AI Benched! Rip To Start the Rest of the Season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mossberg, Feb 27, 2009.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

The organization, JD, Curry, and the local Media are desperate. Diversion is the flavor of the week or who might be on first, since there is no second.

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

First of all i wasn't even responding to you. Second, you probably don't even know what the point was. The way the post was phrased sounded like a response. That's all i was saying again not to you.

And if you feel that way, you're entitled to your opinion but i don't even think you read my posts in the first place so whatever. Next time maybe you should try replying to someone who's actually talking to you.

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is a discussion board, not an email exchange or a personal conversation. It's public. You can't post on here and complain when people respond to you.

I have been in this forum for years and I read almost every single post.

Sorry that my post was a bit heated. I'm usually pretty laid back. But it kind of bugs me when you get after people for perceived slights to your favorite players, and when they defend themselves, claim that they just "missed the point". It's a smokescreen. Just realize that you have biases like everyone else (including me) and that it might sometimes cloud your judgment, and let's all just be friends.

4. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

Oh the irony

:ner-ner:

5. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

[​IMG]

Can't we all get along??

7. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

lol im just playing around lp

8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm still curious if that win against Orl shows how bad AI is for the team. Maybe he's the perfect sixth man and suddenly the Pistons become champs in a Cinderella- story only because they benched AI

9. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Well, I just want to say that I'm officially distraught about this situation. The personal basketball fan dream of my favorite player on my favorite team has turned into a media soap opera, a forum conflict to varying degrees and most importantly to me, a double bind (psych term folks) where I want the best for the Pistons and I want the best for Allen Iverson.

Last thing I thought of when I went to bed last night, first thing I though of in the morning. Now some of you can say "get a life, aurora" but following the Pistons has probably been the most consistent, dependable and structural interest and activity in my life for a while. It's my thing, what can I say?

I sure do hate to see a scenario where the worst thing that ever happened to Allen Iverson's career was getting traded to the Pistons. For this, I could never forgive Joe and I'd have a hard time staying true. The Pistons might become a habit I have to break, or taper myself off of, like a bad addiction.

Perhaps it will all turn out. Perhaps Allen will try to come off the bench. Perhaps the Pistons will buy him out and he can go to a team I can follow avidly, like I followed the Bulls when Ben left. But one thing's for sure. If Allen Iverson is sitting at the end of our bench in a suit (of sorts) for the rest of the season, I'm asking for a divorce from the Pistons organization. I realize that would be his choice, just like leaving was Ben's, but when leaving is the only option you have, it doesn't feel like choice. Allen didn't ask to come here. We should have kept faith with him, or never moved him. Oh yeah the expiring contract. Good business decision, horrible karma Joe.

Besides how does this look to the rest of the league? Hey Bosh, Amare we'd like to get you in 2010 but we'll make you the sixth man if you don't gel with our 2nd year coach, our aging vets (whose feelings can't be hurt by losing pt) and our all SG backcourt. Whaddya think? Oh and don't forget our owner who doesn't like to spend money. What is Wesley going to think? Bad karma all around, and I hope Iverson emerges less scathed than he is now.

I think I have most of the more committed Allen Iverson "dislikers" on ignore now for my own emotional protection and self-containment on the forum here. Trying to be a good camper. Nothing against anyone personally, but I just want to state my feeling about this without incurring wrath or also adding fuel to the fire.

We all have our Achille's heels in fandom. Mine are Big Ben Wallace and Allen Iverson. Very sad to hear about Ben's broken leg, as he won't have many more chances to earn a ring and I know he'd rather earn it playing his game than sitting in a suit at the end of the bench. God, please don't let both my guys be sitting at the end of the bench in a suit the rest of the season. :gaah:Have mercy on my tender fan sensibilities.

Go Pistons. I'm hanging by a thread, but I'm still hanging tough. Sheed helps.

10. max

max All-Star

Thing is no one in the Pistons org has actually come out and said anything bad about AI yet. Its tough when you are losing - things get magnified. We were 4-12 with Rip coming off the bench.

11. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Well, I don't know. It's not like that organization functions very directly. They have all their mouthpieces working for them with every article. I understand we were losing. And we're all very unhappy about that. I just think that AI seems to have been caught in the transition between a "pretend contender" year and a "rebuilding year." How anyone could think that we could contend with a rookie coach is beyond me, no matter how talented someone (Joe) may have thought he was. And time always tells. It's still too early in a way to know about this constellation of players, but it's not too early to say that Michael Curry has been a horrible coach his rookie season. If you take that factor alone, how many losses does it account for? Is that unusual? Probably not. Back to Joe we go.

12. max

max All-Star

I would not go by what det or freep prints as to what the org is thinking and any direct ties is pure speculation. Besides they have written plenty of damaging articles in the past. McKosky blasted Dumars in his 1st year when the team finished 32-50. Guess I am willing to give the local beat writers more credit than that. They are fans like we are and no one is happy with all this losing.

Mat Dery and the other guys who does the pre and post game on the local Pistons flag ship station will give you a good read on what the Pistons brass is thinking. They are always backing the franchise on the all the controversial decisions. LB, Big Ben, ..
    I have not listened to them lately so I can't tell you what they have been saying. But thats what I would go by rather than the news papers. Besides at this point the Pistons have to be glad that they are still getting the same coverage. Always a give and take with the local news.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe AI will be great off the bench. If he performs as the best bench player in history, we will be a very dangerous team. Other teams will have to adapt a special gameplan to deal with us.

We've tried every other combination and this one makes sense in the lab, so let's just see how it turns out.

14. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

For real when you think about it I thought Stuckey and AI was less likely to work than AI and Rip, so it does make sense. Its just been handled really badly where it just looks like AI is been frozen out by the other players (whether it is true or not). I guess we will learn the truth, when/if AI comes off the bench. Reckon Stuckey will lose some minutes if they really want it to work. The injury works well as it gives AI time to cool down and find a way to think positively about it.

Disclaimer, I haven't watched many games.

15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That's not what i was doing as i've stated numerous times. I stated it sounded like a response. The tone of my post and the added "talking to yourself" was in response to the tone of the post i was replying to. The poster didn't just say i wasn't talking to you.

Look if you read every post, you would see that alot of my responses/arguments with people are because i make a comment about AI or whoever, and people respond to my posts with criticism, tell me to stop "missing" CB in cruder terms, get over it, stop complaining, etc. I'm not saying that i haven't commented on people's posts that have started argument, but about 90% of the time i get jumped on for my opinion because it's one people don't like, disagree with, or whatever. And i'm talking in terms of things that lead to antagnostic posts not regular discussion. The AI fans here seem to have some sort of bat signal.

Many people have clear biases. Why people like to point out what they perceive as mine constantly i don't know. Maybe it's b/c i post alot and if i lessened that it would stop. Unless you feel the need to go around pointing this out to all the other posters, i would appreciate it if you don't interject yourself into a discussion to point it out to me.

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think if that many people are pointing something out to you then perhaps you should take a look at what they are saying.

It seems to me there is some validity to what they are saying.

You seem like an intelligent and nice enough person (really), so I don't think people would just jump on you for the sake of doing so.

I'm no Iverson lover. Never liked him as a person from what I have seen and heard. But IMO, he is absolutely not to blame for this mess. It really does seem to me that you pick his game apart at every given opportunity...but you don't hold others to those standards.

I did that with Kobe for a long time. After years, I finally had to grudgingly admit that he's a great ballplayer...but I still hate the bast*** with a passion.

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Reminds me of how I followed the Bulls briefly in the 90s. Once I took my Jordan hater glasses off, you just had to be blown away by how refined and consistent his game was as he got older. His turnaround and step back jumpers were probably the best I have ever seen.

18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yep...him too.

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Talented 'yes', but I remember him best for his pushoff jumpers...Stern's first Golden Boy.

20. max

max All-Star

I agree - you had to respect him. He dashed a lot of playoff hopes for so many fans outside of Chicago but he did earn it. Maybe thats why AI is so likeable.