AJ or JMax Who Is Better At This Time?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Hate to say this but JMax is a tweaner. To small to play power forward and too slow to play small forward.

I think Amir's game is much more polished at this point.

2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Elton Brand has an inch on Jason and weighs even less and he is faring quite well at the 4 and sometimes the 5.

I don't see any reason that Jason couldn't develop into a Boozeresque type of talent if he continues to apply himself, and with a guy like Amir playing alongside him this would probably work out just fine.

I agree......yet I hope not.

It would be more preferential to me if it is less a matter of polish and more a matter of Amirs raw talent making him look this good.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Agreed. We need some upside around here. :)

4. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Maxiell was measured at 6'6.25" in shoes, with a 7'3.25" wingspan and a 8'11" vertical reach. Brand was measured at 6'8" in shoes with a 7'5" wingspan and a 9'2" vertical reach.

Brand is also a better athlete than Maxiell (I'd say a considerably better athlete but that would pull down the wrath of the never-negative nannies on me); he's significantly faster from endline to endline (had one of the fastest sprint times ever recorded for a power forward in pre-draft measurements) and is quicker laterally, unsurprising with his much sleeker frame.

Brand has three reliable post-up moves that he can counter off of, compared to Maxiell's one semi-reliable baseline jab-step/fadeaway jumper. Brand might be the best midrange jumpshooter in the NBA, while Maxiell, no matter what lee might claim, is not.

And Boozer is less athletic than Max but notably stronger, and has a very nice jumpshot, some nice post-up moves, a better ability to finish at the rim, and in particular has a better understanding of how to rebound.

Max could become an All-Star caliber, 20&10 big man, but that's not the possibility I'd bet on.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

All great in theory. Of course you should factor in the individual matchup. Brand can't score on Maxiell, and Brand can't defend Maxiell.

6. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Count me as a card carrying member of the "both" club. Amir looks to have a lil "3" in him and J-Max can handle that spot as well. If Dice can hold down the center spot and Delfino a backcourt spot, Amir may burst forth. Two complementary styles that gives us a whole new look. We are set for a long time at the forward spots.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

NBATV says the Pistons best 5 man unit is Billups, Prince, Rip, CWebb & Dice (+65)...
    Oh, this is a Brahma & Amir thread... goooo Brahmamir!

8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Don't get me wrong, I am only comparing Maxiell to Brand straight up, just in terms of size and strength. Even if your points are spot on-of Jason being possibly stronger than Brand but not as athletic and more athletic than Boozer but not as strong- that simply makes him his own guy, and doesn't necessarily preclude him from being in the same league as those two, only with his own different set of strengths and weaknesses.

I wouldn't be as inclined to bet on 20 and 10 as I would on an Okur-like 18 and 8.

9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

At first when JMax came into the league I thought he had some Sir Charles potential. But he still hasn't made Sir Charles "Fav 5", so the jury is out for now.

:hoops:

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hat I don't think Dice is the center for Detroit BBall.
    As long as Shaq, Duncan and Dirk are in the game we need a tall defensive center.
    "Dumars Rules"
    However Dice suits "Flips Rules"

11. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Tough call are we going on potential or by what they have shown in games? I will go by in game status.

I think Jmax is a beast, but lacks a few moves that could make him great. He has the heart there is no mistake in that. He has no fear when going to the rack and as Blaha says so many times during a game "they had to foul him to stop him" he is about the only player the Pistons have who has that in him. Do I think Flip trusts him enough for a 5 minute stretch in the playoffs?????? I don’t know.

Amir D league Johnson. I have not seen enough of the kid to form a true opinion. He is athletic as promised but sometimes looks awkward like he has not grown into his body yet. He definitely needs the PT to get better at his defensive rotations and be in better position for rebounds but that will be hard to come by. I do think he has way more upside but it may not be in a Pistons uni.

Jmax has gotten the minutes Jmax gets the vote.