AI missing PRACTICE

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jzchen, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

Iverson regrets missing practice | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

2. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

Iverson returns to practice - Detroit Pistons Basketball: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If it walks.... and it talks.... and it looks...

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

They were saying during the Nugs v Hornets game last night how George Karl suspended JR Smith for being significantly late to practice last week and that he could do that because AI was not on the team anymore. They said that AI's presence meant he had to be more lax.

5. roscoe36

The strong man only loses what the weak and the many elevated him to.

A strong man is still the same man, even when his fortune and fame and status are gone. Unless he really wasn't a strong man to begin with.

And there are plenty of those mountebanks around.

6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Goerge Karl is a weak coach and a weasel. So there were no rules because Iverson was on the team? That is weak.

7. roscoe36

8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Then my view of Karl just got lower.... you get what you sew, you let players walk all over you and you deserve to have them walk all over you...

in reply to Max, I have nothing against AI and think that he actually gives us a better shot in the playoffs then Billiups (and Billiups is in my favorite top 10ish pistons of all time). But he has to understand that winning takes sacrifice, and I hope that because this was delt with fast and hard... that he understands the rules here, and will make him better for it.

As the players said its handled, and for me its in the past per say, unless he does another thing that I consider disrespectful to the team and Joe its water under the bridge.

9. max

max All-Star

Point noted. Billups is one of my favorites as well.

10. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

LOL. I was drinking, eating and posting. One can't do both at the same time. Try this punch.
    1/2 Cup of Vodka
    1/2 Cup of Gin
    1 Cup of Tequila Blanco
    1/2 Cup of Rum
    2 Cups of Pineapple Juice
    2 Cups of Cranberry Juice

11. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

So many obvious things in all of this. Obviously, the team needed practice time. Obviously, it was irresponsible and disrespectful for AI to miss it. Obviously, winning takes sacrifice.

Of course, sacrifice takes many forms. The sacrifice of working on weak areas of your game in the off season. The sacrifice of going all out for every minute that you are on the floor in every game. The sacrifice of risking easy wins in order to develop players, and combinations of players. The sacrifice of assuming responsibility, at least before your teammates, when you've made a mistake as a coach or player. The sacrifice of shutting your mouth near the end of a tight game when you don't like a call. The sacrifice of playing within your limits.

I don't really see what the debate is all about. To me, it's lame that curry called a Thanksgiving Day practice the night before the holiday and after a good win. It's lame that AI missed it when he knows there are at the very least "perception" issues around his practice habits and when most public commentaries on the team's struggles have cited the need for practice time.

Just like it's lame that every single Piston, and every Piston coach since 'ship season has failed more than once to SACRIFICE in one or more of the areas I described above. So as long as we are equally opportunity complainers, equally calling out everyone for the failure to sacrifice when we see it, I got no problems with people calling out AI for missing practice. But if we aren't doing that, then we're engaged in some weird, biased moralizing.

12. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You are being far to nice to Karl.

13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Did you miss his tenure in Philly? The behind the scenes stuff that went on there especially in his last year is the epitome of being selfish and not a winner.

The fact that the practice was only an hour irritates me even more. He didn't call, he didn't/doesn't (?) have a valid excuse, he just didn't show. He essentially played hooky. You do that when your in high school not a grown man with kids. However, Joe D/Curry seem to be handling it correctly and if AI apologizes i'm sure his teammates will (hopefully) get over it, but actions speak louder than words. He's got to prove he's committed with what he does not with what he says.

14. max

max All-Star

Like what? Besides the fact that his team had no chance of winning.

15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Max...you remember LB talking about Iverson's practice habits?

USATODAY.com - Brown puts balm on Iverson's feelings

Since you are going to the game today I expect you will be asking Allen about this whole thing.

16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

He forced his way out of Philly pretty unprofessionally besides just the above.

The whole story about him showing up late to practice in flip-flops for i think a PO game.

The obvious how am i going to make my teammates better by practicing?

And if the DEN stuff is true, GK is one, a pushover, and two it sounds like he pretty much did whatever he wanted there. If you can't fine/suspend someone else for being late for practice b/c AI is on the team? I'm not even sure what to make of that.

If we are going to criticize Kobe or Sheed for similar behavior then AI's fair game as well.

That being said, i don't see this happening again here.

17. max

max All-Star

That was almost 7 years ago. He is not running for a public office.

Did his attitude ever cost them a game? When you read Billups recent interview on some players ( Sheed? ) not trying during games because they were mad at the coach - what did you think?

As AI has said he always gives it 100% during the game. I wish he did have better practice habits but its a side show. The fact that our team has laid down in the ECF for 3 straight years is the main issue with the team in my opinion.

Then again I do understand that some do not like AI and may never like him so thats just the way it is.

18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Agreed.

If this were Sheed I think the majority (not all, but most) of us fans would give him the benefit of the doubt and move on, just like the team is doing with Allen.

Personally, I understand why Curry wanted a practice.

I understand why Allen didn't want to come to practice.

I understand why Curry and Joe D decided to punish him for it.

I'll understand it if they decide not to play him at all for tonight's game.

I'm not saying it's right what he did, but it's water under the bridge now. I'll stay calm until Iverson decides to show up to a playoff practice with his flip flops on.

Perhaps the whole team can get Allen back by showing up to the next practice wearing Flip Flops.

Maybe the Palace can have "Flip Flop night" the first time Flip Saunders comes in as an opposing coach assuming a team with no playoff hopes figures out that he is a regular season genius. :winner_first_h4h:

19. max

max All-Star

Didn't Sheed miss a few last year? I recall a couple of games in which he did not start because of something practice related.

20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Excellent point Max.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.