AI Wants to end up a piston??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by AI IS GOD, Feb 13, 2009.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

AI will be playing for a lottery team next year then. No contending team is going to make him the #1 option.

If he'd be willing to sacrifice his ego and come off the bench for a contender... he could finally get his championship ring. But sadly, I don't see him doing that.
  2. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

letting AI not be AI has led to worse, the current Pistons team is not even .500 with AI. I dont think AI will be on a worse team next year then this one.

And he is not a bench material, he is better more then half of the SG's in the league.
  3. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I think you meant "used to be"??
  4. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

Hmmm lets go through the playoff teams and see who I could maybe see interested in having AI start next year either at 1 or 2 because I'm still convinced a coach will no longer put AI at point..(if he plays for mle or a little more)

lakers..nope
    sa....yup
    denver...nope
    portland...yup
    houston...yup
    no...nope
    dallas....yup
    utah...yup
    bos...nope
    cle...yup
    miami...yup
    orl...yup
    atl...nope

The only teams I see a 0 chance they would want AI as a starter is bos, denver, la, no, atl....all the other teams listed if they don't meet their playoff expectations next year and AI is willing to play for cheap I could see them showing interest...

I could easily see AI going to a team where he and another playing are both a #1 option (1a & 1b) kind of like in Den with Melo...

So i think Det will have some competition if they want to resign him..but I doubt they will want to...they'll most likely just want to go with stuck and rip..
  5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

for JD all what finally matters is pricetag. from midlevel-ish price up to 7-8 mil per year, lets say, two yr contract with AI - done!

I'm 115% sure JD isn't going to overpay just to get somebody, most in-between teams are hanging between earth and air not because of lack of motivation, etc, but mainly because of several big bad contracts.

And capspace drops not only in 2009 but most probably in 2010 too.
  6. BB4L11

BB4L11 First Round Draft Pick

Fine by me, see how he feels when his minutes get cut in the future.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Just out of curiosity, but when has letting AI be AI ever really borne fruit?

From what I can tell it only seems to produce bad teammates and dumb coaches.
  8. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Well, if it turns out that Allen is delusional, I am pretty sure that he'd rather have that explained to him by a better coach than Michael Curry and if he has to sit, he rather sit behind better players than Rodney Stuckey and Richard Hamilton.

He'll be fine, the Pistons will be fine and next year, they can prove the other one wrong.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

What would AI's role and how effective would he be on the 86 Celtics, the 88-90 Piston teams, the 72 win Bulls team or the Dream Team? Could he contribute to great teams playing the way they played?

If he can't it is not because he is selfish or some blight to society, but because he is not that good of a basketball player. AI himself says he can only be effective playing one way. Is that a plus or minus?
  10. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

For me, there are some players that have a talent that would transcend eras. Whatever it took to get into the League, they would have done it. It is not that Allen has never played defense, it is that he was allowed to skimp on defense.

If you build it, they will come. If you allow it, they will (or will not) do it.

Blaming Allen for taking advantage of his situation in Philadelphia is not something that I would attempt to argue, because he did it. Suggesting that he couldn't play in any era in the history of this League is something that we will go to the mat over because regardless of what media lackeys want to keep pushing, there are far greater coaches than Larry Brown will ever dream to be.

If you want to keep harping on what the Sixers did or didn't do and put it squarely on Allen or use it to say that he couldn't have survived on the Celtics, Pistons, Bulls or Dream Team, then you are shortchanging Allen and your own knowledge of basketball.

If you believe that there was a high percentage of players in the League during those times that only had to or was allowed to play one side of the ball, then I don't know what to tell you. 98% of the Sixers that Allen played with would not have even been in the League during those eras, nor would they have been as limited offensively as you suggest Allen is defensively.

Neither Allen, nor Kobe, nor LeBron, nor Michael in the early years would've had to score over 30 ppg, because they would have had four other guys that could contribute a reasonable amount of points themselves. Your very own Isaiah would've been a very different player on the 2009 Pistons than he was on the 1998 Pistons simply because in comparison, his teammates would suck. Hard.

Expansion has allowed players like the 2001 Sixers and yes, 2009 Pistons ride the coattails of players like Allen. Tayshaun would not be a starter on any of those teams. Richard would not be a starter on any of those teams. Rasheed would be and he would've actually lived up to full potential on those teams, because they wouldn't accept anything else. Antonio would be on the bench, pre injury Antonio would be sixth man.

You know, when I have the time, I don't mind debating Allen's career or playing style. So, responding to these type of posts don't faze me, I'll answer any question to the best of my understanding of the game and the NBA. But, this time, I want you or somebody else to answer a question for me:

Name three Sixers that Allen Iverson hindered when he played with them. Name three Sixers that once they got away from Allen Iverson, the League was finally able to see the undeniable, unbelievable talent that was overshadowed by Allen. Who has Allen Iverson's "selfish, ball hogging, no defense allowed" style of play prevented from turning into a top ten player? A top twenty player?

Although, I know it's a lie, I'll even suggest starting the list off with Jerry Stackhouse. Now, find me the other two.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

You are misconstruing my post. I am saying that AI isn't selfish. I am also saying that he can't play without the ball nor can he be an efficient player. The NBA that AI entered was not the 1 on 1 league that it became.

I don't think it is a matter of AI holding back a top 10 or 20 player or not being paired with great players. The Pistons were a pretty good team the last few years and Melo seems to have landed on his feet. I am sure the Olympic team had some talent on it also.

