AI missing PRACTICE

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jzchen, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I would be upset if it were Sheed, Rip, or Tay who had played hooky. That would indicate a more serious problem with Curry's authority.

The Pistons are in an unusual position with their new superstar. If AI doesn't want to play by the rules he can just walk and leave the Pistons with all that cap space. One consequence of this policy is that it may discourage prima donna types from signing as a free agents, but I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing.

3. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

Anybody knows the exact reason for AI not practicing?

any quotes from AI or dumars...???

Thanks

4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

There is no chance AI will be with us next year.

He has a history of taking practice lightly and joked about it in his first press conference.

For a guy who is trying hard to fit into this team...this could end up being a really big deal. Maybe not...but the timing is awful.

And you can't really compare it to another player missing practice.

5. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

How much work can really be done in a hour long practice on a holiday? Announcing the practice after last nights game without giving a couple of days notice is in my opinion bad judgement. It sounds more like Curry trying to be heavy handed with these guys. However, if everyone else managed to show up then Iverson should have too. It will be interesting to see what Iverson has to say and what his excuse is.

Also, I think this is a good thing. No place else has Iverson been treated like one of the guy's. The rules never applied to him. In Detroit there is accountabilty for your actions. I think this is just a minor bump in the road.

6. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Not sure I understand the necessity for a Turkey Day practice, but rules are rules. Players have to abide by them, it's not voluntary participation. All, the other players showed up, and I am pretty sure they were not jumping up and down w/ joy when they heard of a holiday practice. Respect the team rules and you team mates AI. Disciplinary action is needed, even though Joe knew what he was getting into w/ this trade.

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

He showed up to a playoff practice right before his team was eliminated wearing Flip Flops if I remember correctly.

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Reminds me of Dennis Rodman losing his shoes.

9. roscoe36

Reminds me of worm unlacing his shoes after taking himself out of the game when playing for Ron Rothstein.

Weekend holiday drama. w00t.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree, what's with all this discussing AI on a holiday. Couldn't you all stay away the forum today to allow Roscoe to perform some server and site maintenance. Instead 50 posts on AI and what he didn't do on thanksgiving.

I checked the schedule in advance and had I known MC was going to schedule a practice, I would not have invited my good buddy Allen and his family out here to SoCal for Thanksgiving dinner. Joe called him right before we served hors d'overes, and AI was visibly upset about being paged on his BB, but he still stayed for the full dinner before we took him back to the airport to fly back to Motown. So blame me as no one turns down Mrs. Dre's Thanksgiving dinner invitations....:chef2:

Sorry to make light of the subject, but with AI or anybody new to the Piston family you can't expect them to be perfect and you get what get. The first thing prior to tomorrow's game and afterwards, the media will pounce on him looking for another "practice" soundbite. Yeah, he will pay his fine and sit on the bench for awhile, but win or lose, 3 days from now it will all but be forgotten until he skips the practice scheduled for Christmas day. :redface:

11. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Come-on Coe, I need confirmation about this and I do need a reason...UncleTy or not.

12. roscoe36

@Dre - Your post cracked me up. Especially the line about Christmas practice. Thank you for the laugh, I needed it.

I can't explain this further. Except that Ty has always been a straight shooter, going back to his reporting from open practices.

13. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I am not defending AI at all, however, if he improves his D, increases his team leading ppg avg to about 22-25........this drama will be long forgotten.

Joe D and MC knew what they were getting with Iverson, they both were probably surprised this happened as soon as it did.

Joe has rolled the dice and he has until next year to see if he craps out!

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You and i very rarely agree so i just have to say i agree! LOL

And if it was Amir that missed the practice it would still be a big deal. I guarantee there will be a flurry of posts stating he's a bust, he's not hard-working, he shouldn't play, he's too immature, not ready, etc. There's also a difference between being late and totally blowing something off esp if one reason was you overslept (i think that was Amir's), and the other is you were out partying the night before and oculdn't be bothered to show up.

AI's comments about trust, chemistry, doing whatever it takes to win are seriously questionable if all it takes is a practice he doesn't want to go for him to throw it out the window.

This could be a really good thing or a really bad thing depending on the way his attitude goes from here, but it's extremely hard to change someone who's been the same way for 15 years.

After Joe D making light and joking about practice in the press conference this is just a clear sign of disrespect.

(And the fact that i was able to coherently state my point in my very drunk state of mind makes me really happy right now LOL)

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Impressive indeed.

16. pass99

Great post. This (over-all) is a stupid move on Curry's part. It shows his insecurity and the fact that he had a majority of players whining about this ONE_HOUR practice shows a team (family) discomfort level that blast out danger signals to me. I hope Curry, when this is over, realizes that the potential of a major distraction in not in the best interest of the organization and yes, it reaches that far. I hope he grows and learns something from this as a head coach.

Let's pick up on something. A couple of practices ago (ahem!), AI was asked about what he thought about the WHOLE team consensus that all where looking forward to some quality time together, via the practice route. What was his reaction on the results? His reaction was indirect, but very telling. He surmised that his personal role was an adaption on where his placement should be on the defensive end. Hello, did anyone pick up on this? This, from a fellow that can still drop out 25 point per game without breathing hard, and yea, I will let the forum fine tune how the other 60-70 should be spread around.

He was telling his team-mates and anyone interested in listening, that the concept of participation asked of him would be acknowledge. In a sense, he was saying, I will accept a role and work hard toward a certain standard (the wisdom of the crowd), if all work hard to step up. If not, then I don't need you. At six feet, I need not raise high the roof beams and Seymour is at the very least, the tyranny of the majority.

The response from the team: eight in double figures. Hello? Who stepped up?

Now, with this over-blown media ejaculation, the team is diverted needlessly in response toward two battle lines drawn in WWI trench warfare: Curry/Dumars and AI.

This will pass. The team will galvanize around AI...and Curry: you are very lucky.

Any beyond the ho-hum: team, team, team, team...what wisdom side are you on?

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I agree on Dre's Christmas Day line being way funny.

This suck just because he's the one that needs the practice. Other than that it's pretty similar to Sheed being late to shoot around on elimination day last year or those "other people" who acted up quietly that Curry also spoke of when he took over.

It doesn't take much to throw these guys off. If you switch practice sites or times you almost guarantee someone will be late.

AI is a known drinker. It's been rumored that he'll often crash out on someone's couch who he just met. I was looking for an article today and couldn't find it today by Bill Simmons where he talks about how most of AI's highest scoring games have come after long nights of partying and little sleep.

18. pass99

I don't know where you could find anything (then again, perhaps you could) within Simmon's astounding "on the road" most recent diatribe. Jack Kerouac provided himself with a continuous piece of paper and perhaps a secondary stimulus. Simmon's, working on his computer, has no such luxury. But, then again, that stimulus is always omnipresent.

Impressive piece of getting it out of you.

19. roscoe36

Sounds like my 20s.

20. pass99

And with 20 million on your hump-back to perform in the land of giants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.