Almost another championship

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You read the papers this morning and hear how thin the Pistons are up front after the trade of Brezec. They got 6'7 Max and 6'9 AJ after that, at least until they sign some dinosaur off the street. That wouldn't be that big of a deal except for the fact that there's a good chance they'll have to go against CLE (Bron Bron) and BOS (Pierce) to get out of the East. They have one player capable of guarding him in Prince.

Let's be positive and say they get by the Cavs. They would probably need at least 6 games to win the series. How many minutes is Tay playing going into the BOS series, 44,46? I can practically see the missed shots, the air balls, stunting potential runs while the announcers say things like, 'Wow, Prince continues his cold shooting!' and showing his 3-19 cumulative shooting totals. There's Tay backing his man down in the post, taking the shot clock to 1 missing another 2 footer. (Luckily, they'll probably only run that play 15-20 times in a row to close out games.)

Who else can help guard those guys, Rip or CB? Considering the 3 of them seem to tire more quickly that my grandpa, I am not considering that area a strength either.

Maybe they're just hoping that they won't have to play them both? That doesn't really mesh with Dumars' big "No Excuses" speech from the start of the year, does it? These guys aren't rich by accident. Trot out some rookies or pseudo rookies and most will only see the positives of what they may become ignoring the structural deficiencies of this team. If Flip Murray were a rookie we'd be buzzing about his explosiveness, his ability to get to and finish at the rack. Put a few years on him and the verdict comes back differently. I guess this is a long way of saying, it is tough to figure who this team is built to beat.

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Good points. This especially comes to light in close games or when trying to come back. Both Parker and Ginobli can get easy hoops at the end of games. When DET was trying to come back in Milwaukee down 3, you could see the difficulty they were having trying to score a lay-up so the could foul. That shouldn't be a problem now that they got Juan Epstein.

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I'd love if they brought Van Gundy in here.

4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    You mean the offensive genius?

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Mostly, bad ideas here. I diss Dyess as much as anyone, but you know, as a backup center, he is pretty good. You ain't seen nothing of what Maxy can do yet. We have four guards thankyou, Afflalo, Stuck, Billups, and Rip and we don't need any more.

Hayes does not need to do anything. Flip just has to stop playing the guy. We don't need Hayes for anything. Afflalo and Amir can handle the backup small forward minutes.

I know that the way Flip is playing our players that we don't look that great. But lets take the Milwaukee mini series we just had. Playing the guys all wrong, trying to minimize the role of Afflalo and Amir, we can't even beat Milwaukee. But fully utilizing Amir and Afflalo, along with Stuck and JMAX, combined with simply not playing Hayes, guess what: We can beat Milwaukee by 40 to 50 points. This is no exageration. Its what just happened. This is how much better we just were in that series when Afflalo and Amir were playing (provided Hayes was not also playing along side them.)

We are about to add Dale Davis. Old yes, but he can still move very well on defense. As we subtract Hayes from the mix, we should be adding in Dale Davis for some added interior defense. We will still have a ten man rotation, one where all ten players are good defensive players. I am including Dyess here, as he is quite good on defense, as a backup center. We do have to minimize the time Dyess is on the floor with Sheed. By either starting Amir, or bringing him very early as the first big off the bench, this can be done. (Bringing JMAX is as the first big just continues the problem, too much beef, not enough perimeter D. The league just is not using 2 bigs for the most part. Now a days, everyone has a power forward who can knock down shots from 3 land. We must adjust.)

6. ggazoo69

No, that's Flip.

Van Gundy would challenge these guys more. Get in their face. This is a complacent team, mikhail. This team lacks toughness and tends to coast at times. And it's only gotten worse since Big Ben left. They need a coach to get in their grill once in a while. Nate McMillan would have been good IMO. I'd even take Skiles over Flip.

7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not going to happen. Van Gundy hates the Pistons.

8. ggazoo69

Well, it won't have to happen if the current coach evolves. And I think Joe D. could coax Van Gundy in here with the crew he'd get to coach. Van Gundy coached those tough Knick teams. I think he'd like an opportunity to bring back that blue-collar work ethic. Heck, it would be way better than coaching in Houston.

9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

It's very, and I mean, VERY! funny to read these posts after two blowout wins...

10. mikhail1973

Agreed wholeheartedly.

11. mikhail1973

We'll see what happens when going gets tough.

12. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Then I'm going to change my team...

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

:rofl: :rofl:

No! You must be here with me. Please.

14. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Good post. I totally agree with you.

15. mikhail1973

Roscoe, I'll stay here through thick and thin. (as long as they stay in the championship hunt, otherwise Lee will be unbearable)

:pound::pound::pound::gun1: