1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

AI Changes his look

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by AI IS GOD, Feb 14, 2009.

1. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

IMO, it's definitely something. You don't change a hairstyle you've had for -- what? -- fifteen years, without it meaning something and, probably, meaning that he's going through some sort of emotional/psychological transition.

Now, just what that means for his play on the court and for the team, if anything, i don't think anyone -- including Allen -- could possibly say.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was just thinking to myself the other day that he's about due to cut it off. Must be a relief.

3. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Whoa. I didn't expect that until after he retired. He must've finally found someone that he trusts to cut his hair on a regular basis or the girl that usually cornrows his hair has retired from traveling with him.

Funny story: one night, a cornrow was coming apart and he was completely off his game. During a timeout, someone comes rushing down to the sideline and starts doing his hair on the sideline!!! Hilarious. The announcers couldn't get enough of that one. :laugh:

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

Indeed. Irregardless of the benefits of self-expression, having my hair tied to my head for even 5 minutes is something I could never imagine to be not stressful.

There's nothing more relaxing than a good scalp massage :rapture: Arnie should consider adding it to his bag of unorthodox treatments now that AI has relieved himself.

5. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Its not that deep. Getting your hair braided is a time consuming and sometimes painful and uncomfortable procedure. Maybe he was just tired of the braids. I bet he feels much better.

6. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

As for me AI is a great player NO question about that but for me it sucks having him for the pistons.. even scoring 20+ points a night Ai will still be a gangster ball hogging dude with a lot of EGO. Hes not making hes teamates better its all about hes crossover and what loosing boo JOe d then....

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think AI needs longer shorts.

Also, I think the new hair cut will help his pick-and-roll defense.

8. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

9. professor

It may not be that deep. I don't mean to exaggerate the depth. But a decade and a half is a long time to go through a time consuming and sometime painful and uncomfortable procedure. Maybe he's just tired of the braids, but realizing that and doing something about it is obviously something he wasn't feeling last week. So something's changed. Allen seems to me to be a guy who cares about style, by which I mean a guy for whom style tells him something about himself that's important to him. Obviously, I'm speculating entirely here (or maybe projecting!) about the meaning (of course, so are any of us who haven't actually known him or talked to him about it), but certainly something has changed.

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

:pound: Maybe the hair was weighing him down.

11. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I can only speak for myself, but about 7 years ago I decided to shave my head. I did it for no particular reason. I wasn't going bald, my hair wasn't graying or any other reason why some men shave their heads. I just wanted to go bald. Period.

As I said that was a little over 7 years ago. Today I take my son to the barber every 10 days or so, at todays prices for a haircut in the DC area I will continue to shave my head!

12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

every 10 days?? does his hair grow like a chia pet?? lol. my hair grows quickly too...i highly recommend just buying one of those haircut kits for $13 and doing it yourself. i've saved so much $ since i switched to cutting my own hair.

13. professor

Alright y'all, I give up (for now): sometimes a cigar IS just a cigar.

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

According to Real GM AI has indicated he'll re-sign with DET for the MLE if they'll throw in a Flowbee.

15. Dlev59

LOL.........every 10 days to 2 weeks or so. a shape up, trim and perhaps a cut too is needed in that time frame. If not, well it's a long story.

Like I said all I need is razors and shaving cream for myself. I cut my sons hair once and it was a disaster. So, for now the barber for him but not me.

16. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

A black dude's attention to his hair takes a step back only to a black woman's attention to her hair. It must be done. It can't be explained, but it must be done. :D

17. Dlev59

Wouldn't have said it like that, but I'm feelin ya!

18. NYPistonFan729

I think it was time for a change. He is older. I just do not think it is that big of a deal in terms of basketball. There is a real issue about braiding of hair among black males, but it is too deep of a discussion in a sports forum. There are so many opinions about hair braiding amongst black males within one's family. It is an issue I struggle with my two sons and countless students under my care. I think it probably has been discussed within AI's family. Although I dont know. I think he feels good about the decision.

19. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i would've preferred AI to sport a fro for a few games before chopping it off...that would've been sweet

20. NYPistonFan729

The fro would have been great!!!