I am not saying he is the main culprit in all these situations and that there aren't other factors to consider, but can he really be the victim each and every time for 13 years?

Is there any player who ceased flourishing or who no longer could score, be it a 3pt shooter or big, once they stopped playing with AI and isn't that an indictment of this electric play maker who anyone in their right mind would give the ball to?
  12. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

God this is tedious. Just a big distraction so that certain people don't have to face the hard reality that this is a poor team and a poorer coach. Whatever merits the individual players have, they are being undone by their coach and their relative ages. Stuckey too young to be the starting pg, Iverson having his particular combination of an Achille's heel (pick one or all: no defense, dribbles too much, rotten shooting percentage, demands too many minutes, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc., pick your poison), Tay disappearing and deferring to everyone seemingly, Amir being a fouling machine, Dyess being too old, Sheed not being a true center and being too old and seemingly motivated only randomly.
    The bench doesn't get played appropriately.

It's beyond me how anyone can lay all this team's woe's at Allen Iverson's doorstep. But I'll give you this: what a perfect escape goat for those of "You that can't handle the Truth." Hey, maybe that's why Joe got Allen Iverson. He knew it was going to be a sucky season, he wanted to start breaking up the core, and he thought "Who's the most expensive player with a storyline that will insure that my sucky coach and my own sucky decisions about coaches will be hidden by this superstar's many vulnerabilities. And hey he's an expiring contract."

I no longer want AI to retire a Pistons. I love this forum and the Pistons and I don't want to read all this crap about Allen Iverson for whatever years. I'm ready for him to go somewhere else so I don't have to see him crucified several times a day in here. When he was at Denver I could follow him devotedly without dread of logging in to read about the Pistons. Hope he finds either a contender, or a team that he can just be himself. And I hope he gets a ring, but with all those faults that are so much more extreme than any other superstar in the league, I doubt it.

NOT.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This probably is not that far from the truth. I don't think Joe had high hopes for a season under rookie coach Curry, if he did I think he would have kept Chauncey who could have helped mitigate some of Curry's learning process.

I don't like to see the dumping on any one or two people. We win as a team and we lose as a team. It is very hard to be consistently successful without tremendous contributions from a lot of people.

Joe, Mike, most of the players have simply not done what it takes to be competitive. It's not about a last shot, or two missed free throws. It's about complete 48 minute games, the preparation, the talent level, the strategy and commitment.

I still have a glimmer of hope for this team. It is too talented to be this bad. I feel that if we could just catch a little lightning in a bottle, we could become a dangerous storm.
  14. max

max All-Star

Lot of hype this year about those Denver fans/forums.

I did like how AI took over the last game and almost won it. Seemed to say that if I am going to get tagged for this teams woes then I am going to take off the restraints and do it my way. If it was planned or not I don't know.

Yes Curry has been incompetent so far. I can't see Dumars thinking it would be this bad. Probably going to just let him play out the year at this point. Who knows - maybe they can turn it around.
  15. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

Are you saying AI is just not an efficient player period or that he can only be an efficient player with the ball in his hands??

Either way I've heard peopel say AI is an efficient player before and I don't know how a player can have a career scoring average as high as he does and be in the top 40 all time in career PER..but yet is still seen an inefficient...by fans at least. I've never heard a coach say he wasn't.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

You've never heard anyone refer to him as a volume scorer?

I don't know why people are so defensive about AI. I asked when has letting AI be AI paid dividends and people react like I'm saying to play Jordan at C and as your 5th option on offense. It seems like a valid question. We post for days about an expression on someone's face.
  17. Patron

Patron Second Round Draft Pick

Even Shaquille O'Neal said that Iverson is one of the five best players ever played the game when he was in his last year with LA.

Iverson's coaches in Philly, all of them also say that he is one of the greatest players of all time.

But a few pistons fans say that he is not even one of the best now. People who know basketball don't care those fans.

Is the truth so painful? We have one of the best in history but our team sucks. What about Curry and older pistons players? Hasn't the time passed for them?

I'm a fan of pistons but also a fan of nba and great players like bird, magic, jordan, shaq, iverson, kobe, lebron. I think we have to be a little bit objective.
  18. obey86

obey86 First Round Draft Pick

Anyone watching the game right now? It looked like Ben Wallace cut his hair..maybe I saw it wrong though I just saw a quick shot of him. Anyone else?
  19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Don't even bother. You won't get an answer to anything you're asking; just some gushing AI posts that sound more like what you say when you've been brainwashed by a cult than anything resembling logic. Blame anything else besides AI. Now all of a sudden the Pistons team sucks. It's a miracle they won games in previous years since these players are so bad. Placing blame on AI is the equivalent of blaming him for everything short of nuclear war. It can't be accepted that he could be part of the problem; major or minor. (qualifier; i'm not referring to every AI fan)

Question - Why is AI a bad defender?

Answer - Don't you know AI is going to the hall of the fame? Remember that time where Rip didn't guard his man?

Question - Why has AI's game had trouble translating into success?

Answer - AI is the scoring champion of the world, he can score on anyone . . . bla bla bla . . . the rest of the Pistons suck.

It's an exercise in futility. Don't waste your energy.
    Because it needed to be repeated.
  20. Patron

Patron Second Round Draft Pick

Yeah he cut his hair.