AI missing PRACTICE

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jzchen, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Iverson misses practice; he won't start Friday | The Detroit News | detnews.com
    How bad does AI want it?

Good for Curry. This is excellent. No stowaways. We can't win it if AI won't do whatever it takes. This is his gut check. Same with everyone else on the team.

2. Stuckey.And1

Stuckey.And1 First Round Draft Pick

I hope Will Bynum or Stuckey get to start the next one

3. roscoe36

Stuck will start.

Apparently UncleTy (TySkillz) said he saw AI at a party last night in Detroit (Seldom Blues). So this wasn't any family thing. I have no reason to believe Ty would make that up.

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

even better :doh:

5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I think WE ALL ae butthjeads JUST for being LOGGED IN!!!! LOL
    But with the score 44-10...Happy Thanksgiving

and I give thanks 4 u all. My Friends!!!

6. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

A quick fine and a benching. MC the rookie coach shows the future Hall of Famer and everyone else who's in charge. Good job coach.

7. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Well if he was out partying? and thats why he missed the extra practice called to help him acclimate to the team? he should keep his @$$ on the bench until he starts looking forward to pracice. We can win games without him. We have been struggling trying to fit with him..

8. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

"To be a good team, you have to develop trust, and I think we have that," Allen Iverson[​IMG] said.

Guess not, lol

How can you trust a guy on the court if you can't even trust him off the court.

Total disrespect for the coach, the players and the Piston organisation (Joe).

Also say goodbye to the chemistry they tried to build up in the last couple of days. How do you think the Piston players will feel once he turns up for gameday.

9. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Lol I'm with you Scoe. M.C. should've never had practice today on Thanksgiving!! That doesn't make sense. They should've been at home with their families eating good meals. Where has the integrity of the holidays and family gone??

10. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Sure, it may have been a bad idea to have the practice today...but everyone else was there. His no-show is inexcuseable. It just tells his teammates and coach that his time is more important than theirs. Im sure each and everyone of them would have preffered to be at home with family as well.

11. roscoe36

Let's not kid ourselves.

There is a reason AI has not won a title. Even in Denver, with a fair amount of talent around him, he didn't come close.

I like AI a lot. He has to decide if he really means what he says about doing whatever it takes, or if he has become comfortable to being a playoff dud with a great regular season record.

What happened today was necessary. It needs to happen in Nov, so that Joe and Mike don't have to deal with it in May.

I really don't like KG, but I have to admit, he helped inspire a bunch of other guys in Boston. AI is not going to inspire this group, but rather they are going to demand that he reaches down and demands even more from himself, perhaps more than he has ever given before.

Again, this needs to come out. There will be no more scoring titles. There will be very few 40 minutes played games. This franchise has only one measure of success, and that is winning a title. Either he is committed completely to that goal or not. It's best to know as soon as possible, because that gives Joe options and insight as the offseason draws nearer.

So yeah, you can be disappointed with AI. But this happens on every team, it's merely not as big a deal, because the Pistons are not a Mickey Mouse outfit. In Detroit, this franchise will always be bigger than the best player. It's just how it is.

12. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

excuse my tone, please

whether he should have scheduled a practice today is besides the ****** point. Everybody else was there. This practice was to help him integrate with our offensive and defensive philosophies. and not to mention if their were any tension before, imagine how much they "respect" him now.

i love how people can gloss this over because their willing to accept the baggage of having a "superstar."

13. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

I was thinking hey, calm down it's thanksgiving, but then I saw that only he didn't go to it.

Guess Rip (El Captain) needs to speak with him.

14. roscoe36

You know, you're always a ray of sunshine.

Because life is bigger than basketball. People are starving, and dying, and feeling depressed and alone. Allen Iverson missing practice is a lot less bothersome than dropping my toothbrush in the toilet by accident.

Hold down some perspective. You'll live a lot longer, and I think, live a lot better.

That's what I thought at first too.

But Curry is dealing with it the way we would want him to, so what is there to complain about? You do the crime, you do the time. Then you move on.

It's all good. Chins up. Turkey consumption on maximum!

15. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

i can't really respond. you're entitled to your perspective, and i'm certainly allowed to mine. it's actually done me okay in life so far. no, this won't keeping me or any Pistons fan from sleeping tonight, but his arrogance (and towards this team trying to integrate him) is disturbing, at least for the offday. not even a phone call to anyone to clear it up, which leads me to believe that he just blew it off.

16. roscoe36

Sure you're entitled to an opinion, that doesn't make it the right one, or the best one. Same goes for me.

What I am asking is, do you really think this is a crisis?

Or is it a missed practice on a holiday?

And does Mike's response to it not count for anything?

AI is here. He's either onboard or he is not. He's pulled this his whole career. Personally, I think people are missing the point.

1. Does he play at all @ Milwaukee?

2. Does he sulk and this becomes a problem?

Missing practice and all of this emotional fragility everyone attributes to every teammate seems dramatic IMO. Oh gee, Chauncey is traded, everyone is crying. Who gets introduced first, it's a respect thing. AI doesn't make practice, everyone will be depressed.

You ever had a co-worker not show up without calling? Sure, they are a wiener for doing it, but life goes on.

And so it will Friday.

17. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Agreed. Joe will not be happy about this, and neither am I.
    I know this is not a big deal, but ever since we acquired AI, we had little to none practice time, but thank god MC is putting the hammer down. We obviously need to work on a few things to get our game flowing and this is not a good time to take a break.

18. roscoe36

Also, last season Amir missed a team flight. IIRC, Delfino may have had the same thing happen.

I think the opposite argument is in play here. Because he is AI, it has to be a big deal. If Amir missed practice, obviously it would not be such a big deal.

So instead of people giving him a pass because he is a "star", people are making it out to be a big deal because he is a "star".

19. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I dont think it has to do with star or no star...or even that its AI...What bothers me is the fact that the team needs the extra practice to get a rythm and get to know the sets. and secondly, the fact that every other player made it.
    Last season Amir missing a flight had nothing to do with the rest of the teams performance. AI is supposed to be a big part of the team, and this has a impact ...

20. roscoe36

I would be a lot more annoyed if more players hadn't made it.

This is fixable. A mutiny in November with a rookie coach probably is not.

Mike's serious and absolute justice will send a message that everyone who showed up did the right thing, and even if you are a HOF player, you are still accountable to the coach and your teammates.

This is a good precedent to be set. The franchise will not tolerate a double standard. :good:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.