AJ Prevented A New Pistons Record For Futility

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Jan 13, 2008.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

AJ's three point play at the very end of the game got us to 65 points. One more than our all time low since the 24 second clock was introduced.

It was quite clear from tonight that AJ is rusty as a 20 year old car in Saginaw. But he made some good moves to the basket and wound up with I believe his season high of 8.

It really is a shame that he missed the LVSL except for one game and the pre-season except for 1 game due to having stepped on Hayes's foot and twisting his ankle.

:hoops:

2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

He wouldn't fit into Flip's perimeter offense, so it's probably just as good he doesn't play. He's good when Flip throws out his garbage playbook, the egos get off the floor, and these guys are allowed to attack the rack. Otherwise, he'd just be a placeholder until Flip can get the starters back into the game.

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not to forget Afflalo's nice drive followed followed by a pass that lead to AJ's dunk. For an instant I forgot the horrible game I've seen before.

4. buddahfan

Other than C-Bill and Stuckey no one else on the regular rotation, has the ability to attack the rack with regularity, so they don't.

Stuckey is going through the learning curve on how to get his shot off when he attacks the rack. He will learn and eventually become very good at it though it might take 2 or 3 years.

5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It was close indeed. AJ had a pretty good showing on defense denying driving and passing lane and closing in on jump shooters. He was rusty on offense, as should be expected. I still don't understand Flip's developmental plan as it pertains to AJ.

6. buddahfan

I have tried to understand it and even have presented arguments filled with all kinds of rationalizations, but the fact is, is that I don't understand it either.

One of the reasons is that the media for the most part is pretty silent on the whole thing and has stopped asking Flipper about it, so very little if any information at all about why he is not playing more is coming out in the media that I read.

7. mikhail1973

Flip's only saying one thing - he's not ready. I am just wondering, I know I haven't been into basketball for that long, but what player in the history of NBA developed while sitting on the bench? Can anyone answer this?

8. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

No one. Fact is, Flip himself said that no one learns from just sitting on the bench, and yet he makes this kid sit on the pine in favor of two mediocre veterans. He plays small ball, at the risk of pissing off Rasheed, before ever considering letting the kid play and see what he can do.

9. buddahfan

That is what I thought. However, I agree with you that a player can't gain experience and improve if they don't play, especially in the NBA.

Now however I am wondering if the problem is that Flipper is only focusing on AJ's limitations, like not being 250 lbs, and AJ's mistakes that result mostly from inexperience rather than looking at AJ's total game and being smart enough to realize that even with AJ's current short falls, his talents will more than compensate even at this time, thereby making us a better team.

Like Flipper commented. AJ turned a lousy play into a good one. So maybe Flipper thinks that turning the lousy play into a good one was just lucky and is just focusing on the beginning of the play. What he doesn't see is that AJ has so much talent that he can make a lot more good things happen than bad.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There was an Amir interview on FSN after the game. Amir said that ankle injury really set him back and he is still trying to catch up. He said before the season that he was hoping to be a part of the regular rotation, but will just keep working hard and being patient. The kid should obviously be playing more. His attitude is awesome.

Prince went on and on about how good he thinks Amir is. Tay said Amir is one of the fastest in the entire league at running the floor, can play defense, rebound, etc. He said Amir has a great knack of finding the offensive boards. Flip said that Amir's NBDL success doesn't necessarily translate into being a role player in the NBA.

11. buddahfan

It doesn't translate into Flipper's playbook and 1st maxim of NBA offense. Thou shalt not turn the ball over, therefore we walk the ball up court and execute no plays that are not in the play book.

12. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

:pound: Nice words of encouragement coach.

:gun1:

13. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Amir's teammates seem to genuinely like the kid. Rip and Chauncey were singing his praises in the offseason as well. McDyess was quoted as saying "the sky's the limit for him." Sheed has commented on how much heart he thought he showed against Golden State earlier this year. Joe D obviously thinks very highly of him. But Flippy doesn't think he'll even be a good role player in the NBA? :cold:

Buddah - it's that rigid structure of our offense that makes it so predictable, which means it's easier to beat. Joe D has created a very diverse roster - Flippy needs to throw that mythical playbook of his away and start using some of that talent.

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is by far the most baffling thing to me. I just don't get it at all. I can't even try to understand Flip's reasoning, and then i start getting angry at Joe D for basically doing nothing. We need to find someone who's "in the know". There is no reason this kid should not be playing.

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Flip was talking more about offense when he made this comment. He was saying that just because Amir scores 40 points in an NBDL game doesn't mean that will be his same role off the bench for the Pistons.

16. mikhail1973

Which is fine. Wait a minute, what exactly is his role? Polishing the wood? :stirthepot:

17. buddahfan

1. AJ rarely if ever scored 40 points in a game in the DBDL, that was Mejia. Maybe Flipper has the two confused and thinks that AJ is Mejia and vice versa.

2. AJ has a lot more ability than just scoring.

18. mikhail1973

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

How about that?

19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Glad someone said it, but wish it more than a sentence at the end of an article.

Flip needs to do a better job with the bench in general. I remember at the beginning of the year when he said he would let them run so DO IT already.

I would definitely credit his defense before offense though.

20. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

It shouldn't be, and I think Amir knows that. We don't need Amir to score - we need him to grab boards and hustle. It's not like the vets pass him the ball much anyway.