AI or Hamilton going to bench?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by AI IS GOD, Dec 30, 2008.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I don't think its as easy as AI or Rip... Rip has looked solid at the 3.

I think Prince is an option to be off the bench to start the games too.... he'll then backup the 1 and the 3 so to speak. He tends to handle the ball when stuckey is out of the game anyways.

But come the 4th quarter down the stretch I think our best lineup is going to be Stuckey Rip/AI (depends on the hot hand that night) Tay, Mcdyss, and sheed.

I love how AA is getting the defense replacement for AI as it is right now and AI isn't complaining to the media.

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Kobe would move over to the 3. There aren't a glut of All-Star SF's in the west, I guarantee you they would rather have Kobe and Rip on the wing as oppossed to Kobe and Luke/Vlado/Ariza. Then Rip can get back to being Hollywood Hamilton!!! It would also make Joe DUmars the man, think about it, CB got his wish of going back home - and they are winning, Rip would end up on a championship caliber team in Sunny Cali-For-Ni-A....Players would know that if you come to the D, Big Joe is going to take care of you.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lakers shouldn't be tinkering now. They have a good thing going.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Stop killing my DREAM TaShawn!!

5. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree with Rip going to the bench, BUT he will not handle it well. My problem with Rip is YES, the opposing players always seem to be able to rent a piece of real estate in his head very easily.

Then the whining to refs begins, Hamilton is a weak link when it comes to losing his composure. Unlike Sheed, who will whine to the refs, get his tech, whine some more, then he goes off on a scoring, rebounding blocking tangent, Rip on the other hand, pouts, and puffs and complains about holding his breath until he falls out if he doesn't get his way.

Odom is available as well as Walton (don't know about this guy). Curry has a dilemna. Hopefully he will be able to figure it out soon.

One thing is for sure, we definitely seem to play better with AJ/Sheed combination, Stucky is growing up and just running roughshod over opposing guards, AI still like him in there for his toughness and he can get his own shot when the game is on the line.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What I meant to say was that they shouldn't be screwing around with small changes. If they unload Kobe and Lamar together, then they can really give their team a jolt.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Try all three. Have Stuck come off the bench on occasion too. Heck, even Tay if the other team has a relatively small guy playing at small forward that Rip can actually handle. (Just rotate thru the four, adjusting the rotation a bit for matchups. The guy who does not start gets a bit more rest that night.)

Meanwhile, do the same for Amir / JMAX, at least have JMAX start 1 /4 of the games. And have Kwame start 1 / 4 of the games instead of Sheed.

Sound complicated? Nobody can find their role? At least it ain't small ball.

Here is the rotation actually I think they could stick with:

Start: AI, Stuckey, Tay, Amir, Kwame. (Rip comes in for AI early.)

2nd unit: AI, Rip, Afflalo, JMAX, Sheed.

play Dyess as the 11th man, as needed. Stuckey plays a minimum of 24 minutes. If Stuckey does not come in further after the 1st and 3rd quarters, the minutes would be Stuckey 24, Rip 34, AI, 38.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Rip & Max for Odom. Max and AJ are redundant, we've known this all along. The Lakers really miss Turiaf and Max would flourish with their 2nd unit. I justthink that as a team we are off-balanced right now with our personnel, having 2 SG's is throwing everything out of whack.

9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Thats genius.

Odom can play the 4 better than Tayshaun.

Heck, he can play point forward better than Tayshaun.

Tay comes off the bench for Odom. Swingman problem solved.

Tay can't do as bad as Arvis can he?

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Get them to throw in Ariza.

We become:Starters, AI, Stuckey, Tay, Odom, Sheed (Afflalo in early to spell AI)

2nd unit: AI, Afflalo, Ariza, Amir, Kwame.

Dyess, 11th man, as needed.

Edited to add: Nope, I still don't like the trade. I'd much rather have a great scorer like Rip to come off the bench, and JMAX, not ready at all to give up on him.

11. boozy

boozy First Round Draft Pick

It's simple, you want your bench to be immediately productive correct. So have A.I. come off the bench where you know he is capable of getting good penitration and making his own shots.

If it was Rip that had to come off the bench then he would need to be made to understand that the sixth man is just as important as the starters in this league wheather it be due to foul trouble, minutes, cold streaks, matchups or any number of factors.

In my opinion a sixth man is basically still a starter and an eleventh man is still part of the TEAM. People act like if you don't start that you are not an important part of the team. That's hogwash.

12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The only problem with sending Rip to the bench is that you don't help the second unit with their offense!! Rip needs the help of his teammates to be at his best. If you put him out there without other scoring threats; teams will take him out of his game. He cannot create for himself or his teammates and will hurt the second unit more then help it.

AI can run the point for the second while AA gets some burn at SG. Dice plays PF and Kwame gets some burn at center. Most of the shots will come from AI or his penetration setting up the second unit. Kwame and AA can help cover AI's defensive deficincies. The problem becomes trying to find the back up SF we have been missing for years.

Do we need to run Sharpe out there and live with the growing pains and hope that having AI on the floor with him will expedite his development??

13. boozy

boozy First Round Draft Pick

To be honest I would rather see Tay come off the bench and have Dyce start(as power forward). Tay can back up Rip(as small forward), Amir could back up Dyce, AA can back up A.I.
    Dyce has been conistently productive. He don't take to many shot's and when he does he generally makes them. He has been closed to several double doubles off the bench since he came back.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think this is much of a problem. Prince will play 40+ minutes a night. We have the small ball option. We also have Afflalo as a smaller backup or Herrmann as a bigger backup depending on the matchup.

15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i think you have to go with rip off the bench. sure he creates a bigger presence to start the game, but i think you need AI at the beginning more than rip, and you need a different starting unit than what we've had the past several years. sure, stuckey and amir are not the same as our starters for last year, but with stuckey being similar to chauncey and having 3 other starters the same, it's too familiar.

rip would still get his minutes. AA could spell tay at the 3 instead of herrmann (especially since AA has shown he can knock down 3-balls and defend much better...even got some burn against hedo last night). max and amir get more minutes at the 4. AI has shown he can be a decent system-defender when using a traditional lineup. rip gives our bench the scoring punch they need and a go-to guy who is tall and can defend.

the only way you trade rip this year is if you believe AI is going to re-sign next year(s) for a reasonable sum and will fit in as a more permanent solution at SG next to stuckey, and if you can get good a stud in return. if you could get boozer to sign and agree to extension during the season (is that allowed?), then you have to consider it.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This will probably be the destiny for AA this year. Using AA at the 3 isn't really small ball as long as we have a traditional 4/5 in there with him. And AA's defensive abilities mitigate some of the defensive problems with SB anyways. He sure won't be getting many minutes at the 2 spot, so this is necessary. He's too good to not play.

17. max

max All-Star

I would like to see how Rip does off the bench. It makes the most sense and hopefully he would be interested in doing what is best for the team. No shame in losing your spot to a player of AI's caliber. Besides we always wanted that scoring power off the bench.

18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Good luck with the scoring off the bench. With no one to get Rip the ball off screens, you'll see alot of Rip off the dribble, and Rip ball-hogging with the bench players.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Even if Rip comes off the bench, we could always have Stuck or AI at the point with him. Combine that with AA and a guy like Max drawing attention in the paint, and it'd work out just fine. Rip is good enough to create against 2nd units.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Oh geez, put down your crystal ball. You're too young to be a gypsy fortune teller lady in a tent at the fair. :D