Alex Acker at 2 guard next year

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Mar 16, 2007.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

According to Blakely, Alex Acker is making a name for himself in Europe these days. On another note a couple of guys who I served with had an opportunity to see a few games in which Acker was playing, they feel that he is definitely the real deal. One of my friends is a homer, the other one is anti-pistons all the way, however, he made a stong statement for Akers playing ability. Hopefully I can get them to send some pics of Acker doing his thing.

I will be on TDY status in Europe for about two weeks next week and hope to see a game or two if they are still playing.

If seems as though Blakely over at Mlive feels that Acker playing at Small Guard best suits his abilities and skill set.

If Mr. Aker is the real deal, then we will have ourself a bonafide backup SG who can shoot, play defense and drive the paint.
  2. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Army, I've seen half a dozen of Ackers games in the Euroleague and he has played well. Blakely is probably taking all his reporting from this very forum.

He can hit the outside shot, but his strength is driving to the basket, and because he is a lefty gives him a little added advantage to unsuspecting opponents. He draws quite a lot of fouls too which is always handy.

He is a good passer and knows how to find open team-mates, so he should be able to bring a little bit of everything to his position, which is SG. His defense is pretty good as well, he is quick and athletic, and I've seen him make a few highlight-reel blocks.

I would like to see him rejoin the Pistons next season for sure.
  3. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

How Acker fits will play a part in Joe’s strategy this summer – particularly on draft night. Obviously, the biggest threat to future success is the possible loss of Billups – either to free agency or injury, etc. Consequently, I think the first pick should be a point guard (if it makes sense given who’s left on the board.)

But we’re also thin behind Hamilton. Delfino can back up the 2 and 3 spots, but he’s better suited for the 3 and he’s only under contract for 1 more year. So a young athletic 2 would also be a useful addition to the team. Maybe that’s Acker. But maybe there’s a 2 on the draft board that Joe can’t pass up – then Acker would be back on the outside again.

I certainly haven’t seen enough of Acker to know whether he’s a gem or just another emergency backup who’ll never get into a game. We really need another guard that can actually contribute.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

His D is not that good. He can't stay in front of anybody. At least as of the summer league. Could he have improved over in Europe-not that I heard in any reports so far.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Delfino's best position is shooting guard. He is plenty quick enough for it, and handling the ball is his best strength. Considering how Flip uses Delfino though, I can see how anyone would get the impression that he is more a small forward. Thats just a bad coach coaching badly.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I agree that delfino can play the 2 well. He can D up on 2-3's very well.
    I really believe in having 1 player backup BOTH spots to get decent minutes. Decent minutes = better production = happier player. Delfino can backup the 2-3 someone else can backup the 1-2.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Based on what I've seen, he rebounds well and blocks a high number of shots for a 2 guard. His wingspan is ridiculous. He should be a good defender... but can't say for sure until we see him against NBA starters.
  8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Acker might have been defending point guards in Summer League, as part of the experiment to see if he could transition to the role. His length and left-handedness (better for contesting a right-handed shot) should make him capable of covering all but the biggest shooting guards.
  9. Slippy

I think he was guarding the 2. I remember watching cleaves and blalock playing defense on the opposing points in SL.

if he did get burnt, it was chasing his guy over the screen
  10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

you wrote everything I wanted to write. So true- Fino should get his 15-20 minutes at the 2 or 3 spot. Acker can play behind him, since I still doubt he is that good as many of us want to believe.
    For draft night I'd love JoeD to get a young, hungry PG who drives with reckless abandon and opens spaces.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2X, at this point, Acker is the much more accomplished professional player.

He is "the man" on his team in Europe. And that is a very good team (easily top 10 in Euroleague).

I'm not saying that he should be ahead of Delfino. I'm saying you can play them together. Acker is a much more aggressive scorer off of the dribble than CD.
  12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

still, he still has to prove he can establish himself in the NBA- just like every player who enters the league from Europe. I hope he's good, but I don't like how some users think of our overseas players as the real deal although they've failed to establish themselves in the NBA.
    If he can be a decent 2 it would be great- than he can share minutes with Delfino and finally Tay can play less. Still, I hope Fino will stay also if he remains a bench player although I doubt it somehow.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think Acker is a lefty. Am I wrong?
  14. roscoe36

Acker played very good in college. Very good at the Summer League.

Very good in the D-League.

And now he is one of the top guards in Europe.

I'm not dreaming that he has been proving himself at each level, step by step. A lot of guys come into this league without having established themselves at more than one level.

I think if you saw him play 2X, you would be somewhat impressed.
  15. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

come to think of it, i think he may in fact be ambi-dexterous. just looking at some video highlights now.

when dribbling he definitely uses his left as the main hand, but he shoots right-handed. interesting.

nice pick up tashawn.
  16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

As far as I remember, he didn't play that well in the summer league and also not that good in the DL. Surely not as strong as AJ for instance and AJ isn't getting his minutes anyway, so how should Acker be?
    If he had played that good, why did JoeD send him to Europe although we have a shortage at the guard positions?
  17. roscoe36

Joe did not send him to Europe. Alex got a lucrative deal and playing time, and all we had to offer was a smaller deal at that time.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I don't need to see him in front of NBA starters, as he already proved he can't stay in front of people in the summer league.
  19. Slippy

Lee, maybe he can come from behind and block shots like Tay
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He did? Wasn't he guarding point guards there?

Acker is 6'5", so he is in between Chauncey's height and Rip's height.
    And Chaunce is sort of a big PG.

From what I have seen, he has a nice agressive driving style and rebounds hard for his position like Delfino.

Here are his highs for the year with Greece:

Points- 25 (double digits in 16/19 games)
    Rebounds- 13 (he has got 7 or more boards in 8/19 games)
    Assists- 9 (3 or more in 8/19 games)
    Steals- 4 (multiple steals in 8/19 games)
    Blocks- 1 (but he has done it 7 out of 19 games)

With his team winning, it's hard to find anything to criticize.