran game IQ, getting close to the basket, knowing how to ease away from his defender just enough to catch the entry pass and put up the easy layup. Why we didn't use him more I'll never know.
  16. roscoe36

Why we didn't use Tazr? That's a good question. He rubbed someone the wrong way, and he rode the pine hard.

He and Maxiell formed the something something. I forget. Rip gave them an unattractive nickname, and the Palace quickly did all they could to keep it from catching on.
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

Thanks. It's like on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember. I won't sleep tonight :frusty:
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Goon Squad!

corrected..
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Thanks TaS :sleep:
  20. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

A lot of time, bad feelings, lost games were needlessly endured because AI did not go to the 2nd unit instead of Rip. Joe and Curry should have had the guts to send AI to the bench. Now it seems as though AI is the problem which is true. AI's game is not suited to the starters. If he would have gone to the bench immediately it would have been because it was a good basketball move and good for the team. Now it is a mess.