All Free Agent Transactions (NBA + Pistons here)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 30, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I don't agree with the pessimistic view of the article. Of course, only time will show who is correct. But Joe managed to bring in top FA shooting guard and one of the top available bigs. I am sure he's been exploring trade possibilities and didn't want to be left holding the bag.

4. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Did not see this coming..and now Kaman becomes less of an option.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Grizzlies Trade Q-Rich For Z-Bo

Does David Lee need a home now? :D

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

6. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

I think I like Zaza more... is he a FA?

7. mikhail1973

I believe so, but I don't think he's more than a backup.

8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

9. mikhail1973

How do you know what was tried? And what are better available alternatives out there?

Besides, Pistons got the best FA shooting guards and one of the better available bigs on the cheap.

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It would have been better to probably wait till next year if we were intent on using it on FA's

And i remember others speculating it was about the possibility of the cap going much lower and being in position to make deals with other teams that needed to sell.

This is about what i though would happen though. Actually it's a little worse b/c of the CV signing.

11. mikhail1973

Next year there will be lots of teams with Capp Spayce as well as D-town not being the favorite destination for the top talent.

12. Krowe

Krowe First Round Draft Pick

Zach Randolf was just traded to the Grizzlies for Quinton Richardson. Blake Griffin is now a starter.

13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Doesn't mean we have to settle which it feels like we did. Exploring options through trade and being able to absorb salary is a great asset.

I mean this is it for the next 5-6 years (i know they can be traded, but still) We just signed a 2nd and 3rd tier player that don't play defense and used almost all our cap space.

14. mikhail1973

We'll have to see how these guys develop before calling these signings.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

These sentiments sound awfully familiar:

Do y'all remember when Joe signed a journeyman draft bust just because he had 1 decent year in Minnesota, and it wasn't even the whole year, it was like half a year, and 1 playoff performance, where they couldn't even get out of the 1st round, Remember that guy? Who was that guy? I can't remember......

Remember that same year he traded our toughest player, our #1 scorer, our starting SG, our former scoring title winner.....for a SG that was waaaaay too skinny and couldn't play defense, I mean there HAD to be a reason why Michael Jordan didn't want him anymore??? His name is slipping me, who was he again?

Oh and remember when Joe signed a washed up PF, who's knees never would hold up again, who'd lost all his hops, was now just an often injured has been.....AAAAAAND HE GAVE HIM THE FULL MLE?!?!?!?!

Damn it I just can't seem to remember who these guys were. Does anyone remember if they turned out to be any good?

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's a little how I feel too. I don't dislike either one of these guys, but I just don't have that giddy feeling like Joe just pulled a fast one on his fellow GM's. I feel like we are going to score more, allow more, and not really be a contender... even if we pull off the Bosh trade.

I really hope to be proved wrong however. If nothing else, it will be interesting seeing all the new players.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think the thing they have going for them is that they're not paying a 2nd and 3rd tier player top dog type money.

I'm going back and forth. I think I am more bummed about the Stuckey, Rip and Tay trifecta rolling out there again than I am about these signings. They fired Flip yet were still pinned to one side of the floor against good defenses. This kind of feels the same, change for change.

At least they're the front runners for 6th man of the year.

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With Zach going to Memphis, that takes Kaman and Camby off the Piston wish man list of bigs.

Who is left besides Chandler?

Also looks like Ariza does not want the Laker homeboy discount and the Cavs are wooing him. I guess we don't have enough money left in the till to sign him....but I would hate for him to land in Cleveland. Wonder if they can afford Ariza and Sideshow Bob???

19. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I'm cool with this.

We sign young good players with just enough upside. Maybe even enough to be borderline all-stars. Although I hope that we swap Rip for a defensive center to play along CV. (Chandler)

Age 24, and age 26. That's a nice young core, but we're still needing of our alpha-dog. We'll have time, and we have trade assets. We're not going to compete with the behemoth top of the EC next year anyway. We have our future core in place.

20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Yes! A major piece for the Pistons. As I watched Gordon in the playoffs, I kept saying, Joe, are you noticing? My Laker friend told me, wow, if you guys get Gordon?

The Pistons have a number 3 pick who plays close to that. He can score from anywhere with or without the ball. He can score even when the other team keys on him unlike Rip and Billips. Start naming guys who can do that: Wade, Le Bron, Kobe, Duncan (when he was younger), Shaq (when he was younger), maybe Pierce, Garnett. Not Dirk, not Carter, not Paul, not McGrady, not Amare, not Bosh, not Redd, not Turgolu, not even Carmelo. This is a major coup. The guy is 26. Prime.

Rip (I love his contribution) needs to be traded for a big. The team is not complete yet.