All Mitch, All The Time

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, Sep 21, 2005.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Well, they say that even bad coverage is good if your name's spelled right. But award-winning Detroit Free Press profit center Mitch Albom might disagree, however, after discovering the following blog:

http://mitchalbomisaterriblewriter.blogspot.com/

Just thought I'd share for your amusement.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Funny...this guy is a tad harsh on Mitch but I have to agree with him on his books. Five People You Meet in Heaven.....strictly a third grade level sap-fest...but a million people have told me they love it. His sports writing is a bit over the top but I like it. Of course the things I admire most about Mitch are that he is not a procrastinator..he gets his articles written early...and his sense of style. His hair ear flaps are an inspiration for a lot of folks with large ears.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How did you find my blog?

Seriously, do you guys look for Larry Brown info on the net all of the time? It may be time to get some separation... :rolleyes: :)
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I've always enjoyed Mitch Albom. He somehow brings that real-life human element into his sports writing for me.

Sounds like there are plenty of people who can't stand him, though. I guess that's what helps make life so interesting.
  5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I saw it mentioned today on truehoop.com.

Eyes & ears everywhere, my man.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

needs help

This guy's infatuation with Mitch Albom cannot be healthy. Seriously, how could you invest that much time, thought, and energy thinking about ways trash a sports writer? Get a life, buddy!
  7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Funny thing is, Mitch NEVER has anything bad to say about him. :)
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good stuff. I feel sorry for that guy (blog owner) getting hate mail. Then again, you should see the hatemail I get. ;)

Albom is a faker. When he got nabbed for publishing that made up MSU article, I was hoping he would get heavily sanctioned by the paper.

Yeah, he brings a human side to the stories. Mitch writes fantasy and human interest, not sports. He pulls heartstrings and promotes opinions. Not landing scoops or doing any hard reporting.
  9. Darth Tater

LanierFan: LOL! P.S. How come you don't use one of those cool Bob a dob avatars? I saw two of them in the selection .:)

BillLaimbeer: I agree!

Micro: yes, thats true. His writing is more human interest about sports people rather than "sports reporting". Still, "a rose by another name would smell as sweet" ( people were quoting Willie the Shake in some posts yesterday so I felt compelled to do that).
  10. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Good Idea.

By the way, if you're looking for avatars, there are some insane Japanese sites that feature Pistons as cartoon characters. Some of them are impossible to navigate without being able to read Japanese, which I can't. But if you look at this link you'll get the gist of it ... including the greatest Rasheed Wallace illustration ever.

http://wc4.worldcrossing.com/webx?14@@.1ddfb99d
  11. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Dude that's hillarious the one of LB looks like he is sitting there trying to fill his Depends up.
  12. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

japanese avatars

cool pics. Thanks for the link!
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

There's some pretty funny $hit in that blog. I think he's gunning for Mitch's job.

Have you ever heard Mitch's afternoon talk show? He has a tendency to cut-off callers that get in his face over his opinions.

My take on him is that he is trying to be Rush Limbaugh's democratic equilvalent...it aint workin as far as I can tell. I'd love to see Mitch & Rush debate any issue...Rush would tear him to shreds.

Mitch's backbone only goes halfway up.
  14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hahaha

Thats because he writes his articles before the events happen!:eyebrows:

Seriously though, that link is funny as hell. But that guy should really let his real feelings out. Its not healthy to keep everything bottled up inside.
  15. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Man can we upload those pics for avators? They're hilarious/awesome.
  16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

By the way...

I think that dude is suffering from a severe case of hateritis! That's all that is. I worry about people like that. :loco: Mitch might need to look into a restraining order if he hasn't already.

Personally, I like Mitch. I enjoyed watching him on the Sports Reporters (Does that show still come on?) I thought he represented Detroit well. Sure, his writing style is not of the conventional sports columnist but I welcome his diversity. I think his writing style is quite clever and for me, his column is synonomous with the Detroit sports scene. Mitch Albom makes his share of mistakes, but hey he's our mistake...and I'm glad to have him. Obviously, I'm not in the minority....

Which poses an interesting question...

Who is your favorite Michigan sports writer and why?

Although he appears to not be the most popular person in this forum...lol..my vote is actually for Mitch.

I've been following his column every since I was a young buck and have always found his articles to be slightly more polished and witty than his competitors. No, I would never read a Mitch Albom article to determine what should be the strategic plan for rebuilding or the X's and O's of the gridiron. I wouldn't even read his column to get a prediction of what teams to watch for in an upcoming season. I read Mitch Albom to understand the emotion of another fan who shares my passion for Detroit sports. I think he does a good job of capturing the magic and the feel of the average Detroit fan and he does it in a way that is engaging, creative and integrates pop culture. I know when I read a Mitch Albom article without looking at the author. I don't think I can say the same for any other Detroit sports columnist. He gets my vote...who gets yours?
  17. Darth Tater

Well said. I Vote for Mitch. :thumb:
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I vote for ASB (the only thing good about the Mlive forum) ...his articles are informative. He doesn't fudge tha facts and seems to actually take his job seriously.
  19. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I don't have a favorite. Most are substandard in my opinion, a sad combination of sloppiness, egotism and sentimentality. When Albom is engaged and genuinely interested in a sports topic, he's breathtaking. But that state of mind is increasingly rare for him, so he resorts to gimmick writing with lots of repetitive tricks. He probably needs a career change so he can stay interested.

My old favorite was Charley Vincent, a no-nonsense guy who didn't overwrite or worry about drawing attention to himself. He was a real good fit for the Detroit audience and didn't back away from uncomfortable criticism.

But ain't nobody within shouting distance of the great W.C. "Bill" Heinz.