AI missing PRACTICE

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jzchen, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I respect AI. He's done it his way. I'd like to believe I have some of that in me. I'm his age, so except the money, the fame and the physical talent,we have a lot in common.

But he's gunna need to get his act together if he wants to win. When Curry announces an unpopular practice, he needs to be the guy making sure that everyone will make it, and cheering above the groans.

No stowaways. It's easier said than done, but absolutely necessary.
  2. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

With all due respect (and I include myself), you have nothing in common, but perhaps age.

An internalization of drive, from within, is of such singular possibilities of expected results (in the modern age), that the will of might becomes circumstance not coming from valleys of below.

Every hero is a Samson. The strong man succumbs to the intrigues of the weak and the many; and if in the end he loses all patience, he crushes both them and himself. Or his like Gulliver at Lilliput, overwhelmed by enormous number of little men.

Schopenhauer, A Few Parables
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It should be fun finding out what is at the end of the A.I. rainbow.
  4. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

I don't really understand why there can't be a practise on Thanksgiving, especially when it's really needed.
    Then again i am from Europe and we don't do Thanksgiving over here so what do i know.

Point i want to make is that ppl forgot that 4 teams actually played a match, so clearly work goes on. And what is a 1 hour training anyway, you get in at 10, leave at 11 and have the rest of the day off. isn't dinner served in the evening.

Don't mean to offend the whole Thanksgiving celebrations thing but according to Curry they are back into trainingscamp mode, and sometimes you have to sacrifice a bit to win it all.

AI just should have been there and i hope it all gets solved in a positive way so that the chemistry between him and the team will continue to build. Don't want to end up with another "Stephon Marbury" on the bench.

Btw Pistons play during Christmas.
  5. max

max All-Star

This is not good but I don't see it has a hanging offense. Curry scheduled the practice right after the NY game and it only lasted for an hour. So its not anything ground breaking would have been accomplished anyhow.

I see this as a rookie mistake by Curry to have it in the 1st place. Given that he did a rule is a rule and AI will be fined and may or may not play today. I would imagine it will be a 1 game suspension and in all reality it should be a full game suspension.

Just kind of cheeses me off since I will be going to todays game. Maybe Stucky will make up for it if AI is out.
  6. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Iverson skips holiday practice | The Detroit News | detnews.com

"A lot of (the players) were grumbling," Curry said. "That's part of it. There are things you have to do to pay the price to get where we need to be."
    Curry kept the team for 60 minutes Thursday. It mostly was a conditioning day.
    "We did a lot of running and conditioning," Curry said. "The guys responded really well."
    None of the players stuck around to talk to the media after practice, but Curry didn't think Iverson's actions will have any lingering negative effect.
    "As I told these guys, together they are accountable for each other," Curry said. "I expect guys not to be late. I expect that if a guy's not here, somebody will call that guy. We have to make sure as a group that we hold each other accountable because as a staff and an organization, we're darn sure going to hold them accountable."
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I was being facetious.

Hopefully you and I can identify with this. :D

Ridicule is the burden of genius.

-Daffy Duck
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Clearly Roscoe was being facetious when comparing himself to AI. His comparison with Daffy Duck?..... I'm not so sure.

Nobody knows how the missing practice will end up affecting the team. I think it could be a tipping point similar to John McCain's no show on David Letterman.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, obviously AI screwed up. The question now is "How will he respond from here?". The first step has to be an apology to his coaches and teammates in the lockerroom before the game. If he gains their forgiveness, that's all that really matters in the long run.
  10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Curry had them all come in for conditioning on Thanksgiving?
    No wonder Iverson blew it off. Iverson and Rip are the most conditioned guy's on the team.
  11. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I couldnt agree more however I sincerely hope it doesnt be come a habit.:victory:
  12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

yall still think 'PRACtice' is funny???

We use to have a saying in the Army.
    There are no bad soldiers, just bad 'training'.
    Even if there was a practice on Thanksgiving, where do u think the guys minds were REALLY at. I had to work my normal shift that nite til 8AM and I promise that I wasnt thinking bout nothing BUT DINNER the whole night!
    "A WHOLE ONE HOUR OF PRACTICE!??" To accomplish what?

what if:

- someone got in a car accident
    - someone hurt his knee
    - what about the kids who wanted to watch the parade with their daddy

Cmon, Curry....PRACTICE!!!????...ON A HOLIDAY???

THATS ALMOST JUST AS BAD AS those of who actually posted yesterday!...when they should have been drinking!:beer:
  13. max

max All-Star

HQ - good point. Especially on a holiday after a blowout win. Usually they practice the day after when they lose.

I know Curry had things to cover but you don't want to burn the team out either. Who knows - maybe AI is everyones hero for doing this. Now he can pay his fine or take his 1 game suspension and we can all move on.
  14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

the debate on if there should have been a practice or not really isn't the problem.... 12/13 guys all cared enough about winning and the team to show up and one player didn't.

its not just pro sports that have practice on days like this, highschool sports do the same thing, I know a grandmother (friend of my mom) was complaining that her grandson had a practice yesterday morning and there season hasn't even started yet.

Nope you don't have to go to practice, and nope you don't have to have a multi million dollar contract to play a game.... A GAME.... how many people in this forum do things that are much more important to the welfare of mankind and get paid a penny for ever 1000 dollars AI makes.

He showed no respect for the team or his fellow members of the TEAM. I hope this is just a one off and not a problem that we'll see more of.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

First and foremost, AI should have been at practice. I would be a little more forgiving as a fan, though, if AI spent the day with his family versus was too hungover to make practice.
  16. max

max All-Star

I know he should have been there but the coach also has to know his players limits. I don't want it to get to the point where players don't want to come here because the coach is a "bleep".

I do have faith in Curry though. I am confident that he will be a good coach.
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

agreed.... but curry needs to coach to the TEAM's limits not a super star who has a history of showing he leans towards being selfish and not being a winner.

I really hope that maybe some really tough love here from both curr and joe will maybe turn on a light in the boys head.

This is his best last chance at a championship... from what most "experts" around the league saying he'll never be on a championship team I really doubt the lakers and the Spurs of the league will be beating on his door this summer.
  18. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Has anyone thought that MC possibly called the practice simply to test AI's comittment to the team? That could be why it was simply an hour?
  19. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

Iverson attends Pistons' shoot-around | The Detroit News | detnews.com

20. max

max All-Star

Seems like those of you who did not like him to begin with are making more of a deal out of this. What history of being selfish and not being a winner? Besides being on bad teams.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.