Almost another championship

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Hughes was a (1st) NBA All Defensive team member before, I don`t think West nor Smith ever was.

I believe the Cavs gave up some rebounds also losing Gooden and Hughes.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hughes was a lot of things.

That is how he ended up with that huge contract.

It's tough to compare these things because they are getting more rotation players than they gave up. All these guys played different minutes per game and it was under very different circumstances. It's like comparing apples and bananas.
  3. Dlev59

I agree.

You started throwing out the stats, not me........:MusicBigGrin:

I just don`t think the Cavs will be a threat to the Pistons, with or without their new additions.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You would have said the same thing last year at this time too, I would imagine.

The trouble with the Cavs is that they have that one really good player. It is very tempting to look at all their other pieces and see that we have the advantage. But, the tough part is figuring how much you are going to allocate to Lebron and how he is going to make these new guys better than they really are.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agreed TaS. I was thinking the same thing.
  6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

This current Pistons team will do what it did last year and flame out. When the going gets tough Flip will lean on the starters for heavy minutes. None of the bench guy's with the exception of Max have playoff experience. We need a slasher/ scorer or a low post presence that can gets some boards.
  7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

the biggest threat in the cav/detroit series last year was detroits mindset..... not the the cav team.... sorry they weren't any good and we saw that in the finals...

this year there still no good, doesn't mean we'll beat them because till we show that our mind set is "right" in the playoffs we just won't know.

On paper though, I like our team alot more then I did 12 months ago.

Till the playoffs starting I am a boston fan though i want them to have that number one seed and let the media keep putting our guys down... they must be humbled daily is seems
  8. Dlev59

I certainly would have said the same thing last year and I am sure you and almost every other Piston fan would have also.

I believe the Pistons learned from last years debacle and would never repeat the same mistakes by letting that really one good player beat them. It was a fluke last year, that is why the Cavs made this move because they knew they couldn`t get by Detroit or Boston with their previous roster.

Have the Cavs improved? Yes. Are they now a championship team? IMO, no, not even Eastern Conference champions.
  9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I am not sure Cavs improved against Pistons. Hughes caused lots and lots of problems for Rip and Chauncey defensively, Gooden was good on the offensive glass (I know Ben is probably going to hurt us there too, but Gooden is a player that requires defensive attention and Ben is not really, in addition Ben can't guard Sheed). Wally is a liability defensively, and Chauncey is going eat up West alive. Yeah, Cavs add some offense, but their defense is not going to be as good, and that is a huge benefit to Pistons.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dlev,
    Let's hope you are right.

I'm just trying to stay within the pessimistic name of this thread.

You seem to be making posts for the "Yet another championship" thread.
  11. Dlev59

Wow.

You are right, didn`t realize that!!!!!:sssh:
  12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    In the heat of the posting, anything can happen. :stirthepot:
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

For a good experiment you need a control. That's the Pistons.
    Let's not beat the guys up too much for blowing games like the Bucks, especially if they turn around do the Suns.
    -
    If they get punked by the Suns...start back over with Eyes#1.
    -
    This might be the last year together for this starting 5 and their coach. Especailly if they get punked before the ECF.
  14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

For a control, you need a stable point of reference. You have the last few years for that estimate. Nothing has changed. You have added a catalyst, via the bench. During the playoffs, these rookies will speed up or slow down the interaction, but not enter into it.

The end result will be solely on JD's shoulders and getting close (over a duration) might be good enough. You can build a mighty fine reputation for going this route and much of life ask no more. Those of disappointment might ask for more, so one might be best to get religion.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I would say the minimal advances made by the bench via the coach still makes the Pistons the control group.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Detroit Blew out the Bulls in the playoffs last season because they feared them. Chicago looked impressive dispatching the heat in 4 games. So our Pistons threw the switch and dispatched the Bulls quickly. The switch was turned off when Cleveland came to town. Even in the first two victories, there were signs for concern. Cleveland took advantage of the PLAYERS not taking the Cavs seriously, and [STRIKE]knicked[/STRIKE] knocked us out. I expect this season, we will find another team in the playoffs who we will allow to walk all over us.
  17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

When the going gets tough, this team needs to be patient and run the offense - instead of launching up jump shots.
  18. Dlev59

That seems to be the difference between the Spurs and the Pistons. I watched the Spurs/Hornets game last night and what stood out to me was the way the Spurs backcourt (Ginobili & Parker) attacked the basket. They were relentless in attacking, the 3`s they hit later were just icing on the cake.

One play that sticks in my mind is when Manu grabbed the rebound with one hand, went coast to coast, and drew the foul. Of course this was in crunch time.

Also, the ball movement displayed was incredible.

The Pistons can play the exact same way the Spurs did last night, they just choose not to.
  19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Spurs have a better coach and one that stays on their azz. I would say the Spurs players respect their coach much more than the Pistons players respect their coach.

Brown stayed on the guys. Flip is a totally different personality and I think it was bad miscalculation on Joe's part to hire him. If you want a guy who can get you a lot of regular-season wins and get you fairly deep into the playoffs, then Flip is your guy. But there is a gulf of excellence between a guy who can do that and guys like Popovich and Brown.

Flip still has a lot to learn in terms of using his whole roster and making in-game adjustments. I just don't think other coaches worry about getting outcoached when it comes to Flip. In the playoffs, that's a problem.
  20. Dlev59

I am going to forget about the last two years with Flip and grade him on what he does this year.

I hear what you are saying, and I agree, however, this is another year and if Flip hasn`t learned from his past mistakes I believe he will be gone and next year we will begin the Van Gundy era..........:stirthepot: