AI Benched! Rip To Start the Rest of the Season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mossberg, Feb 27, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

While anything is possible, I doubt very much that any player on our team would ever fake an injury... especially a player who is known for his toughness.

Back injuries are almost impossible to play though. It can feel 100% one second and then send a jolting pain through your body the next. It is much tougher to play through than a constant pain.

If anyone deserved the benefit of the doubt, it is AI. Also, he was injured before he lost his starting job.
  2. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

Re: big mistake pistons fans

Seriously hearing things like that almost makes me want AI to not come back and see the Pistons lose..so maybe some of the Pistons will look in the mirror instead of always blaming someone else...

I really do hope the Pistons will turn it around now but reading some things all over the net (not really on this board) people almost acting like the pistons are back to being conference finals bound again....maybe I'm exaggerating a little with that but its almost kind of funny to me.
  3. Jewelz0376

Have u ever had a back injury and tried to play basketball?? On top of that imagine being a player where most of your game is your quickness... A back injury is similar to a hamstring problem where if you dont take care of it the right way earlier it can linger all season long...
  4. starwar2138

starwar2138 First Round Draft Pick

ai didnt lose he's starting job it was giving away because tay rip sheed didnt want to play with him they miss cb a bunch of cry baby :crying: :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying: :crying:dont 4get tay rip and sheed what come around go around dat karma!!!!
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I see you have left the forum for a break. I assume you went to go tell the orphan children that Santa doesn't exist. :crossed:
  6. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

I forget what the saying is: you can play when you're hurt, but not when you're injured or vice versa.

If it's hurt, then yes, I think Allen is hurt. However, I don't think he's willing to hurt his back any further or injure himself for this Detroit Pistons team.

Allen is known for playing through injuries and toughing it out. I've seen him play half a game against the Celtics with a broken hand. Tommy Heinsohn is still upset about that as the Sixers went into the half leading by about 10.

But, he was laying and does lay it out on the line for guys that he believes are laying it out on the line for him. I doubt very seriously if he believes that about the Pistons.

Not anymore.

But, it should be interesting to see, either way.
  7. Star Jones

Hilarious. Carmelo would show up, but since they can't braid each others hair anymore, it would be just very frustrating and painful.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If you were to put together a list of all the teammates and coaches that have let down "Allen" in his career it would look like the Vietnam Memorial by the time it was done.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

So are these innuendoes about AI coming from someplace within the team or are we all reading into this looking for stuff because it's him?
  10. Star Jones

Which innuendos in particular are you referring? His back injury?

As for his teammates, I don't know of many that feel the Sixers "let him down," but plenty of people are willing to call a spade a spade and they were limited offensively, so yeah, it was what it was in Philadelphia.

I don't know of many people that claim the Nuggets "let Allen down" either. They were and are the most talented group of players that he's ever had the chance to play with and all of their increased and improved numbers reflect that.

Now, do many people question the talent level of George Karl? Yep. I know I do and did so prior to Denver ever being a twinkling in Allen's eye. George Karl has wasted many more players careers than Allen Iverson's. Just ask Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, Glenn Robinson and Gary Payton if they should have accomplished more and sooner in their careers than they did. Ask some old Bucks and Sonics fans how fondly they think of George Karl.

You ask if people are: looking for stuff because it's him?

To that, I say yes, it is because it's him.

If I were to ask someone to rate the bulk of the Sixers individually on a scale of talent, you'd get some really low numbers and people would laugh about how most of them were buried deep on a bench before Philadelphia, could only get that type of run in Philadelphia or barely played for any other team in the League after Philadelphia. Bring Allen's name into the conversation and it's suddenly, "oh, well, he's so selfish and couldn't make them any better."

If I were to ask people about how successful George Karl has been coaching some of the most talented guys to ever grace the NBA hardcourts, they'd tell you that he was severely lacking. Bring Allen's name into the conversation and it's suddenly, "oh, well, who can coach Allen? Of course he lost AGAIN."

If I were to ask people that isn't a little strange that Larry Brown never made it to the Finals in all of the 25+ years he coached and with all of the HOFs he had(some that you'd actually respect)? They'd say yeah. Bring up the fact that his first trip ever was with Allen and the conversation would once again flip on a dime.

Yes, Ernie, people do look for stuff, just because it's him.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

The innuendoes that he is milking his injury to save face from coming off the bench or "being benched" as the papers are calling it. I started off my day today in this thread, I think, saying they were being hard on him.

I am saying that people are making too much out of this because it is him. Maybe it is a case of the media giveth and the media taketh because it is the media who perpetuates the myth of the guy who plays so "hard" also.

I don't dislike AI, but I don't think he is that good of a player either. To me, he would have to score 60 PPG to be effective because the rest of his game is so flawed. I also think a lot of players could score like he has if they had the ball as much as he without the intent to set people up.

I had no pre-conceived biases towards AI when he came here. I don't care what people write about him, I just watch games and see if a guy helps you win or not. You can check my post after his first game here against NJ and see what I wrote about him. I kept that tone until a few weeks ago. I feel like watching him here these 50 or so games is a microcosm of his career and I can see why he has had difficulty lending his talent to successful teams.

LB is known for taking over bad teams like the Clippers, the Pacers and 6'rs and getting them somewhere in a short amount of time. Taking over a somewhat established team like DET was unusual for him. That would explain the drought, but he did make the Finals his first year coaching at UCLA and won at Kansas if that counts. LB deserves royalties every time someone mentions letting AI be AI because he is the one that moved him to his preferred 2 spot.
  12. Jewelz0376

I dont know to say that lots of players could have a top 5 scoring average of all time, top 3 playoff scoring average of all time, and top 40 per of all time?? I just don't see that at all, but I guess its your opinion... Especially when you consider that since pretty much the 1st day he got in the league he got all of the attention from every d he faced..

To me its like saying that any player can average 25+ a game if they get 25 shots a night...which couldnt be further from the truth..you have to be a good player to get 20+ shots a night..

As far as the injury goes I'm sure AI probably isn't in any hurry to get back the team and ride the bench especially if he's going to play Bynums mins like Curry said he would (which i doubt)...but in the end i'm sure AI feels the same way about it that Rip feels...As long as the team is winning he'll roll with it..but if he goes to the 6th man spot and they keep struggling then he will def have a serious problem with it...

Even if AI wasn't feeling the bench and wanted to just play out his back injury and not play...he's not stupid...and neither is his agent..They both know that would cost AI any chance of player for a winner next year or getting ne thing above the MLE...
  13. BB4L11

BB4L11 First Round Draft Pick

It may be lipstick on a pig but I like this pig better than the last one, Rip needs to start fullstop.

That is also half the problem with coach, distributing the minutes, this is not little league, sometimes guys just won't play much depending on the way the game is going. It's quite simple, if Rip is off his game and AI comes on and dominates sit Rip for a while and bring him in for someone else later, if he is still off then he can ride the pine, that's why they get paid the big bucks. To perform.

BB4L :cheers:
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's meaningless really. Rip start, Stuck start, AI start...

If people don't play hard, play smart and hustle, they aren't going to win. Who starts, who gets the ball, who stands around, who defends, who does whatever, it's all just excuses.

At the end of the day, if you have one more point than your opponent, you win, whether it is 120-119 or 79-78.

I'm tired of the excuses from everyone.
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

First of all, U will NEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVer EVVER hear me sympathize for these million dollar crybabies about any type of injury. I am out here at 4:00AM digging a hole to fix a cable in 15 degree weather with a injured left rotator cuff, bad lower back, broken toe on my right foot, bad eyesight, high blood pressure and sore knees from playing basketball on asphalt at belle Isle 8 hrs a day. These guys make enough money to have the best med treatment out there to run no more than 30 /40 minutes a night. I JOG/WORKOUT 2 hours a day-5 days a week REGARDLESS!!!!

Please dont EVER compare a hard working man like me to these sissybutt millionaires who whine like babies when a call doesnt go their way or look like they just got shot when they get poked in the eye.

Bunch of RuPaul-wannabes!! (see Shaq about Chris Bosh-:pound:)
  16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Trust me...orphan children could give a dang about Santa Claus! LOL
    They have enough trouble worrying about what kind of porridge they gonna eat or whether the milk is spoiled.

"Dont eat the mush"..."Why?"...its spoiled!!!"- Little Rascals
  17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Trust me...orphan children could give a dang about Santa Claus! LOL
    They have enough trouble worrying about what kind of porridge they gonna eat or whether the milk is spoiled.

"Dont eat the mush"..."Why?"...its spoiled!!!"- Little Rascals
  18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

LOL @ HQ. Funny guy.:pound:
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

As much as I love HQ's sissybutt millionaire theory (that had me laughing) I think it's smart for AI to not try to play through the back injury.

AI is one of the toughest, play-through-the-pain players in the League but if you try to Grant Hill an injury it's not very smart.

Especially if the team seems to be playing better without you.
  20. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick