All roads lead to Chauncey

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Oracle, Jun 3, 2007.

1. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

I say sign/ trade him to someone looking for veteran leadership with a couple of young pieces to spare. Here's a few possibilities:

Minnesota: M. James and R. Foye (Garnett, Billups, Davis, Blount not too bad)

Boston: D. West and G. Green (Pierce, Jefferson, Billups, Gomes sound pretty awesome)

Denver: Blake, Hilario (Could AI, Billups and Anthony possibly coexist?)

Golden State: Ellis and Pietrus (Davis and CB as the ultimate small-ball back-court?)- could we get JRich somehow?

Philly: Miller and Carney

Any other ideas out there?
  2. chipi

chipi Second Round Draft Pick

Contrary to what Max said, I think having a competent backup forced him to stay sharp. He had to remain sharp or loose minutes to someone else who could do the job. Our friend Lee has claimed for a long time that bringing in Arroyo forced Chauncey to improve his assist #s, and I am starting to warm up to that point. I never could figure out why Joe would weaken his own bargaining position by not keeping Arroyo or bringing in any other capable replacement. And Chauncey has made it clear enough - at least to me - that he does tend to get overboard with his own sense of worth to this team. The Webber thing was an absolute shame.

The other point is that we have always loved to claim that we win as a team - but we really have fostered a two tier system - the starters (and Dyce) - and the 'scrubs'. The last few seasons have made it quite clear that there is no way we can win without the entire team - which includes the bench - and this has nothing to do with the quality of the bench, but just the mindset of the people in power (the coaches, the starters and the GM). If there is any contending team which needs a full roster of contributing players, it is this team.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I would like to take credit for this theory. I'm pretty sure I was first, just not the loudest. Billups entire demeanor changed when Arroyo was around. The A/TO ratio was awesome in the 2005 playoffs and the first half of 2005/6 regular season.

I will be unhappy if his contract starts at more than $10 million, unless he is willing to take a front loaded deal that declines over time.

We've got raises coming to every single player that will carry over to next season. Losing Davis trims $3.5 million off, and Billups can have that.

Joe doesn't really believe in back pay. I don't think Chauncey is going to get rewarded for winning the Finals MVP in 2004, or being an MVP candidate last year. The Pistons don't work on a "what have you done for me lately" premise.

It's more like, "What more can you do than I am paying you for".

That's the key to cost effective team building.
  4. max

max All-Star

Its a good theory.

Check this out.

In the 04 Conf Finals Billups played 37.7 MPG and Prince 29.8

In 07 Billups 43.8 and Prince 44.0

Prince and Billups were the 2 most off players. Can we blame it all on tired legs?
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    We sure can. Add to that all the extra games they played comparatively to most of the other clubs.
  6. max

max All-Star

They looked spent in that series.

Things like this should be looked at before making any rash decisions. I would hate to deal these guys and then run into them later on a team that keeps their mins under control.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We have Amir and Delfino as backups for Tay. If we resign Chauncey the Pistons must get a very good backup for him. I say the Pistons should draft a penetrator.

These guys must be played though.
  8. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

One problem is Delfino is not a SF. He should be played at the SG and given major minutes to trim Rips minutes.
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Amir isn't really a PF either, he is a SF. So we draft a PG, put Delfino at the 2 and Amir at the 3.

The problem is the big men off the bench. J Max is undersized, but I guess that he would be fine because he can provide a lot of energy.

Joe needs to make a move to get a big man. If he drafts a big man he needs to make a move to get a PG.
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think this hits the nail right on the head. CB does not push the ball. Will not push the ball. Just think back to nearly every possession when Brown was here. Larry probably hurt his bladder running down the sideline windmilling his arm trying to get Billups to hurry up and get the ball downcourt. Larry didn't necessarily want to fastbreak, but he wanted to get into the offense before the defense got set.

That went away with CB and Flip. The Pistons faced the best defense the other team had to put against them pretty much every possession because they always had time to set up. Hunter and Defino at least pushed the ball over halfcourt.

This is CB's main problem. He wants to run the offense and calls plays every single time down the court. The result is no easy hoops, no rushing of the defense, fewer free throws, etc.
  11. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Amir has been moved to the 4, something which he is growing into and looked just fine vs Al Jefferson and K Perkins (two monsters) in that Celts game to finish off the year.

When next year opens he'll have the same measurements as Sheed... book it.

And Sheed is physically the ideal PF.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Okay. So we draft a PG, Delfino at the 2, J Max as a 3, Amir at the 4. Joe needs to get a slasher. So if we get a slasher J Max can just be an energy guy. Should we bring Samb up?
  13. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I take it you are looking at the Bench Brigade/2nd unit?

How many teams have a 'true center'? Maybe bring back Dale Davis on the cheap? Or draft a 4 year college guy as a plodder with the 2nd round pick?
  14. roscoe36

Fantastic post.
  15. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

The LB sideline thing was mostly to avoid 8 second counts.

I don't think LB was that excited to 'get into the offense' when he wanted the shots coming with less than 5 on the shot clock every possession.
  16. roscoe36

The difference is that LB wanted the ball to move. Not to wait for the perfect pass.
  17. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Preaching to the choir.

I'd rather load up the post 75% of the time and go 3 yards and a cloud of dust.
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

That's why we need a backup PG out of the draft who has the opposite style of Chauncey. That would help this team greatly.
  19. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I agree. I like Acie Law but for the fact he's more of a grinder change of pace and not a 'blow by' kind of penetrator. We need to find a pseudo Tony Parker that will wreak havoc on opposing defenses.

We need to take on speed and explosion, especially in the 1, 2, 3 positions.

We have ample explosion in the frontcourt with Amir/Max/Dyess/Sheed (I'm assuming at least 3 of those 4 will be back)
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Despite Chauncey's struggles, he was still +109 in the Playoffs, which was the best on the Pistons. When he was on the court, we did well.