All roads lead to Chauncey

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Oracle, Jun 3, 2007.

1. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Strongly agree.

We need to keep him unless we could get something monstrous in a sign and trade.

He's still top 5 at his position and maybe the best spot up shooting PG in the game today.

We really need that 'Vinnie Johnson' 3rd guard that can come in and fully absorb 20-30 mins a night with virtually no drop off.

I just hope Chauncey doesn't get insane with his contract demands. Does it really matter if you make 9 mill or 12 mill a year? Honestly? Wouldn't it be better to win more and take the endorsements that winning brings?
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I could be misinterpreting what you've written, so bear with me.

No doubt in my mind, Larry didn't want a run and gun team. But equally no doubt in my mind, he didn't encourage his guards to push the ball over halfcourt just to avoid eight second violations.

He wanted an opportunistic offense. He wanted one that was aggressive and took rather than one that sat back and waited to see what was available. I really think that's what was lost with Flip. By not at least pushing to see if anything good might happen and then settling into the halfcourt offense, Flip's offense lost a number of easy / easier hoops each game.

That was o.k. during the regular season when defenses aren't as tight and it's harder to load up to stop one team. But in the playoffs, losing those easier hoops meant that every basket scored got harder. The degree of difficulty went up, and I think that's why you saw Pistons offensive meltdowns two consecutive years in the playoffs.

Could be why the Wolves never got all that far either, but I didn't watch them enough to be sure.
  3. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I think he is still an upper level PG but the Pistons need a change of pace backup. CB for all his ability is not good defensively, beating anyone off the first step and finishing at the hole.
  4. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I mostly agree with you, we are just getting into semantics here.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that a big part of why he was +109, despite struggling on offense, was because he does do some things right on defense. His strength is his weakness. You can't be a big, strong guard and still have that Tony Parker quickness and AI's ability to steal the ball. CB doesn't get pushed around, is smart with his fouls, and presents big mismatches on the other end (ie can wear his man out and get them in foul trouble and off the court).

So, I would say that we should really focus on getting that prototype PG as a backup... not as a replacement for Chaunce. And if you are going to groom another PG, then what better player for them to play behind and learn from than Chauncey? Think about that.
  6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

At this point we have two different teams. We have an older, slower and methodical starting line up and a bench full of athletes that don't quite fit into one position. Are we thinking that we are going to go into next year like this?

I posted earlier that we could start and end games with our mature and methodical starting line up and just plain wear teams down in the middle with our athletes.

This is one reason I was surprised we got rid of Arroyo. I thought he was the change of pace we needed off the bench to run with Fino, Max and AJ.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nash
    Iverson
    Tony Pizzle
    Deron Williams
    B Dizzle
    J Kidd
    CP3

Bubble players
    Ford
    Hinrich
    White Chocolate (when healthy)
    Mardy Collins

Best spot up PG? Steve Nash. Check out the FT and 3P %s.

We have him. His name is Flip Murray. We cut his minutes down drastically in the playoffs.

Normally Joe structures contracts with raises. This is the league standard. Since raises are percentage based, $9 or 12 million to start is a massive difference over the length of a contract. Unless you are talking about average salary over the contract.

If Boobie outplays you for less than a million, does it make sense to invest $9 million to that matchup?

Larry was specifically brought in to speed up Rick Carlisle's offensive style of plodding stall ball. It wasn't about jacking up treys or trying to fastbreak at the expense of defense each set, it was, as you wrote, about pressuring the other team by attacking them before they were set, and then rocking the ball side to side until the defense became unravelled.

It was beautiful basketball.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We don't have two game plans, and we rarely play enough guys in similar minutes to have two platoons.

With Flip, it's the one system or bust. And bust is what we keep drawing.
  9. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

see horrible replies above
  10. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Chauncey would be good averaging about 30 minutes per game. That way he's fresh, he can have legs to make his shots. He needs to stop trying to draw fouls at the end of the game. He needs to drive and dish. Where did Rip's curl play go in the playoffs we'll never know.
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

At least we have a higher draft pick this year to get a good PG to back up CB, assuming he stays.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It would be nice to have a little continuity. Flip, CB, Amir, Sheed, Fino.
    Tay and Rip can't handle Bron, maybe Kobe can?
  13. Oracle

Oracle First Round Draft Pick

VERY true, but there's more. After watching an aging Baron Davis and a young Deron Williams not only take people off the dribble, but finish above the rim absorbing MAJOR contact, I knew Chauncy game was at a much lower level athletically.

I don't think I've seen Chauncy dunk the ball all year. Is he even capable of dunking? Even Flip Murray had that major slam over Captn Kirk. I think he's still rising(lol).
  14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Chauncey gets fatigued easily. I know it's his job and he should play a lot of minutes, but he can't. Get a PG to back him up, when Mike James was here we all saw what Chauncey did that playoffs.
  15. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

Well it all leads to officiating and how the NBA Pampere's superstar!!!! i guess Joe D has to wake up and accept the fact that detroit basket is well gone NO MORE HARD NOSE DEFENSE..in the NBA you cant play with fire and emotion nowadays..Players should be like robots..NBA darlings get the D wade TREATMENT it sucks..they get millions without bleeding..imagine they score 30 points PPG but almost half of it on the free throw line..it sucks i guess im a pistons fan thats why im bitter..its not sheed or anybody else. Its the NBA organization itself, so for david and STU turn NBA basketball to netball wherein theres no more Body Contact..
  16. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    A couple of things. First of all, Baron Davis is only 28 and missed lots of games in his career, so he's still very very fresh. Second, Chauncey was never athletic or a high jumper. And third, he played more minutes in the last 5 years, without a capable backup for the most part, than any other PG in the NBA. Anyone would get tired.
  17. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

And has a paper mache knee.

Baron is one of the few guys in the league that usually schools Chauncey head to head.

I have great respect for him and would love him on the Pistons, but I'd rather have Chauncey when I'm trying to win a title or get a good seed.
  18. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Agree, CB is not much of athlete. His flopping drives me nuts. I think getting a 2nd PG who is talented will force CB to elevate his game due to competition. I am crossing my fingers that Joe doesn't blow this draft. A good PG and PF/C, and I'm happy. Wouldn't mind a SF to limit Tay's limits. Just depends on what available in the draft and FA.
  19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum